My @ss handed to me

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 10:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by JRock
The hell?!

A stock auto LT-1 Camaro/Firebird is 13.9-14.1 off the showroom floor.

The newer LS-1s with manual are mid-to-high 13s off the floor.

edit - looks like Fast Gold already pointed that out. Jeez, I didn't know we had so many dreamers here who think the CLS is a 13second car.
An auto LT1 is a little slower than that by a few tenths. Thats about what a auto LS1 runs.
Old 09-05-2002, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Re: oh well

Originally posted by Infiltr8r
That's not far fetched...

it's all about gearing and torque curves...that LT1 and LS1 need to shift outta second just around that 60 mark (screws up the 0-60 times in the mags), so yeah, you prolly wouldn't have a problem...try a 25-30 mph roll...the outcome maybe different.

I had a 93 LT1 and a guy tried to race me like that, from a roll....I had to go around the corner and see what mph I could roll slow, leave hard and not hafta shift. Since I had 3.73s, I had to roll 15 mph vs the 25 (it was time to shift to 2nd...I woulda got raped) he told me to....gearing and torque curves...

but hey, I could be wrong
thank you...what some have to realize is this is the street racing section?yes? yes a WS6 can pull a 13.5 no problemo...but it has a hard time with a 9.0 in the first half of the race many even go 9.40 ahhh now that sounds fimiliar at the 1/8th is where they really start to pull away ,all the way to the finish however many street races are over by then...i have beat 3 ls-1's to 70 at which point 2 of them desimated me..the third a Z28, turned off ,but im sure the out come would have been the same.

junior as far as quckcls was he refering to a 6mt cl-S
Old 09-05-2002, 11:39 AM
Banned

people, the thing that everyone is failing to admit is that no one...i repeat NO ONE has a CL-S proven, recorded time of less than 14.3 without Nitrous....even a 6 speed....the high 13 second CL-S with headers is SPECULATION..nothing more....no one has proven this....some of the 6 speed guys have headers and shit, yes, but none of them have taken it to a track an posted any times, if they have, they werent less than 14.3.....some of the CL-S drivers here are way to quick to speculate about what they THINK a CL-S SHOULD do........bottom line is that a CL-S is a low 15/high 14 second car in STOCK form and with EVERY MOD short of the yet-to-be-released supercharger, none have broken 14.3..LET ALONE 14 flat.....

all of the other cars mentioned here (z-28, trans am, firehawk, lt-1 vettes, etc, etc) all of those cars are EASILY proven time and time and time and time again to be, from the factory, WELL below any time that any modded CL-S has ever done..and that is it...end of story. all these supposed street races where a modded CL-S beats any of these cars are for a reason....but street racing proves nothing, take it to a track...a CL-S modded or not (without the supercharger of course) will never beat a stock z28, lt1, ls1 vette, trans am, firehawk, camaro SS, etc. if a CL-S actually does happen to beat one of these cars at the track, the only reason is that the Z28 or whatever it is has MAAAJOR problems or a tire blow out or the worst driver known to man.
Old 09-05-2002, 11:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Re: oh well

Originally posted by typeR
thank you...what some have to realize is this is the street racing section?yes? yes a WS6 can pull a 13.5 no problemo...but it has a hard time with a 9.0 in the first half of the race many even go 9.40 ahhh now that sounds fimiliar at the 1/8th is where they really start to pull away ,all the way to the finish however many street races are over by then...i have beat 3 ls-1's to 70 at which point 2 of them desimated me..the third a Z28, turned off ,but im sure the out come would have been the same.
There is no way you are going to take a LS1 anywhere if it is properly driven. The only way you are going to beat a LS1 out of the hole is b/c the driver is sitting there doing a good ole smoke show. Hell I took my friends E46 M3 in an A8L to 80 because he spun a bit in first had to let off, then regained traction and when he shifted into 2nd he broke the rear end out, again having to let off the throttle. I would never consider that a victory. There is so many things that play into street races, that most are useless to post. A lot of people on this board think that street racing is the end of all end. If you want to fairly judge if X car is faster than B car, take it to the track.

You ever get ricers or street racers that go to your track that have no clue what they are doing? I mean I have seen some real winners. One guy tried to line his front wheels up with the tree. Many of these awesome street racers couldnt pull a respectable 60' time if you gave them numerous tries.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:09 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Big Jilm:

Unless he's running on some really shitty tires and has an uncontrollable lead foot you should not be beating a latest-gen V8 Mustang/Camaro/Firebird anywhere past maybe 15feet into the race, period.

Whoever you raced against needs to learn how to feather into the throttle so he doesn't sit there doing a burnout while you leap ahead.

I drove a '97 Z28 for two years. I know what it's capable of (and how to launch it), and that was the older LT-1.
Old 09-05-2002, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: oh well

Originally posted by Maximized
A lot of people on this board think that street racing is the end of all end. If you want to fairly judge if X car is faster than B car, take it to the track.

You ever get ricers or street racers that go to your track that have no clue what they are doing? I mean I have seen some real winners. One guy tried to line his front wheels up with the tree. Many of these awesome street racers couldnt pull a respectable 60' time if you gave them numerous tries.
this is the street racing section you want the next forum down...
Old 09-05-2002, 06:11 PM
Racer

Re: Re: Re: Re: oh well

I've seen a few of those guys myself. But I always think, hell at least they're here and not on the street pissing me off!
Old 09-05-2002, 07:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: oh well

this is the street racing section you want the next forum down...
I know...but I see some real stupid roadkills in here. Anyone thinking they can take a LS1 in a CL-S is just a moron, unless the driver sucks or Nitrous/Boost comes into play.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:06 PM
Racer

I had a buddy who had a Civic Hatchback with a 50-shot NOS, he sprayed one day going down a one-way street vs. a good buddy of his, an 18-wheeler turned out of the shopping center, and they both died.
Old 09-05-2002, 08:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: oh well

I know...but I see some real stupid roadkills in here. Anyone thinking they can take a LS1 in a CL-S is just a moron, unless the driver sucks or Nitrous/Boost comes into play.
I HAVE taken 3 to 70+/- mph
Old 09-05-2002, 10:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: oh well

I HAVE taken 3 to 70+/- mph
Are you sure you werent racing an LT1?

From your earlier post I seems like you really didnt know the difference BTW an LS1 and LT1..

I can believe you took an LT1 to 70.....but not a LS1, unless the driver was roasting his tires.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:13 AM
Instructor

actually, taking an lt1 out of the hole is really no more likely than taking an ls1 off the line. the lt1 made its torque peak at 2400, the ls1 is quite a bit higher. the ls1 shines in the second 1/8 not the first.

I'm not sure which was trickier to launch, the lt1 6 spd was definitely easier to spin off the line, the ls1 easier to bog; but neither easy. but chances are if you're going to beat one you're going to beat a manual. The ets are nearly identical for the auto/stick the trap does however pick up a bit for the manuals, and consitency is an auto trademark. The first time at the track with my rel stock camaro SS and my brother in his cold air cat back lt1 t/a were interesting. I ran from 13.7-14.0 (really lighting the tires on that 14.0) he ran from 13.8-14.7 burning and bogging essentially everytime. Hell until the last run he made he didn't beat my then fiance (now wifes) one throttle mashing 13.8 in my auto SS.

That's the track though, where everyone knows they're racing and you get a fair start. However, it's easy to jump the gun in a street race to 70 mph and get a win. Getting out first either because you're ancy on the gas pedal or because your car pulls 2.0 or better on the street helps. My last car, the 97 lt1 SS, had a 2400 converter and drag radials. We used to hit the philly street racing once or twice a month with it. Other than a few silly notchback 5.0s and a stealth or 3si, it couldn't be beaten out of the hole and i held off many a better car, including an early viper and more than a few LS1s, lightnings and even some turbo imports (300zx, supras). Botch a launch when the other guy is all over it and the lesser (in probably all these cases) car could win.

I just can't figure out these guys that 'haven't lost to a ....' either they don't know you're racing, or you jump every light, or they're all yugos. My last two camaros are/were 12 sec cars, as is my brother's ws6, and hell we lose all the time...then again picking on stangs that can hardly maintain an idle, or grand nationals that tach 4000 at the line may not be smart...but you never know.

Joe
Old 09-06-2002, 12:46 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by roo97ss
actually, taking an lt1 out of the hole is really no more likely than taking an ls1 off the line. the lt1 made its torque peak at 2400, the ls1 is quite a bit higher. the ls1 shines in the second 1/8 not the first.
Yup, thanks for saving me the trouble of saying just that. The LT1s for whatever reason, actually make better torque off the line.

Btw, no shame in racing cars you know will beat you - sometimes it's just nice to get them to run to watch them go.
Old 09-06-2002, 08:51 AM
Selling Chicken Parts

FYI, the LT1 has a longer stroke and smaller bore...hence more bottom end torque.

just to play devil's advocate here..I think some guys have gone off the wrong tangent here. The Acura guys never said thatthey will take the FBods from a standstill...at least I don't recall seeing that...they said that from a roll, they got them, but then they shut down early, so when the F's were making their powerm they never got a chance to catch up. I did the same thing with my Stang against an SS. From 60 mph i had no problem with him, but at around 120, it was a joke...gearing and torque curve, that's all it was about...
Old 09-06-2002, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: oh well

Are you sure you werent racing an LT1?

From your earlier post I seems like you really didnt know the difference BTW an LS1 and LT1..

I can believe you took an LT1 to 70.....but not a LS1, unless the driver was roasting his tires.
i dont want you to think i concider these a win, because the race wasnt over...i wouldnt have gone much furthur, but the two WS' defintely won and the Z im sure would have(turned off)

yes, i dont know which(ls1 ,lt1) the two trans am, firehawk, whatevers, said WS6 acctually one said WS7, i found out from the guys over at LS1 that the ws7 badge was a part of a cosmetic mod upgrade, or something like that...and the third was a Z28...so i dont know LS1 or LT1 but i did get the jump, though i certainly didnt roll or launch early...in addition to there much ,much,better top end add a full tank of gas or set of golf clubs, to the mix..im just saying for me that would be a couple tenths it was awhile back but...thats the beauty of a street race...and honestly going into the first one i expected to get killed from the get go...i later raced a 6mt with gears and alot of other work, we stopped and talked after a couple runs, he was friends with the guy i know that has a modded GTP ,all three of us ran ,the trans walked on me right off the line and just kept pulling...i did the same to the GTP
Old 09-08-2002, 09:41 AM
Instructor

Like i said, good driving and on the street anything can happen.

Yesterday i was up to the local car show, adirondack nationals. a lot of heavy iron running around there. Came off the line against a few cars for short bursts, to say 70 or so. The DRs make a nice difference and I got out on more than a few of them. There were 2 groups there, the nice muscle cars running raised white letter T and H rated radials with big blocks that, sure while the smoke shows look good, were easy kills...and those running 15" wide drag radials and or et streets with wheelie bars. Just fun to see them jump.

They do the car show all day, than an organized cruise, with a lot of disorganized cruising up and down the local roads with plenty of fooling around. From each light there's nothing but rubber for the first 100-300 feet.

infiltra8, the off the line comment was the 'beating to 70 comment' where typeR knows how to get off the line, and obviously the f bod's didn't and he held them off to 70 at which point they would be making their top end pull and pass by.

obviously the cls is not a car for off the line racing (fbod/stang driven well off the line), but is a nice surprise in a mid range romp where the short 1 and 2, as well as decently strong 3 pull well up to about 110. Even if you don't win it's annoying as hell to have a v8 muscle machine and have this luxo v6er give you a run for your money.
Old 09-08-2002, 10:49 AM
Selling Chicken Parts

Like i said, good driving and on the street anything can happen.

infiltra8, the off the line comment was the 'beating to 70 comment' where typeR knows how to get off the line, and obviously the f bod's didn't and he held them off to 70 at which point they would be making their top end pull and pass by.

I missed your post before I said what I said, I was sorta glancing through...there were so many...but yeah, yer right...
Old 09-13-2002, 10:51 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by JRock
Big Jilm:

Unless he's running on some really shitty tires and has an uncontrollable lead foot you should not be beating a latest-gen V8 Mustang/Camaro/Firebird anywhere past maybe 15feet into the race, period.

Whoever you raced against needs to learn how to feather into the throttle so he doesn't sit there doing a burnout while you leap ahead.

I drove a '97 Z28 for two years. I know what it's capable of (and how to launch it), and that was the older LT-1.
That's why this forum makes so much sense. The stock CL-S (by observation of this forum) seems to take 99+ GTs like nothing and get walked by an LT-1 GM F-body car. Last time I checked stock for stock the 99+ GTs and 94-97 LT-1s were about the same in the 1320..
Old 09-14-2002, 02:39 PM
Instructor

Last time I checked stock for stock the 99+ GTs and 94-97 LT-1s were about the same in the 1320
I agree there, nearly same traps, slightly better traps with the lt1 by 1-2 mph; however, some of the notes here refer to auto GTs which just don't perform like the stick cars, nor the auto lt1s.

That's the car, esp the auto convert that is 'slow' enough for the cls. However i can't envision myself beating a (well driven) 5 spd GT.

Joe
Old 09-14-2002, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by 2000GTnoExtras
That's why this forum makes so much sense. The stock CL-S (by observation of this forum) seems to take 99+ GTs like nothing and get walked by an LT-1 GM F-body car. Last time I checked stock for stock the 99+ GTs and 94-97 LT-1s were about the same in the 1320..
i dont think anyone thinks they can beat a fairly driven 5speed in a stock cl-S most of the racers here are I/H and that add 30hp 10lb.ft to the mix with a descent extension of the torque curve at this point it certaily is a race with a near stock 99+GT i say near ...K&N,tires,flowmasters...but not engine work...x pipe ,chip,gears
Old 09-14-2002, 05:05 PM
Instructor

i guess you'd call it a race. but i'm yet to see these I/H cls running 14.0@100 mph; which is what a 260 hp GT 5 spd should run, stock (on average, a few better a few worse) [13.8-14.2 is pretty realistic for a decent driver on a decent track]

Joe
Old 09-15-2002, 12:49 AM
WHO'S NEXT!!

Originally posted by juniorbean
Quikcls... I'm not to sure about you since you're new... but have you read any of our site?

Easily in the 13's? Are you sure about that? Mattg, who has one of the fastest, if not THE fastest CL-S on this site has run a best of 14.32 @ 98.68. He has all of the go-fast goodies and he's still over 3 tenths out of the 13 sec. range... and it's not that easy to shave .3 off of a time... especially when there are no more mods for him to do other then slicks and the S/C. Possibly a 6-speed with some mods like headers could do it if conditions were right... but I've yet to see a slip from them proving that.

Oh and BTW, I tried to read your reply to Smitty but it didn't make too much sense... you seemed to imply that he doesn't have a CL-S, which he does. Anyway, that's irrelivant.

awright dude chill.. i admit i got outa hand wit the 13 sec thing.. but these people quoting these low 15 sec statements just make me sick.
Old 09-15-2002, 12:51 AM
WHO'S NEXT!!

and i must have been alittle fucked up i don't think i meant to quote smitty
Old 09-15-2002, 09:36 PM
fastest time 13.4@107 !!!

Originally posted by GTPguy97
ARE YOU GUYS ALL NUTS??? Man to read some of these replies one would get the impression that some of you think you have an LS1 killer on your hands. Trust me, you dont. Not even close. LS1's are seriously fast cars......CLs, GTP's, Maximas etc are in a totally different class. The quick but not truly fast class.

I know that headers for you guys are a 'miracle mod', but what exactly are you guys running with all the goodies? Minus NOS. Are you even in the 13's? High 13's is not going to be putting the fear of Acura into any LS1 drivers. Man the guys over at LS1.com would literally piss in their pants from laughter if they read this thread.

Later,
i'm in the 13's
Old 09-16-2002, 09:01 AM
Instructor

a yugo with enough mods and a big enough shot will run in the 13s. I think everyone's referring to the average acura here with no internal work and no power adders...they don't really invoke fear at the track.

Not bashing, nice work getting your car into the 13s...just most guys haven't gone the extra mile, done all the mods, added a 100 shot, etc....and even still, those numbers won't beat a decently driven ls1, never mind a modded one.
Old 09-16-2002, 11:54 AM
fastest time 13.4@107 !!!

a yugo with enough mods and a big enough shot will run in the 13s. I think everyone's referring to the average acura here with no internal work and no power adders...they don't really invoke fear at the track.

Not bashing, nice work getting your car into the 13s...just most guys haven't gone the extra mile, done all the mods, added a 100 shot, etc....and even still, those numbers won't beat a decently driven ls1, never mind a modded one.

thats true.. i stay away from LS1's

it's the mustangs i go for and kill