NBP Paint Color Match Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NBP Paint Color Match Issues

Hi,

If you guys may remember, I wrote a thread a while back about my gas door getting keyed up by some whore. I went yesterday to my dealer's bodyshop to get it repainted. When I got it back today (and paid $50), I realized how crappy the job was on the match. I only saw it in bad lighting at the dealer, but when I went home and looked at it in the sun, it looked dull and had a faint black that did not match my car. I have since left a message on the answering machine of the bodyshop about this.

I was told as I picked it up that the painter had to re-do the job a few times to get the black to match up, and of course it still didn't match after I left the dealer and checked it out! Not only that, when I was handed the recently painted and clear coated gas door, I saw already a ton of swirls! I guess they wanted to match the swirls to the rest of my swirl-infested paint!

Do you guys think this really is gonna be a problem and I won't get a black match to the gas door?

I do realize that the paint was fresh and barely cured, but it just looks whack on my car.

Lastly, I did note the bodyshop manager write down my paint codes and stuff from my door. Supposedly this is one of my area's "best" bodyshops too...
Old 05-07-2003, 07:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if it was only 50 dollars they probably didnt paint the whole door they probably just airbrushed the part that was keyed, its a decent fix but its never going to look the same as repainting the whole thing
Old 05-07-2003, 07:24 PM

They say that they sand off the previous paint/primer, and start over....i dunno
Old 05-07-2003, 08:25 PM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

The body shop couldn't match my NBP either when I had hail damage. They eventually had to repaint the entire car.
Old 05-07-2003, 08:35 PM

SHIT, that does not sound good. BTW, where in N. Potomac? (PM me)
Old 05-07-2003, 09:59 PM
Where is my super sauce?

They probably have to blend the panel to make the cover match perfectly. It'll probably cost more then $50 to make that happen.
Old 05-08-2003, 02:28 AM
Three Wheelin'

mine didnt paintmatch exactly either... NBP with the blue sparkles is tough to match i suppose
Old 05-08-2003, 02:23 PM

I took it back and the painter said "i'll take care of it, i know whats wrong" and said to come back tomorrow.

I wish he had known about whatever the problem was 2 days ago!
Old 05-08-2003, 03:04 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
I scratched up the side of my car over the winter and when I took it to a body shop here in N.Virginia they were able to match it up perfectly. They came highly recommended from this board and ATL.com ... The owners were two young guys both very nice. One of them owned a pimped out IS300...

It was an expensive fix, $750 (I basically scraped up a good portion of the rear driver's side quarter panel and dented part of the wheel well) ... the damage was a lot worse than a keyjob.

But it looked practically brand new when I got it back... The blue "pieces" in the paint and everything ... Color match was great. They explained the entire clear coating process to me and how they do it differently than most people (they put on the clearcoat and let it air cure versus most places which use a heater to dry the clear coat).. I dont know much about painting cars, but I was definitely pleased with the results!!!

BTW- I took it to D&V Autobody in Chantilly, VA.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:03 AM

geez...I went to the bodyshop on Friday and saw the newly re-painted gas door and this time the black was much better/richer but OH NO, where are the blue specks in the paint?

They took me to the painting area with the mixers and showed me the color chip of "my" color in a flipbook. It was listed as Nighthawk Black (no Pearl at end) and my color as written on door jamb, ends in "X" but none of the color chips they had contained an X, so they ignored it. The manager says they don't have any forumla for my exact color from Honda, but will call them Monday.

I can't believe this..a few days now stuck with a "blue loaner" gas door on my black car!
Old 05-11-2003, 02:07 PM

What do you guys think? Is it really rare for a "accedited" bodyshop to not be able to mix a correct color for me?
Old 05-11-2003, 03:00 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by AgentDSS
What do you guys think? Is it really rare for a "accedited" bodyshop to not be able to mix a correct color for me?
If they are the paint shop your dealer uses, they SHOULD know better!!!!! You think this is the FIRST NBP car they have ever done work on????? I DONT THINK SO!!!! Sounds like the painter got lazy. SHITTY!!!!
Old 05-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally posted by AgentDSS
They should be able to BUY the Nighthawk Black Pearl paint if they want to match it. I think the place you went to just isn't trying hard enough or doing a good enough job. If you still aren't pleased with the results after they finish I say tell them to shove it and that you're not paying them and you're taking your business elsewhere.

Seriously, when I took my car to D&V Autobody I asked them if they could match the NBP paint perfectly and they said they use the same paint mixing system that Acura uses in the factory. Same brand of paint too. And they matched it perfectly when I got the car back.
Old 05-11-2003, 04:40 PM

Yea this situation sucks. They said they COULD mix it if only they had the formula instructions for the mixer. At first the guys were lazy and admitted a newbie painter did my job but then the 2nd time a veteran guy did it, but of course did not have the blue specks. The manager was deperatley trying to get a paint chip for my car running around the shop gettin other workers to help I guess I'll have to find out monday.

They also said the paint chips they used were 2-stage (2 diff. paints) but I said I'm sure mine is 3-stage (probably the last one is the blue specks).