My dealership could not align car! :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 11:42 AM
Black is a ***** to Clean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My dealership could not align car! :(

I recently had 235/45/17 Toyo T1-S Proxys put on my stock '03 rims and tried to get an alignment (I had just had car lowered w/ Teins). The techs simply could not get the Hunter alignment senors to grab onto the rim since the tires had that lip protector. In addition, the width of the tire is also larger than usual. The techs also tried de-flating the tires but to no luck.

What am I to do? Hunter's site shows an optional accessory for their systems that has the sensors grab around the TIRE instead of the rim. I've called a few places around me (DC/MD/VA) but all have said they don't have that accessory. HELPPPPPP!
Old 09-18-2003, 11:44 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

PAA has one
Old 09-18-2003, 12:03 PM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Zapata
PAA has one
YUP.

When PAA did my alignment with the 18’s on Jens put rubber adapter tips on the devices and grabbed the wheels from the INSIDE of the RIM.
Sounds like the operator didn’t know WTF he was doing.

Shawn S
Old 09-18-2003, 03:56 PM

What do you mean from INSIDE the rim? I don't think any device can get between my rim lip and tire bead..too damn tight
Old 09-18-2003, 06:41 PM
Advanced

It doesnt need to "grab" the rim just be mounted so it doesn't move. It could be mounted on a bent rim and still be set to align. Hard to explain but the machine knows and compensates for it. Your tech just doesn't know how his alignment machine works.

Dan
Old 09-18-2003, 07:35 PM
Sweet as Gold

It's not that the tech doesn't know what he's doing...90% of all alignment racks use the standard hunter rack...which means they all have the standard wheel brackets w/ the lazer eyes mounted on them. Vehicles don't come from the factory w/ those type of tires so they don't have a need for it...when a car comes in w/ that set-up...how are you gonna blame the tech because the tool won't fit the AFTERMARKET tires...It's also true that hunter sells an adapter that will grab the inside of a wheel but again...it won't work w/ many stock wheels so there is no demand for it at a dealer that strictly works on stock vehicles!!!
Old 09-19-2003, 03:46 AM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
See if a local BMW dealer can help you out , we have all the adaptors for oversize wheels (18 inch plus) or rims without a lip and tires that have rim protectors .Most BMW dealers should have the correct adaptors to get your aligned without issue .Another place to check are the local rim and tire distributors ,the usually will have more up to date equipment .ANother possibilty is to contac the Tire Rack (online tire seller) and ask if they can reco a shop local to you that cna handle your vehicle's special requirements .
Jens
Old 09-19-2003, 09:25 AM

Thanks, I'll give those a try Jens
Old 09-19-2003, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

I had the same problems at my local tire shops....i just settled for a "okay" aligment job.
Old 09-19-2003, 07:44 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Ant7701
It's not that the tech doesn't know what he's doing...90% of all alignment racks use the standard hunter rack...which means they all have the standard wheel brackets w/ the lazer eyes mounted on them. Vehicles don't come from the factory w/ those type of tires so they don't have a need for it...when a car comes in w/ that set-up...how are you gonna blame the tech because the tool won't fit the AFTERMARKET tires...It's also true that hunter sells an adapter that will grab the inside of a wheel but again...it won't work w/ many stock wheels so there is no demand for it at a dealer that strictly works on stock vehicles!!!
The head doesn't need to grab the wheel. It just needs to be mounted on the wheel so it doesn't move reletive to the wheel. The lasers and computer calibrates the rest.

The adapters actually bite in to the metal and will put dimples in the wheel.

Go to a real alignment shop and talk to their tech.

Your tech may know what he's doing on a stock wheel but he still doesn't know how his alignment machine works.
Old 09-20-2003, 03:23 PM
Back to Four Doors

Re: My dealership could not align car! :(

Originally posted by AgentDSS
I recently had 235/45/17 Toyo T1-S Proxys put on my stock '03 rims and tried to get an alignment (I had just had car lowered w/ Teins). The techs simply could not get the Hunter alignment senors to grab onto the rim since the tires had that lip protector. In addition, the width of the tire is also larger than usual. The techs also tried de-flating the tires but to no luck.

What am I to do? Hunter's site shows an optional accessory for their systems that has the sensors grab around the TIRE instead of the rim. I've called a few places around me (DC/MD/VA) but all have said they don't have that accessory. HELPPPPPP!
I had the same problem with my Toyo's. Unfortuntately, the alignment job was SO BAD, the tires didn't last for shit. Shame on me for not paying attention.

Anyway, put on new Sumi's and went to another shop. They said that they deflate the tires slightly, mount the alignment equipment, and refill the tires. For me ... a perfect alignment. Most shops said they couldn't do the alignment because of the "curb guards."

Good luck.