My car almost locked up on me

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 12:13 AM
mister D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My car almost locked up on me

It was thunderstorming here today, and it left great big puddles, and it happend to have one in an area i had to cross, even though i knew i shouldnt try, i went across a deep flooded area (1-2 feet of water) and almost as I was about to get out of it the car sudden shuts off, i think its hydrolock? but yeah the water was so deep, I took my shoes and socks off and pushed it to a friends shop which was 2 blocks away. well there he had this device you hook up to the air compressor and it sucks up water, so i took my aem intake out, (no bypass of course) and started to suck the water out of the butterfly. we had to take some of the sparkplugs out, (the back is a real bitch) and sucked water out from there. luckily i got a good idea and put an object on the gas pedal to open the secondary butterfly, and i jacked the car up from the right side, there was probally a gallon of water coming out, then one of the guys watching us reccomended we try to crank the car so the water would be forced out, so at first we did it manually by turning the crank pulley, which helped a little, then i went inside the car and cranked it with the key. now the gas was to the floor, and i had taken out 4 of the 6 sparkplugs, and after a few cranked it started to sound better and better. water shot out like a cannon, and it almost started, which is amazing considering it was probally only on one cylinder (the back middle spark plug wouldnt come out, nor did the passangerside back) well after having done all this effort i put all the plugs back in, and it started up. after this whole ordeal, me and some buddys went to look for a gsr block, because my friend needed one, and while i was at the shop i happened to pick up a bypass valve for 40 bucks, which aint so bad, i just sure hope i never have to go through this again. and go figure, when it all started i called the acura dealership to ask if there was a plug or anything in which the water could be drained and they said no, most likely the engine is toast. but hey i guess my car is a fighter, its still alive, i just hope it didnt lose any power cause of this whole ordeal. anything like this ever happen to any of you?
Old 12-17-2002, 12:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
doesn't sound good to me.

but maybe you got lucky.

i'm not sure how noticable a (slightly) bent piston rod is

you may want to change your oil.
Old 12-17-2002, 12:39 AM
mister D

Originally posted by mattg
you may want to change your oil.
the thing is i got my oil changed 2 days ago.. would they not be a little fishy on what happend? if i do take it in im prolly gonna tell them to replace the sparkplugs too
Old 12-17-2002, 02:29 AM
Drifting

take it to jiffy lube , not the dealer..
Old 12-17-2002, 04:59 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sound very bad...

I recommend doing a dyno.
Old 12-17-2002, 05:10 AM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: My car almost locked up on me

Originally posted by kHmER Co
It was thunderstorming here today, and it left great big puddles, and it happend to have one in an area i had to cross, even though i knew i shouldnt try, i went across a deep flooded area (1-2 feet of water) and almost as I was about to get out of it the car sudden shuts off, i think its hydrolock?
1-2 feet of water with race springs?! Are you sure you're not exaggerating? With that combo...your floor mats, as well as your tail pipes should be well underwater!
Old 12-17-2002, 05:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by Nashua_Night_Hawk
It sound very bad...

I recommend doing a dyno.
maybe a compression test would be better.
Old 12-17-2002, 07:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

I would have pulled over, or found another route. There's no such thing as have to, when it comes to something like that. But at least it started back up. You do the same thing with Jet Ski engines. After they tip over enough they get water all in them, & won't start. You have to pull the plugs, & crank it so the water shoots out of it. It's fine after that. If the car started back up, & seems to run fine, then you got lucky.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:46 AM
Way Fast Whitey

Listen for tapping on the top end as well., Perhaps bent push rods.
Old 12-17-2002, 10:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by CBR1100XX
Listen for tapping on the top end as well., Perhaps bent push rods.
:P

Push rods on an over head cam engine?!?!
Old 12-17-2002, 11:17 AM
Banned

im sorry but anyone who voluntarily drives a car into water like that, with or without a CAI is a complete and total moron....
Old 12-17-2002, 12:21 PM
mister D

Originally posted by jimcol711
im sorry but anyone who voluntarily drives a car into water like that, with or without a CAI is a complete and total moron....
so what would you do? wait until the storm is over, say 1-2 days before going home? rightttttttt
Old 12-17-2002, 12:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

you might have come really close to hydrolock.. you're lucky the engine stopped, otherwise you would have bent the connecting rods..... at least. since water does not displace, something has to give. it is usually the internals mcuh to the dismany of the owner.

if your engine starts and seems to work fine on all 6 cylinders i wouldnt worry about it. but do go and have a compression test done becuase you never know if something in cracked.

if it looks too deep to drive through it...... dont.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:07 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Once I got caught off gaurd in a down pour.... flooding the streets.. I was splashing a lot over pudlles... when I could not see any more beacuse of the rain... I pulled over at a dunking donut coffee shop and chilled with my wife...

No chance I would cross a flooded stree with my CLS...
Old 12-17-2002, 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by kHmER Co
so what would you do? wait until the storm is over, say 1-2 days before going home? rightttttttt

1-2 days??? whatever, ive been involved in flood situations, and when the flood waters are only 1-2 feet deep, the water usually subsides within a few hours after the storm stops, no big deal, are you telling me you would willingly fuck up your car and drive through something like that??? fuck that, a few years ago i was involved in a situation like this and i say the road was flooded, probably about 1-2 feet deep and i simply turned around and found another way home, theres ALWAYS alternate routes...and even if there is no alternate route, there is ALWAYS a place you can go and chill for awhile and make a few phone calls....like a shopping mall, a free standing store like a grocery store, a police station, a school, a shelter, ANYWHERE...im sorry but there is absolutely no reason why anyone would be in a position where they would be FORCED to be stupid and drive through 2 feet deep water, thats just ridiculous.
Old 12-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Banned

this guys car should be considered TOTALLED....christ, the car is lowered and it was in 2 feet deep of water, that means his interior would be flooding with water...the carpets, leather seats, etc would be fucked....and smelly forever..and then of course the engine that ingested large amounts of water, not to mention the exhaust system probably took on alot of water...mufflers, pipes, etc....this car should from now on have a title marked SALVAGE...this is exactly the type of thing car-buyers need to avoid when shopping for used cars...makes me wonder how many seemingly nice cars on used car lots are flood damaged peices of shit like this....once something like that happens (engine sucking in ALOT of water and interior flooding) the car is never ever going to be the same
Old 12-17-2002, 02:14 PM
Team Owner

I do believe this happened, but I think there was a little bit of exaggeration in the original post.
If it REALLY was 1-2FT of water, I don’t think he would have opened the door and PUSHED the car with his bare feet for two blocks.
At the point the door was opened, the interior would have been immediately flooded.

Definitely a situation where a bypass valve would have gotten a good test.

Shawn S
Old 12-17-2002, 02:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Shawn S
I do believe this happened, but I think there was a little bit of exaggeration in the original post.
If it REALLY was 1-2FT of water, I don’t think he would have opened the door and PUSHED the car with his bare feet for two blocks.
At the point the door was opened, the interior would have been immediately flooded.

Definitely a situation where a bypass valve would have gotten a good test.

Shawn S
2 inches of rain came down in a rather short period of time.

Various streets and freeways were flooded for a couple of hours while the storm drains tried to keep up.

Even a stock system would have slurped a ton of water.

A compression test and an oil change are a must.

An actual account of how deep the water is vs. some well known locations on the car would be useful. This is NOT a Hummer or APG with a snorkel

The car makes a lousy U-boat (bypass valve or not).

I suggest that a bypass would not be the best solution. The addition of a fording kit would be much better. The leather seats and carpet can get tossed too...

DIY CAI Fording Project Pics

Views from an earlier time
Old 12-17-2002, 03:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Eric, wouldn't it be a fjording kit
Old 12-17-2002, 03:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by mattg
Eric, wouldn't it be a fjording kit
Here is your fjord-ing (or fiording) kit with lobsters:

Old 12-18-2002, 12:38 AM
Race Director

Wait till he sells the car to the new owner without disclosing [possible] water damage and the new owner finds out thru however means.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:25 PM
Advance

Funny... im considering trading my 6spd for this car.
Old 05-20-2007, 12:43 PM
Racer

^^Not a risk i'd take, do you want the automatic that bad?

EDIT: BTW, no offense to the OP, that car may run, but it SUCKED UP WATER, definatly not a good thing, even if it still runs. I second getting the car looked at ASAP.

EDIT 2: Wow old thread, good searching there gc
Old 05-20-2007, 02:24 PM
Advance

Yes I want an auto pretty bad...