Navi: Incredible...wow!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2003, 10:16 PM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Navi: Incredible...wow!

Watch for the smitty thread about my new 03 cls6 anthricite pics with cool wheels. But, I gotta say, this is about the navi option.

First, some soliquily here. When I first drove a CLS6, coming from an RSX-S, I was overwhealmed and bought the car on the spot, no regrets. To save space here, watch for the post by smitty, about my second CLS6 in seven months. It involves wheels and car colors. Custom ones.

Whatever. I got anal about cost (who doesn't?) and bought this premium car, sans spoiler, sans navi, and, I loved the thing!

Then, a wheel coating thing happened, and although I had cool looking wheels, they did not go with the satin silver, IMHO.

So, I changed to anthricite, and it looks pretty cool, I think.

Point is: these are $30,000 cars, guys! I know, money is always an object, but if you play in this sphere, get what YOU want.

I am happy with what I did, After all, after $30K, the Acura mods add only about 10% to the cost of the car.

But, the Navi is REALLY, WAY COOL. If you travel, and if you have ANY thoughts about buying a CLS in ANY form, check out the navi! It is way cool!

It cost me $7,000 to do this the wrong way first, but I do not regret. I learned something, something important.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:24 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it is 4 years old piece of technology.... I wish we can see a WOW NAVI/Assitant in the new TL...
Old 06-26-2003, 10:40 PM
Drifting

Nevertheless, I am impressed. My VP bought a G35S with a navi, and he demoed it to me. Not much difference!
Old 06-26-2003, 10:42 PM
Racer

Anybody would be impressed with our navi system, If they were not already used to operating it.

So far, in the year and a half of ownership every new passenger in my car has been amazed by the functionality, user friendlyness, and technology of the navigation system.

Even people with nicer cars are bambuzzled by the navin in my car.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:44 PM
Drifting

It might be 4 years old, but it still the best I've seen.

The Acura navi straight clowns BMWs newest one.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:18 PM
whoXwanXsum

fuck all navi haters.

navi is the shit.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:21 PM
Old timer

After all the time I spend in MDXs and TSXs the CL/TL navi is so dated-looking.

That said I'm still not sure I'd buy a vehicle with navi. The new one definitely appeals to me more now than the one did in '01 when I bought my CL.
Old 06-27-2003, 10:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Navi is the shiznit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2003, 10:46 AM
Advanced

I just bought an 03 with the Nav and 4 years old or not, that thing rocks. it still has the best mapping software hands down, and being able to find me a golf course and Chinese food no matter where I am in the country is worth the extra money alone!!!
Old 06-27-2003, 10:54 AM
Where is my super sauce?

I love my '4 year old' navi in my 1 year old car. I would not have bought the car without it. Absolutely awesome!

...although an update on the POI database would be nice. Just as we get a new Yellow Pages delivered to our door each year, a new DVD would be nice too, even at its inflated price. Acura, are you reading this?!?!?
Old 06-27-2003, 11:15 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
NAVI RULES!!!.....nuff said.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:21 PM
Cruisin'

I bought an 03. Navi is awsome.

BMW 03 NAvi was cd based crap!

4yrs. old or not it's cool!
Old 06-27-2003, 01:35 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by NYCLS

BMW 03 NAvi was cd based crap!

No, BMW switched to DVD based navi for most of their vehicles in the '03 models.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:38 PM
Unregistered Member

Originally posted by psolk
I just bought an 03 with the Nav and 4 years old or not, that thing rocks. it still has the best mapping software hands down,
As good as it might seem, have you compared it with some of the other manufacturer's systems lately?

Lexus, for one, is head and shoulders above the 1st generation Acura navi (in ALL aspects). I would like to do a hands-on comparison of the 2nd generation Acura navi though (found in the new Accord, MDX etc...)
Old 06-27-2003, 01:40 PM
6mt
Instructor

went to nyc last weekend... i was driving around manhattan like i've lived there for years. nyc is the one place where you don't wanna ask anyone for directions... navi rullz!
Old 06-27-2003, 01:46 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Tom2
As good as it might seem, have you compared it with some of the other manufacturer's systems lately?

Lexus, for one, is head and shoulders above the 1st generation Acura navi (in ALL aspects). I would like to do a hands-on comparison of the 2nd generation Acura navi though (found in the new Accord, MDX etc...)
Aren't you off by a generation -- isn't the current MDX/Accord/TSX navi Acura's third navigation system. Didn't a hard drive based system pre-date the DVD based systems? (I've never seen one so I cannot comment on any user interface differences between the hard drive and DVD based systems)
Old 06-27-2003, 01:53 PM
Unregistered Member

Slimey,

Yes, you're right. I shoud have said 1st and 2nd generation DVD Navi.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:59 PM
Banned

wow, 7,000 dollars for a completely abandoned and outdated navi system, thats a killer deal!!

that dealership is probably still laughing about that transaction.

what you did is like selling your entire house because you dont like the kitchen cabinets....what a waste, you couldve easily updated the stereo/navi system for HALF that money and walked away with a system 10 times better than the outdated navi you just bought.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:05 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by jimcol711
wow, 7,000 dollars for a completely abandoned and outdated navi system, thats a killer deal!!

that dealership is probably still laughing about that transaction.

what you did is like selling your entire house because you dont like the kitchen cabinets....what a waste, you couldve easily updated the stereo/navi system for HALF that money and walked away with a system 10 times better than the outdated navi you just bought.
Meanie!
He also got the car in the color he wanted and is now driving the car that he wants to be in.

His choice; his money. Why would you care? And it wouldn't be unheard of to sell a house because you didn't like the cabinets, or you didn't like one tree in the yard or something else that seems trivial to a random outsider. It's a personal thing. In the end it doesn't effect you at all -- so who cares?
Old 06-27-2003, 04:08 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hellz yeah i love my Navi. Its worth the 2 grand charge.

BTW Jim likes to find shit he can pounce on and laugh at for being negative in his mind. Wether its the CL in general or now someone getting a Nav system. However pick up trucks, now thats some funny shit.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
werd. My friend has an 01 323ci. He has navi and is sucks so bad.... probably the worst navigation system I have ever used.

Originally posted by Tom2
No, BMW switched to DVD based navi for most of their vehicles in the '03 models.
Old 06-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
Not to hijack the thread here, but are the newer acura/honda navi systems disabled once in gear? I hate that shit..... with my Z (although an incredible system), it sucks that I cant change routes and shit while driving.... I know it's a safety thing, blah blah....
Old 06-27-2003, 05:56 PM
Drifting

Jim: go look at some pictures a few posts down. I'm sure the motive will become apparent, espescially if you bother to READ my post.

Question, guys: My new anthricite was delivered to Columbus in september, 2002, and sat there for 9 months. I have version 2.05. Is this the latest? And what is the upgrade cost?

Also, the book says to "push on the clock (with your finger), and it will enlarge. Push again to return" Mine stays one size. Something wrong here?

I would also appreciate comments about the benefits vs. costs of OnStar. I have a cell phone provided by the company, and I NEVER see the bill. Talk me through this! Thanks.
Old 06-27-2003, 06:23 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by dfreder370
Question, guys: My new anthricite was delivered to Columbus in september, 2002, and sat there for 9 months. I have version 2.05. Is this the latest? And what is the upgrade cost?
You have the latest version. The next version was supposed to come out in September 2002, and we're all still waiting. Last I heard, it was coming out in September 2003. Cost is about $150 if I recall correctly. You can buy it online via Acura.com or from a dealer.

Also, the book says to "push on the clock (with your finger), and it will enlarge. Push again to return" Mine stays one size. Something wrong here?
Well, it enlarges and gets centered in the screen. This is only if you never hit the OK button on the startup screen and you are only running it in 'clock' mode. If you are using the navi, the clock will stay the same size in the right lower corner.

I would also appreciate comments about the benefits vs. costs of OnStar. I have a cell phone provided by the company, and I NEVER see the bill. Talk me through this! Thanks.
Cost -- expensive. I use it and like it, but I'm hardly on my cell phone, so it's OK pricewise. You pay ahead for the phone, I get 100 minutes for about 40¢/minute at a time. It also costs money just to keep the system set up (about $200/year, if I remember correctly). Check out http://www.Onstar.com for more info and price schedules. I itemize phone costs as a business expense on my taxes, so I don't really care that much.

The dealer should have set you up for your first year of OnStar service (free). If not, just push the OnStar button and talk to the friendly lady. She'll be happy to set you up. You also get 30 'free' phone minutes during the start up.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:04 PM
Drifting

Time for navi conversion
Old 06-27-2003, 07:40 PM
Drifting

Slimey: How do you bypass OK? It is the only choice.

Am I missing something here?
Old 06-27-2003, 08:53 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Slimey: How do you bypass OK? It is the only choice.

Am I missing something here?
Just don't push OK, wait about 30 seconds and your screen will go blank except for the clock (and maybe one other touch button).

I think you can also get to this screen through the setup panel (check out the screen controls) if I remember correctly.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:09 AM
Drifting

Slimey: OK. I see. Thanks. I haven't tried it yet, but I think you are talking about the shutdown sreen, the one with the stars.
Old 06-28-2003, 12:51 PM
Racer

I hate you all i want a navi
Old 06-28-2003, 01:44 PM
Drifting

GD196: You CAN buy an aftermarket navi, and from what I hear, they are as good, or even better than the Acura navi. They are made by Kenwood and Panasonic, and I think they go for about $900, and I think the screens are at least twice as large as the navi in the cls. Here are a few ideas:

* check out www.abt.com if that doesn't work, try www.abtelectronics.com Abt is an UPSCALE electronics and appliance supplier in Chicago, and their pricing is fantastic! You NEVER pay what their already reasonable price is, bargain with them. And the more you buy, the more they knock off the price.

* Likewise, check out the websites for Kenwood and Panasonic.

* You can try Best Buy or Circuit City, but I never have seen them there, but I wasn't looking either.

* Start a thread here about "Aftermarket Navis. How good are they?" I bet you will get a lot of answers.

But, I know what you mean. They are neat devices. Not only can you find gas station, restaurants and ATMs with the navi, it displays them as icons on the display! I have only had my navi 5 days. I don't know it all, but I know enough to get anywhere in the country, and SCREW the maps!

And, damn this thing is smart! I asked for a route to Chicago from Cincinnatti to the Acura dealer I go to in Chicago (you never have to tell it the starting point-I mean, it KNOWS where it is) and it gave me the shortest route. But that would have routed me through some severe road construction, so I blew it off, expecting the navi to tell me to turn around. I expected that, or an abort message. Nope! Within about an 1/8th of a mile the message "Recalculating Route" came on, and a new solution was offered to get off on the very street my dealer is on, but I would have to drive through four crowder chicago burbs, so, I blew that off also. I did this a third time, and the fourth recalculation told me to exit I 90 one mile from the dealer.

The thing is just like our heated seats. Once you have experienced them, you arent going to live without them again.

See the post "dfreder370s new ride" I had a 03 CLS6 non navi in satin silver and I got a trick powder coating for my Acura wheels. I decided I HAD to have an anthricite CLS 6 speeder, and I also threw in the navi, probably because I didn't want to be criticized here by others for having 2 03 CLS6s in seven months for changing the color only. It was a good move. I'm not looking back!
Old 06-28-2003, 02:18 PM
A-CL Zen Buddha Master

03 MDX NAVI

My dad just bought a 03 MDX Touring and the NAVI does blow away my 02 CLS NAVI. Major differences:

- Bigger Higher contrast screen
- Screen inverts instead of dimming when headlight on
- "3D" view of turns and offramps.
- Voice control. (This is actaully pretty cool...very good recognition)
Some commands: "What time is it?"
"How long until I get there?"
"Find nearest <type> resturant?"
and 57 more.
- Better Layout
- Offroad (cookie crumb) feature.
- Infrared Reverse Camera
- Can track more sats. (I think our max at 7 and MDX was 12)
- Faster route calculation..from 18s avg to 5s avg.

--------------------------
2002 CLS w/ NAV
Old 06-29-2003, 10:39 AM
Racer

hey dfreder thanks for all the info i have to look into this now
Old 06-29-2003, 12:59 PM
Drifting

Runis: I am sure you are correct, but I am STILL thrilled by the thing. When they once again bring out the next 2 door large coupe (Acura, that is, ansd I hope), I am pretty sure we will have the big navi that is better and the kick ass voice command system that the New Accord has. From what I understand, in the Accord you can operate the heaters, windows, etc all by voice. The MDX got that?

Also, from what I understand, the 04 TL will NOT have windshield wipers, but use high velocity air to keep the windshield dry! I can't wait to see how they pull that off...
Old 06-29-2003, 01:04 PM
Drifting

peiquinglong: How did you get that image on the dvd? And what happens if you put a disc other than the navi disc in the dvd player? Is it possible to put a movie in it? and if so, would it have sound? I'm not brave enough to go screwing around with it yet!
Old 06-29-2003, 01:22 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
I will never buy another car without navi. Worth every penny. Mine is pretty good functionality wise, but like synth said while yyou are driving you can't change the route... Here's a pic of 'bird's eye' mode (which isn't so much useful as it just looks kinda cool):

Old 06-29-2003, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

the acura navi spoiled me. the bmw navi totally fucken SUCKS!!!
Old 06-29-2003, 04:41 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
the 04 TL will NOT have windshield wipers, but use high velocity air to keep the windshield dry! I can't wait to see how they pull that off...
That was only in concept form along with the cameras for side view mirrors. I don't think we're gonna see that on the production model. To bad too.
Old 06-29-2003, 09:59 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Chaptorial
That was only in concept form along with the cameras for side view mirrors. I don't think we're gonna see that on the production model. To bad too.
forced air won't remove bugs, etc. its a cool idea, but it wouldn't be as functional as regular wipers.