My car got flooded

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car got flooded

I might be the first one to have there cl flooded on this board...so I figured Id post this horror story.

heres a pic of my car now its pretty low...and i know the capabilities of it, so no guys i wasnt tryin to push my car to the limits and get through the water...

On weds the 9th there was some pretty bad rain....On my way to work on Rt 17 in northern NJ. For people who know the highway this happened on the southbound side near the Wendys and the Stadium Automall. I get pass light intersecting union and 17 and I see some cars slowing down..so Im like oh theres probably some water on the highway and people are going slow through the puddle (mind you this is a highway and you cant just pull an illegal u turn bc this is what happened last time someone tried to . Well I get up to the water and I see its pretty deep maybe 1ft+ deep in the middle..so Im braked looking at the water in the midddle lane and there are people blowing past me. I think to myself I aint going through this at all how am I going to get around....Then from all the cars passing me there were some waves being made and some of the water that got pushed back from the waves of water got my intake wet and I stall out..SO im like Sh*t i guess im gonna wait here for a tow truck...Then the rain starts terrential downpouring and i mena downpouring like ive never seen....And the water im sitting in goes from about 6 inches to about 2 feet within 15mins.....So im the nice guy and put on my hazzards and open my window...from me opening the window to tell peeps not to try and pass me i guess it broke the seal and water started comin into the car...meanwhile i got trucks and suvs plowing through this water just makin it worse unitl an audi a4 and a bmw 740 get stuck in front of me like 20ft in the left and right lane. SO i got about 4 inches of water inside my car, covered my pedals and all...The cars at PAA right now gettin looked at and estimated.....

Heres some pics I took with my camera phone standing on the side of the highway 2 hrs later...My car was behind the bridge in the pic if you guys can see it.

Old 09-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry, dude. That's one of my worst nightmares for my car.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Thats terrible. Hope everything goes ok with insurance. Good luck, hope they can get everything back to normal for you.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
WTF happened to that truck?

Old 09-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Banned

oh and the guy in the audi (by the time he got out he said he saw water comin over his hood) said by the time he tried passin me on the left he said he could see only some of my rim...thats how bad it rained and how fast it accumulated..the guy in the audi thought he could of made it bc he had all wheel drive LOL..oh and i got out by a repo truck with a crazy lift and underwater camera...thank god they got me out at the time or my car would have been floating down the highway, I even debated to jump out my window and push it back to shallower water bc it was literally gettin worse by the minute
Old 09-10-2004, 01:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
WTF happened to that truck?

i dunno that was on my way home one day..i snapped that with my camera phone too
Old 09-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Subie Dubie

Sorry to see that Bro, good luck !!
Old 09-13-2004, 03:49 AM
Intermediate

Jeeez, it's a really bad luck.

Didn't know it's raining like this in NJ.
Old 09-13-2004, 09:12 AM
B A N N E D

Damm terrible, sorry to hear that, I always avoid that area when it rains hard like that. Is PAA going to cover the reairs with warantee or is it comming out of your pocket?
Old 09-13-2004, 09:23 AM
drop em like its hot

that part of route 17 sucks, i know it well. its like on the bottom of a hill and the water just accumulates there, i dont know why they create some crazy drainage system for that area. but i guess the construction costs for that would be pretty steep not to mention all the traffic that there would be.

best of luck, i was almost in your situation once when it rained like hell at that spot
Old 09-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
That blows man. Did you get the car re-started? Don't feel bad about it, as long as nothing permanant happened to the engine, then all you have is a story. Hope all works out for you. And I hate that area of 17 as well.
Nice looking ride though.
Old 09-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Suzuka Master

I went through about 1.5ft of water in a car once, all they had to do was pull a plug to drain the water and then change the oil. You could possibly get a salvage title for your car since it flooded, but who knows. The inside will probably never be the same, and will grow mold or something possibly.
Old 09-13-2004, 11:33 AM
///M POWER

damn sorry bro
Old 09-13-2004, 11:38 AM
Banned

Ive never seen that part of 17 that bad before...but either way PAA is not covering anything under warranty since im at 60k and I dont think flood damage is covered under warranty...Allstate is going there tommorow to estimate the damage....The engine did start again (so Ive heard) since I didnt go through the water it died out in the begining of the river and I didnt try starting it. The inside already started to stink about 5 hrs later when i got some of my stuff out...Im thinking about buying a beater soley for rain and snow purposes before the end of the yr...
Old 09-13-2004, 02:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by Linner
Ive never seen that part of 17 that bad before...but either way PAA is not covering anything under warranty since im at 60k and I dont think flood damage is covered under warranty...Allstate is going there tommorow to estimate the damage....The engine did start again (so Ive heard) since I didnt go through the water it died out in the begining of the river and I didnt try starting it. The inside already started to stink about 5 hrs later when i got some of my stuff out...Im thinking about buying a beater soley for rain and snow purposes before the end of the yr...

The good thing is that the car did re-start. Change the spark plugs, drain the oil and see if you can get someone with one of those Oilboys to remove the water, if any from the rest of the engine, combustion chamber etc....it will live again. Try to get this done soon. You don't want to leave water in the engine.
The interior may just need to be dried out really well....may have to take the carpet out and get it cleaned.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
The good thing is that the car did re-start. Change the spark plugs, drain the oil and see if you can get someone with one of those Oilboys to remove the water, if any from the rest of the engine, combustion chamber etc....it will live again. Try to get this done soon. You don't want to leave water in the engine.
The interior may just need to be dried out really well....may have to take the carpet out and get it cleaned.

Its been sitting at PAA since wednesday last week...I got it towed there as fast as I could....There was no water in the oil when I checked it but... Ill let you guys know what happens from there, I dont think they have touched it yet since the insurace agent hasnt taken a look at it...Im wondering if there gonna say its salvaged bc of the water damage and since our book value is so low , hopefully not ive only had the car 1yr this month
Old 09-13-2004, 07:35 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
If they end up fixing it definitely replace the carpet, dont even try cleaning it. I got some water damage in my Mustang and I replaced the carpet, fixed a couple electrical bugs, steam cleaned the seats real well and you'd never know it happened. My damage wasnt as bad as yours, so good luck.