My car is broke!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 10:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
My car is broke!

I seem to not have any luck with my Acura's Car stalled Friday at a light, & wouldn't start for an hour. When it did it ran VERY bad. Sputtered, made all sorts of high pitched noises. Drove ok otherwise. I droped it at the dealer. They scanned the computer & it had an overrevv code? Don't know what the hell that is. I don't think I ever overrevved it. I hit the limiter a few times. Anyway that's all the info I have I'll know more on Monday when they look at it further. I was told the engine may have a bent rod beacuse it was overrevved at some point, & that may be why it was idleing rough before. Could the dyno I did at 950 miles brake it? I really hope they don't blame me for it & try to make me pay for anything. The car only has 1200 miles & I only had it for a month. Sucks!

They did give me a TL as a loaner though. So at least I can get to work.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like someone ragged and raped your car before delivery...

sidemarker
Old 03-09-2003, 11:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
theyre talking about over rev like putting it into second instead of fourth 10K rpms+ ....bumping the limiter would never do that...if you did that and didnt clear the code before you took it in then it's on you...new engine ='s 5K$ plus good luck...
Old 03-15-2003, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Update...

After a week of trying to get in contact with the regional rep Acura will fix my car. He was on vaction or so they say. He needed to approve the work. They are 99% sure it's some internal engine problem. They are also saying I didn't do anything, & the probelm was already there. Whatever that means. They need to take the whole top end of the engine apart to look at it, Then decide what's wrong, then decide if it's fixable, then decide if it needs a new engine. The service manager said the car will be there at least a week, maybe more depending on what they find. Could be several weeks if they need an engine from the factory. For now I'm keeping the almost new 03 TL they gave me.
Old 03-15-2003, 04:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by typeR
theyre talking about over rev like putting it into second instead of fourth 10K rpms+ ....bumping the limiter would never do that...if you did that and didnt clear the code before you took it in then it's on you...new engine ='s 5K$ plus good luck...
Yeah while talking to my service manager yesterday, he was telling me about a guy that brought his CL 6speed in and couldn't figure out what happened with it. They checked the computer and it said that the engine was at 14000k rpms for a few seconds and that is what killed the car! Basically the guy did what you explained, he missed a downshift and went instead of 4th into 2nd. Ouch.

They also had a new 6speed on the lot that I was taking a look at. 33k with navi. I asked him about that car and he told me that it actually has a rebuilt engine on it because some guy missed the downshift while on a test drive. Ouch...
Old 03-15-2003, 06:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tell it to go out and get a job.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:21 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Seriously, sorry about your luck. 1st person I know of blowing the engine.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:26 PM
shooting for 1200+rwhp

wow....ive missed a shift a few times, but luckily caught it before the gear was fully engaged, ie didnt even hit the limiter...its these damn close gears that everyone seems to have a problem with...i havent had a problem only that one time, but my roommate did drive the other night when id had too many to drink and he went from 2nd to 5th...at least it was upward and not downward.....anyways, good luck
Old 03-16-2003, 01:31 PM
Senior Moderator

It wasn't me though. I never over rev'd it. I didn't break it. It was a dealer trade(so the dealer said), & had 50 miles on it when I got. I posted about the rough idle, & feeling like the car wanted to stall when I got it.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Update 2

God what a sad sight to see. They torn the engine down. Saw half my engine gone from under the hood. Man I hope they put everything back right, & I have no other problems. They saw no damage what's so ever in the engine. They did say both heads were warped. They are at a machine shop getting resurfaced. After that they will put it back together & see if the car still stalls, or idle's rough.
What could cause the warped heads? Something like that seems to be a factory defect to me. They couldn't explain it either. Also since they resufaced the heads, & torn the whol top end apart, is the engine life shortend? Car only has 1100 miles. Should I try & fight for some kind of extended warranty on the engine?
Old 03-19-2003, 07:37 PM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

damn right try to get an extended warranty on the motor!!! It probably got used on a test drive and they ragged the shit out of it for 50 miles. I mean how many times have you guys test driven new, low mileage cars and floored them everwhere on the test drive??? I have more than a few times so basically if it's a test drive vehicle FORGET ABOUT THE BREAK IN PERIOD! All kinda depends on the salesman though some encourage you to "give it some gas" hoping you like the power and will buy.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:17 PM
Drifting

With my one and only Acura engine problem, my new to the market 92 Integra GS-R needed a new block. No block in Chicago (I live there), no block in San Francisco. I thought the same way you did. It will take weeks, if not months, for the new block to arrive by ship and motor freight.

Acura air freighted the new block in from Japan, and it sat in front of my car while they were still taking the defective block out of the car. An engine in a day from Japan! Develop a good rapport with your dealer, don't be an arrogant asshole (like some Lexus owners I know), and Acura will treat you right.

Finally, you just know something is wrong with the world when:

The best rapper is a white guy...
The best pro golfer is a black guy...
The French accuse the Americans of being arrogant...
And the Germans don't want to go to war. Go figure.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Last update,

After 3 weeks I got the car back. Work order says all the Exhaust valves were bent on both heads. No way I could have ever done that! Had the car for 1100 miles, & babied it for 650 of that. They replaced them, & both heads were warped so they were resurfaced. All new seals & gaskets too. Seems to drive the same. The vibrations, & feeling like the car wanted to stall is gone now. No dealers problems, although I see on the workorder that it says...

"Customer advised goodwill and 1 time only"

Can they do that? There's no proof at all I caused the problem. It's documented the car was a dealer trade & had 50 miles on it when I got it. They claim I shouldn't have anymore problems, & the cars is within specs, so I should not see any power loss from spec. As for engine longevity, they can't say other then they hope all will be fine
Old 03-25-2004, 08:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by fuzzy02CLS

"Customer advised goodwill and 1 time only"

Can they do that? There's no proof at all I caused the problem. It's documented the car was a dealer trade & had 50 miles on it when I got it. They claim I shouldn't have anymore problems, & the cars is within specs, so I should not see any power loss from spec.
If you go back in with problems and there is another over rev code in the computor it's your turn to pay.