Navi bitching

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2001, 12:59 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Navi bitching

I tried to save my current location the other day. And when I went to try to drive back there, it just puts me on the beginning of the road rather then the destitation. what i mean is I tried to save my location at a mall, and when I tried to follow the directions back there it took me the beginning the main road that the mall is on which was 5miles away. I didn't have a clue where I was and I thought I was lost. What sucked is that I had a girlfriend in the car. So she was like You paid $2000 for this??? I thought when you save your current location it was going by the lat and longtiude. Also I think Acura should of built in a Scratch pad for quickly writing down telephone numbers and stuff. Also maybe include some simple games to entertain your passenger while driving.
Old 01-20-2001, 01:26 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the games and the scratchpad will be coming in due time when things calm down about distractions in the cockpit. Presently that would never fly, perhaps you can use one of the other many devices available on the market to accomplish this.

That's too bad about your Navi incident. That would be rather embarassing if it didn't work as expected when demonstrating to a girlfriend; your guy friends ok, but to the lady; ouch!

I have never had this problem with the Navi, it seems to work fine with me. I don't save a lot of places because the vast majority of my destinations are already within the database. The buttons on the Navi are not the most intuitive and combined with a multi-functional joystick and different zoom levels, perhaps the destination you thought you were saving, wasn't. Maybe you can delete it and go back and resave (little consolation at this point).

Anyway, here's some advice that I follow for almost everything in my life and it would apply to the Navi, SportShift, and other CL things as well: Practice, practice, practice so that you can know your own business intimately.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *

[This message has been edited by kensteele (edited 01-20-2001).]
Old 01-20-2001, 06:50 PM
Advanced

I saved my home as a location, but it puts the destination on the nearest "digitized road" since my house is not on a digitized road.

------------------
South Jersey: 2001 Acura CL-s Gold with navi/spoiler/splashguards/V1/w/cdu
stock 1/4 mile 14.698sec@95.91mph
Atco Raceway 12/1/00
Old 01-20-2001, 07:37 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rdsandy:
I saved my home as a location, but it puts the destination on the nearest "digitized road" since my house is not on a digitized road.

</font>
Yeah that is the problem that I'm having, I wish that it would try to get you as close as possible to the lat & longtiude readings. Another complaint is that I just want to go to a particular street, but it must have the address on the street before it will let you map it out. Same thing for when I just want to go to a city, it must have a street and address. Really pisses me off sometimes.
Old 01-20-2001, 07:37 PM
Suzuka Master

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Achance:
I tried to save my current location the other day. And when I went to try to drive back there, it just puts me on the beginning of the road rather then the destitation. what i mean is I tried to save my location at a mall, and when I tried to follow the directions back there it took me the beginning the main road that the mall is on which was 5miles away. I didn't have a clue where I was and I thought I was lost. What sucked is that I had a girlfriend in the car. So she was like You paid $2000 for this??? I thought when you save your current location it was going by the lat and longtiude. Also I think Acura should of built in a Scratch pad for quickly writing down telephone numbers and stuff. Also maybe include some simple games to entertain your passenger while driving. </font>

I think it saves it by address rather than lat/long. cuz my new work location was off by 1/8 mile and i had to do a save current location and it just saved a new address. for the Phonebook, i agree w/ you what i just do is just put the number in where you can search for POI through phone number. then when im at a light or something i just call it w/ my phone.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers soon now that I have a JOB again. hehe

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load.
Old 01-20-2001, 09:23 PM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Achance:
Originally posted by rdsandy:

</font>
Yeah that is the problem that I'm having, I wish that it would try to get you as close as possible to the lat & longtiude readings. Another complaint is that I just want to go to a particular street, but it must have the address on the street before it will let you map it out. Same thing for when I just want to go to a city, it must have a street and address. Really pisses me off sometimes.
Can't you just put in any number within the range that appears at the bottom? For a city, I think (I could be wrong) that a big city like Chicago, could be any place since it has all the roads in the database. Hannibal, Iowa won't require you to put in a street address because it won't have streets in the database. Yep, the Navi could be better but I think we are seeing some of the same thinking with other features. They're trying to keep it simple, really simple; not like my handheld Garmin GPS III+. Now that's complicated.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *