More rattles in my car in the cold weather!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 09:45 PM
Not a Registered User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More rattles in my car in the cold weather!!!

...my car rattles more in the cold weather...i guess that makes sense, but it's so annoying...especially in the rear (it's not so bad once the car is warmed up...(it sounds like somethings are rubbing together on top of the rear seats)...any suggestions, maybe i can fix something myself, or should i go to my dealer?

p.s. my dealer (Acura of Denville) sucks ass as far as warranty work, they gave me a lot of BS about my passenger side seatbelt not retracting and refused to fix it, i'm trying to avoid them as much as possible...
Old 12-03-2002, 09:58 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah i got the same sqeaking sound coming from the rear when i have snow on my car...it's nasty sounding. Kinda like when you rub two foam pieces together...
Old 12-03-2002, 10:01 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

I have the same issue funny thing, didn't happen with my old cls
Old 12-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Not a Registered User

glad to know i'm not the only one, it does sound like 2 foam peices rubbing together!!!...but it doesn't ONLY happen when there's snow, it happens everytime i get in the car (now that the weather is cold as f@#$!!!)
Old 12-03-2002, 10:22 PM
Racer

The back deck rattles against the passenger rear Bose speaker in my car. Took it in and they made it better, but not all the way. Now that it's cold, it rattles like all hell when the radio is on. With the radio off, it just squeaks quietly enough for me to hear and nobody else. Ugh!

I'll get it addressed at my next oil change when I also mention my driverside seatback is falling off. At least some of us have warranty!
Old 12-03-2002, 10:39 PM
Not a Registered User

i can't believe i acutally paid for a 100k mile warranty...if i only knew of this forum before i bought my car...i figure they'd cover almost anything without giving anyone sh!t (being that it's a $30,000+ Acura...) it's not even the fact that it's only my dealer, i always read on the forums about people complaing about bad experiences with Acura and warranty work, do lexus/infiniti/etc. owners have similar problems?

Johnny Rad, when you get it fixed can you post what the dealer did to fix it, so i could tell my dealer what's wrong and how it could be fixed...that would be very helpful...
Old 12-03-2002, 10:48 PM
Racer

Last time, they noted "insulated rear deck to glass." Good luck!
Old 12-04-2002, 03:50 AM
Safety Car

almost every car has some more rattles in the cold weather
Old 12-04-2002, 09:19 AM
Racer

I don't get it, everyone complains of the rattles in the cold. My car is dead silent in cold weather. Noting rattles, squeeks etc. Once the temp gets above 60 or so, then everything sounds like it is falling apart.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
the materials in the car expand in the cold weather and start to rub. its like the side door in a house, in the winter, did you ever notice that some doors don't close as smoothly. I have the same problems with my car. its kinda embaressing when someone gets in the car with you and asks "what's that noise?"
Old 12-04-2002, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by rondog
the materials in the car expand in the cold weather and start to rub. its like the side door in a house, in the winter, did you ever notice that some doors don't close as smoothly. I have the same problems with my car. its kinda embaressing when someone gets in the car with you and asks "what's that noise?"
rondog..i think you got it the other way around. cold makes matter contract, heat makes matter expand. anything with mass will contract in the cold thus making it a little looser.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:13 PM
trying to get a lil V-I

Originally posted by icy CL
rondog..i think you got it the other way around. cold makes matter contract, heat makes matter expand. anything with mass will contract in the cold thus making it a little looser.
that's what I thought too....
Old 12-04-2002, 01:32 PM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

Turn up the stereo...problem solved.
Old 12-04-2002, 01:46 PM
Racer

Originally posted by chikai
that's what I thought too....
I think it depends on the type matter....water expands when it freezes...lumber expands in the cold...plastic contracts when heated (ever put a lighter near plastic)...air expands when heated...just depends on the material
Old 12-04-2002, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Haus
I think it depends on the type matter....water expands when it freezes...lumber expands in the cold...plastic contracts when heated (ever put a lighter near plastic)...air expands when heated...just depends on the material
water does not expand when it freezes...air goes between the water molecules that's why a container of water when frozen will be bigger than that of it's original state. plastic when heated does not contract, it just changes it's form. cold air is denser than hot air that's why CAIs make your car run faster because of the denser air. it does not matter what material it is...as long as it has mass (occupies space), it will contract when it is colder and expand when it is hotter because the molecules move closer together when cold and farther apart when hot.
Old 12-04-2002, 02:52 PM
Team Owner

cold makes matter contract
YES…. Cold temperatures cause SHRINKAGE.
Didn’t you ever watch Seinfeld ???

George….. “I was in the POOL !!!!”
Old 12-04-2002, 03:30 PM
Racer

water does not expand when it freezes...air goes between the water molecules that's why a container of water when frozen will be bigger than that of it's original state. plastic when heated does not contract, it just changes it's form. cold air is denser than hot air that's why CAIs make your car run faster because of the denser air. it does not matter what material it is...as long as it has mass (occupies space), it will contract when it is colder and expand when it is hotter because the molecules move closer together when cold and farther apart when hot.
\

Somebody paid attention in Physics.....I tried to come up w/ an argument, but I conceed defeat!