My '03 CL-S's bumper hit!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 11:36 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '03 CL-S's bumper hit!

Ouch! My brand new (September) Black CL-S got its first abuse tonight! Ok, here's what happened and pic might come later. I was pulling out of a parking spot, the rear of the car going to the left. At the same time, my friend, in his Corolla, is backing out of his spot like 2 spots down from me, rear towards right (me). We were like 3ft. from each other's bumper. It's not like we were about to hit or anything.

We talked to each other while in the same positions and decided we should meet up at a friend's house. I ask him to drive forward a little, so I can back out more, so I can drive straight in his opposite direction (i know, it sounds kinda confusing!). He was talking to someone else and told me I have enough room to drive forward w/o backing out more.

Me, in my stupid mind, hit the accelerator a little, THINKING I was in D5 (damn 2 min. convo w/ friend had my mind elsewhere) but instead still in Reverse! Slam, probably a 5mph hit to his bumper. Man I was pissed, this is the first "accident" I've ever done at my fault, and first accident in my NEW car! We each regained ourselves and went to a gas station to see the damage. His bumper, on the right side has some paint missing on the part that is level, above the license plate holder. There are so other paint missing along the edges of the bumper. There does not seem to be any impact/ding on his car.

My car on the other hand, does not seem to have lost any paint, but sure has the other car's paint all over it (kinda mashed in a little) on about at least a square foot of surface area on the car. I could kinda wipe the other car's paint off but I still see some there. But it's dark outside and my car is dirty!

There is also a little section on the bottom part of the bumper near the cutout for the left exhaust pipe about a 2" square part kinda pushed inward, hard to see on black car!.

What do you guys think I should do? I already told my friend I would pay for the repaint on the bumper (should it just be those small areas missing on his or the whole bumper? he already had some missing paint/scrapes from previous hits with objects ) and I guess there is no actual damage, from what I can see on his.

For my car, should I bring it into the dealer to look at and see what they can do? Do they have the capacity to fix that pushed in section, and clean off that other's car paint and possibly touchup any areas with missing ACURA paint? I know I would have to pay the dealer for this. Should I instead goto a body shop or a place like DentWizards? Should I try to wipe off more of the other car's paint or leave it alone to the pros so I don't scratch further? What kind of costs am I looking at so I don't get ripped? I'll try to get pics! Thanks all, this sucks!
Old 10-05-2002, 08:04 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

well you should repaint his whole bumper... you can't paint a small spot on any piece of body panel... It won't match well first of all... that would be the RIGHT thing to do... it might cost you a bit more but if he took it to insurance they'd repaint teh whole front bumper... For your car don't think you want to just touchup areas of the bumper since your car is BRAND NEW... I'd say repaint the back bumper if possible... keep your new car new looking... I know how you feel man, I got into a wreck just 3 weeks after getting my CLS and it's been in teh shop for the past 3 weeks... it sucks... except mine wasn't my fault ...

Don't worry too much about it though, it's a mistake anyone could make... oh yeah and definetely take it to a reputable body shop... don't go to some mom and pop shop.. I've got a Black CLS as well even though I took it to a dealership for body work it's very easy to notice imperfections on our NBP paint... black in general especially with the pearl in it makes it really easy to notice errors in paint thickness or westanding... make sure you look things over very carefully when you get it repainted and make sure you look at the bumper from an angle to make sure light reflects correctly from all angles and at all parts of the bumper... don't try to save yourself some money by going to a cheap body shop... you'll be dissappointed in the end I guaratee it... good luck...
Old 10-05-2002, 08:30 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

I hit my back bumper and sliced too.. It would cost some $500 to replace and paint... In Montreal, I was lucky enough to find a used bumper NHP for $200 next week.. I will grab it and install it.
Old 10-05-2002, 11:51 AM
Buckle Up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had my rear bumper replaced on my 2001 CL-P Silver. Bumper itself cost 240 bucks but then with labor and paint and everything it came out to 660 bucks. Insurance paid but theres a rough estimate for you.
Old 10-05-2002, 05:29 PM
Black is a ***** to Clean

The guys at the NOVA meet gave me some tips. Almost no paint on my bumper came off. A couple tiny spots are rough. I was told to get a pro to use an orbital buffer w/ swirl remover on it and rub use all over the affected area. Then fill in the area missing paint w/ touchup, then use 1000 grit lightly over area, then wax w/ TurtleWax that has some black dye in it. I may have accidently added a step but it seems logical. The dent could be pulled by DentWizards. Also, the scratches are all in the clearcoat.
Old 10-05-2002, 06:31 PM
Intermediate

My new CLS, being longer than my previous car (SVX), had the garage door dropped on it the first month. I've left it alone these past 2 years because I don't want to deal with it. Now my dealer thinks he can make it like new (buffing and painting I guess) for $425. Sounds good but does anyone really think it will look like new? The complicating factor is the Sundance Gold color.
Old 10-06-2002, 01:03 AM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...threadid=82444
Old 10-06-2002, 01:04 AM
Advanced

man that sucks , but ur cars just geting broken in , it will happen but still sucks