Need a Digital Video Camera

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003 | 09:35 PM
TRELOS

Need a Digital Video Camera

Guys I need a DAMM GOOD Digital Video camera that takes still shots. What do u guys recomend. I would like something that I can reload with a high capacity mag, oh the fly, don't wanna run outa ammo in a fire fight.

I am looking for one that can take HIGH quality pics and has a HIGH zoom.

I am pretty much looking for the best of the best.

If u guys could also give me a guesstamate on the price.

Oh and if any of u guys know of a place kinda like www.pricewatch.com is for computers, but for electronics.

Tnx

Juker008
Old 04-15-2003 | 09:44 PM
Instructor

By digital video camera, do you mean a digital camcorder (video and maybe still pictures) or a digital camera (stills only)?

Well, digital camcorders take good videos (thats what they're made for) but mediocre photos. Digital cameras on the other hand take great photos but crappy videos.

http://www.pricegrabber.com or http://www.mysimon.com are good price checking sites.
http://www.dpreview.com/ and http://www.steves-digicams.com/ are two good digital camera review sites.
Old 04-15-2003 | 09:45 PM
The Third Ball

Re: Need a Digital Video Camera

Originally posted by Juker008
Guys I need a DAMM GOOD Digital Video camera that takes still shots. What do u guys recomend. I would like something that I can reload with a high capacity mag, oh the fly, don't wanna run outa ammo in a fire fight.

I am looking for one that can take HIGH quality pics and has a HIGH zoom.

I am pretty much looking for the best of the best.

If u guys could also give me a guesstamate on the price.

Oh and if any of u guys know of a place kinda like www.pricewatch.com is for computers, but for electronics.

Tnx
Juker008
Youre in luck im the resident camera dork, as a matter of fact im a cinematographer.

You want the best. Well youll want a Sony PD-150, Canon XL-1S, or GL2, or the new Panasonic AG sumthin sumthin does standard def 24p.

They are all in the 2500-4000 range. they all take stills, cept maybe the xl1 dont remember.

Just be forewarned, yes they can take still pics, but the quality wont be as good as a normal digital still camera. but all of those cameras are prosumer/professional cameras. Im a sony guy myself. Any other questions PM me.
Old 04-15-2003 | 10:42 PM
TRELOS

Alright u guys really made my day.

1) for the price search engine.

2) the forums photo junky.

Hey sarlacc23, got any voyeur shots and vids to send me .

Oh one more thing for u guys, can I still get teh Sony Night Shot that when used in the day time works like an X Ray ?

Juker008
Old 04-15-2003 | 10:49 PM
The Third Ball

Originally posted by Juker008
Alright u guys really made my day.

1) for the price search engine.

2) the forums photo junky.

Hey sarlacc23, got any voyeur shots and vids to send me .

Oh one more thing for u guys, can I still get teh Sony Night Shot that when used in the day time works like an X Ray ?

Juker008
Im not that kind of a cinematographer

And the night shot is available on the but its not xray anymore.
Old 04-16-2003 | 07:36 AM
Racer

I have a SONY TVR730 digital 8 camorder. It also takes 1152 x 864 digital stills. I love the firewire and USB output. The firwire out to my laptop in makes awesome DVD's. I took 22 minutes of digital video at the 12 hour Sebring race this year. When I play the DVD back in super slo mo I can see what brand of tires the cars have as they go by at 100 mph. Very impressive!!!

I forgot to mention Sony's memory stick. My computer has a memory stick mouse. When I take digital stills all I have to do is remove the memory stick from the cam corder and insert it into the mouse. The computer auto reads the mouse and displays the stills. 1152 x 864 isn't the best resolution, but it is very good as most people don't display their moniotrs over 800 x 600.