Nearing the ol' 50k mark in 2003 6sp, warranty? (I know :search:)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005 | 09:41 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nearing the ol' 50k mark in 2003 6sp, warranty? (I know :search:)

Just to state a case that I know has been sort of beat to death, but considering my '03 is relatively new with high miles, I wanted to discuss the pros/cons of the extended warranty, either acura or 3rd party.

Only things I see besides powertrain failing that would really need the full 100k extended warranty for around $1000:

Power windows
CD Changer
Navi screen/unit
Seat Motors
HVAC
Xenons

I know the car is sound mechanically when 6sp and everything has been very reliable to this point.

$1000 is a lot to pay for anything, especially something I might not use

But the items listed above could near that total, some items if it alone failed...

Opinions?
Old 03-15-2005 | 10:26 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Hi I grew up in CC and have lots of family there. Everytime I go visit seems like I get a ticket.
Anyway, I think an extended is not a bad idea if you plan to keep it long term. The clutch could be a concern but I don't know if you can get it covered, the standard warranty doesn't cover it. Just the Navi could easily be $1-2000 itself IMO.
--Is your interior black??
Old 03-16-2005 | 06:34 AM
Team Owner

I got the extended warranty for piece of mind.
I hope I never use it, but it’s there if I need it.

How long have you had the car?
If you really drive that much, you’ll burn through those extra 50K miles pretty quickly and you’ll never hit the 7-year portion of the plan.

I went with the 7YR-75K plan myself because I don’t put that many miles on the car each year.
I’ve had the car 3-Years on Monday and I only have 28K on the clock so I’ll hit the years before the mile limit.
It was less then a 100K one would have cost.

On final piece of advice. Stay away from anything that’s not an official Honda/Acuracare plan.
Those aftermarket ones are cheaper, but good luck if you need to make a claim.

Shawn S
Old 03-16-2005 | 07:27 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
This might have been discussed before, but as the CL's get older I think it's worthy of further discussion.

I've got 32K miles on my 6spd, and it looks like I'll be keeping it past the standard warranty period. I don't have the extended warranty but I'm thinking that it might be good insurance. I'll probably wait till I have 48K miles before I do anything tho' (I'm a procrastinator).
Old 03-16-2005 | 08:47 AM
Masshole

I'm debating whether to get it as well. I'm at 48k right now on the 6spd. I plan to keep the car for a long time, and I put about 20-25k miles on it each year (daily driver, 30 mile drive to work each way).

I've had a few things changed out under warranty (dash leather, IAC valve, rattles) but what would be some long-term items that would be covered? For instance, the clutch wouldn't be, they'd probably say it was "wear and tear". Maybe some of you guys with high mileage 01's-02's can chime in?
Old 03-16-2005 | 09:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you skip the warranty and put the 1k in the bank you can afford to do some repair later on if needed. If you don't need it you are money ahead. If more than one thing craps out you may lose.

As reliable as Honda/Acura has been fro me I'll take the chance and keep the $$$.
Old 03-16-2005 | 09:35 AM
Team Owner

For those of you guys waiting, are you aware that the price goes UP as the car gets older?
When I bought mine, there were price increases at:
2YR – 24K
3YR – 36K
4YR – 48K

That’s why I got mine before the first increase.
Plus I’m sure they’re raising the overall prices as costs go up too.
Old 03-16-2005 | 10:40 AM
Got da Internet Goin Nutz

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Ask yourself this in regards to the warranty....

1. How long will it be until you get to 100K miles?
a. Will it be mostly highway miles?

2. What warranty work have you had done?
a. How much would it have cost?
b. Could it happen again?

3. Do you plan on the selling the car before 100K miles is up?

I know how driving in Texas is and I would have hit 100K miles in my '01 in '04 but I got rid of it at the end of '03 with 80K+ miles on the clock.

I did not get the extended warranty but I did keep all of my receipts from previous warranty work and before my 50K warranty was up I wrote a LONG letter to Acura describing the recurring issues I was having (breaks, windows not going down, pass. seat airbag sensor going out, etc.). I attached ALL of my receipts and told them that all of the problems I had were recurring and I had to get them fixed 2,3, and even 4 different times. They set me up with a meeting with the area rep and he told me that if I had any of the problems past 50K miles they would take care of them. I did have to take them up on this once and it saved me a good $500 to $600.

So check out your vehicles record thus far and if you have had no problems, I honestly doubt you will have any problems. If you are going to be at 100K miles with the next 2 years and you are doing mostly highway driving between TX cities I doubt you will ever even get to use the warranty.

If you are going to sell the car before a possible extended warranty is up, get the warranty it may be a good selling point. And last but not least, if you are a Worry Wart get the warranty!
Old 03-16-2005 | 11:49 AM
Team Owner

Received 602 Likes on 419 Posts
I just got mine. I think it will definately be worth it. Sensors and assorted little things always seem to add up. IMO, it's a good idea.
Old 03-17-2005 | 08:28 PM
Instructor

Thx for all the educated replies and no flames. Here are my intentions:

I used to put on a crapload of miles driving to the base and back when I was in Pensacola and also visiting my girl every month in Tennessee, which put on about 1000 a month extra.

Now I am engaged, living in Texas, soon to move to Jacksonville, and will be living with my Finace and not taking any crazy roadtrips. Living in Texas has really cut down on the miles I have been driving, but still I am at 45k for a 2003.

I think the issue is this, I plan to keep the car for a long time, hopefully 6 more years.

The acura extended warranty is nice, but has a time limit of 100k/7 years and will be around $1100

But being that I am now putting on a normal amount of miles and will be keeping the car for a long time (thus something major could come along at say, 95K) I am in a pickle as whether to shell out the cash or not right now while I still can

Maintenance wise, I have had it in several times for rattles, lights, etc, but the only part to actually fail was the windshield motor when I first got it!

My main point is I don't want to get screwed at 85k when navi and A/C go out and the bill is $1800 then dread the next repair...thanks for the input though, seems now I have to make a decision
Old 03-17-2005 | 08:52 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I bought the 7yr/100k when I purchased the car. I figure that it is cheap insurance against some large bill down the line. Cars, especially lux brands, are expensive to fix even if something minor goes wong. I got the $0 deuctible, so if anything mechanical fails between 50k-100k i dont have to pay a dime. Yes I may not end up having to use it, and that $1k was wasted, but can you put a price tag on peace of mind?

If you want to get the warranty just make sure you get the AcuraCare one, DO NOT get an aftermarket.