NAVI Point of Interest, help me out!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001 | 12:11 PM
Advanced

NAVI Point of Interest, help me out!!!!!!!

Can someone to a little experiment on their NAVI to prove I'm not going insane?

I can't believe this is right but this is what happens:

I punch in a POI like walmart or wal mart or wal-mart.

I feel there should be hundreds stored in the system.

I ask for all wal marts sorted by distance to travel.

Only one shows up and it's 1200 miles from me?????

Can anyone else verify if you have only one walmart?

Same for Eckerd drugs, etc.

Also, anyone notice that when you ask the NAVI to guide you to a destination by direct route, that it doesn't give the most direct route. Then when I don't follow the directions and take the direct road, it recaclulates and finally figures out "oh yea, sorry, go this way, it's shorter, Duhhh"

Any other's experiences appreciated.

Bottom line is I love the navi but these few things, if fixed would make it an intelligent system instead of just a high tech system that's a little stupid.
Old 09-01-2001 | 12:35 PM
Race Director

We know the Navi is not perfect when it comes to calculating routes. In your home town, you can easily tell what's the shortest route but you know this but if you were out of town, you would follow the [not so shortest route] and you would be fine. That's why I (and others) have mentioned that we wish the Navi would learn so if it calculates an incorrect route from home to work and you go another route, sooner or later, it would go ahead and use your route. But according to the algorithm, that route must be the shortest route indeed, perhaps it would be helpful to use Mapquest or some other software to verify or just drive both and see what's really shorter. Unfortunately, it's not the best, I hope it gets better in subsequent revisions.

As for POI, that's all screwed up. Wal-Mart might be located in Louisville and Wal Mart might be in Portlant. All the other Wal-mart stores might be under Wal-mart. Depends on how they are listed. If it says "Walmart Store", it might only include a group of 5 stores. They all need to be combined but in reality, how do you tell the difference? Is Billy Bob's the same as Billybob's or Billybobb's? Somebody needs to clean up that database......
Old 09-01-2001 | 01:19 PM
foe
Racer

MAp Quest also doesnt give the most direct route, only you can deside that.
Old 09-01-2001 | 04:03 PM
Racer

I agree... There have been several occasions when I am trying to find something like target, walmart, bestbuy ... major retail outlets and the navi has a really hard time finding the one thats close by. I am sure it is just due to the way the stores are listed in the database but it can sometimes be a big pain in the ass! It would be nice if they could clean this up in a updated version.

As far as the funky directions... I've had that happen alot too. Have any of you Northern VA people ever used the Navi to tell you the route between say Centreville or Fairfax to Potomac yards? The Navi always trys to take me all the way into DC and then back into alexandria/crystal city. Its much better just to take the pentagon city exit off of 66 that swings you by the pentagon. Also, when you take this route right after you get on the pentagon city exit the Navi freaks out and gives an error saying something like "can't continue trip from this location"... this happens EVERYTIME! Pretty weird.
Old 09-02-2001 | 12:34 PM
Advanced

this last reply is exactly what I'm talking about. It's not a subtle mistake, you look at the total blue line route and you think, "why would I drive twice the distance to get there????". Anyway I saw a post where the new version 2.05 is out, but until I know that the "brains" are fixed or the database is cleaned up, I don't need just upgraded roads.