My Power steering feels weird

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 12:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Power steering feels weird

Normally my steering wheel feels lighter than my mom's 325i but now it's kinda stiff which doesn't feel right. I checked the Power Steering Fluid and the level is at lower which after reading the manual it said that this is bad and then I went to Pepboys to get ready and buy the fluid and checked again before I went in and now the level is in between upper and lower. Do I need more Power Steering Fluid and is it suppose to fluctuate like that? Plus when I turn my steering wheel left and right you can hear squeaky noises from the outside.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

I guess no one can help me =\
Old 01-30-2005, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
How cold was it ??

My CLS's power streering gets real tight when it's cold out (below freezing). The whole car feels very "heavy and tight" when it's below 10 degrees. Sorta like how I feel on a cold monday morning (want to stay in bed).

Typically, you have a choice between checking the fluid warm or cold, and there will be corresponding "Hot" and "Cold" levels (marks). I'm not familiar with the "correct" fluid level on the CL (I've never checked mine :0 ), but the owners manual should cover this.

edit: Squealing could be a loose or worn belt too.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:53 PM
Meat stick

Received 229 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenMonster
How cold was it ??

My CLS's power streering gets real tight when it's cold out (below freezing). The whole car feels very "heavy and tight" when it's below 10 degrees. Sorta like how I feel on a cold monday morning (want to stay in bed).

Typically, you have a choice between checking the fluid warm or cold, and there will be corresponding "Hot" and "Cold" levels (marks). I'm not familiar with the "correct" fluid level on the CL (I've never checked mine :0 ), but the owners manual should cover this.

also, if the fluid has broken down, it may need to be replaced....also, the sqealing may indicate a failing PS pump....so change the fluid ASAP to try and save the pump
Old 01-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by racersky
Normally my steering wheel feels lighter than my mom's 325i but now it's kinda stiff which doesn't feel right. I checked the Power Steering Fluid and the level is at lower which after reading the manual it said that this is bad and then I went to Pepboys to get ready and buy the fluid and checked again before I went in and now the level is in between upper and lower. Do I need more Power Steering Fluid and is it suppose to fluctuate like that? Plus when I turn my steering wheel left and right you can hear squeaky noises from the outside.
I had something similar happen in my 03 6 speed. Steering felt stiff and the fluid was low, and I was under 10Kmiles. Made an appointment with service, then called parts to ask how much a bottle of PS fluid for an 03 CL would be. Parts guy says "you shouldn't need PS fluid." I explained I had an appointment, got the fluid, topped it off, took it in a few days later.

Service said that the rack was leaking from both ends, ordered a new PS rack, replaced it under warranty, been fine since.

They even offered to reimburse me for the bottle of fluid... Continental Acura of Dupage in Naperville IL is a great dealership.

Good luck to you.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:15 PM
Intermediate

Hey,

I just had both lower ball joints replaced under warranty (03 6sp with 35kmiles). I didn't notice any tightness but there was a squeak when turning the wheel that you could really hear if you were in a parking garage.

Good luck figuring out what it is.

Blackdog
Old 01-30-2005, 03:26 PM
Burning Brakes

blah i guess i have to take it to the dealer again once more. After counting how many times i took my car to the dealer it's been exactly 16 times. Most for the same problems.