My Legend/NSX Calipers Brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 06:07 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Legend/NSX Calipers Brake upgrade

Finally had some free time.

I bought a set of used 1994 Legend Coupe Front Calipers and installed them on my car. They are 2-piston rods versus our stock 1-piston (45mm?).

I got the Legend ones as they are cheaper (look exactly like stock). NSX ones cost more because of the NSX logo and gloss finish. Maybe the dumb dealers wont be able to tell the different when you take you car in for service.

Front Calipers that should work:
93-95 Legend LS Coupe (40mm and 38mm)
94-95 Legend GS Sedan
91-96 NSX (40mm and 36mm)
97+ NSX (not sure)

Cheapest place to get these are at recycled part places or junkyards. You can also get a rebuild kit if you are afraid these old ones dont work.

Costs: Used New
Legend calipers $100-150 $350+
NSX Calipers $300+ $800+
Brake fluid to re-bleed brake-lines $10

Rebuild kit for Legend is roughly $70 for both sides which includes new seals and dust boots. I didn't rebuild mine since they were said to be fully functional when I bought them.

Total cost = $100 calipers + $10 brake fluid + $80 labour = ~$190

Install:
Take wheels off
Unscrew screws that hold caliper onto the caliper bracket .
Only need to use caliper from Legend/NSX; Just take caliper apart from Legend/NSX bracket.
The caliper from the Legend should BOLT-ON directly! It fits PERFECTLY!!
Bleed brake-lines (ask someone else to help you)
Lube all screws and bolt calipler on.
Get some brake cleaner and clean the caliper.
Bolt wheels back on and voila!

Total time: Just over 1 HOUR!!!!!! Btw, I did not install this myself. I had my friend do it for me. For those asking how hard it is? If you can change yourown tires and bleed your own brake-lines, then this will be a breeze. Otehrwise, Labour may cost you around say under $100...?

I did not bother to paint my calipers as I am time constrained at the moment. Maybe in the future.

Performance:
Our stock 1-piston are much thicker but with 2-pistons, it redistributes the pressure when the caliper clamps the brake pads providing better brake stability/pressure even longer padwear. I am currenty still using my stock brake pads.

So far from my test over the week, I do notice better pedal feel. None of that "touch brake slighly and whole car jerks" syndrome. I feel I have more control of the whole car (similar to the feel from having SS Brakelines). I think this is a pretty cheap upgrade and decent upgrade. I cant prove I stop faster as I havent had time to test or mash the gas pedal in the city. Maybe mid-summer.

I came upon this project when my buddy told me I should get better brakes. He was going to do it on his old Prelude until he ended up selling it. Then I searched around and found others doing it as well. Dont you just love Honda. Lots of parts are easily interchangeable between cars.

Pics???? Sorry I didnt take any. I did this late at nite at 10pm! Believe if you want I guess.
They look just like stock....unless you paint them calipers.
QUestions/comments??? Otherwise... Cheers for now.

BTW... I ride in a 2000 J32A1.
The following users liked this post:
ACCOUPE (03-23-2013)