Mercedes C32 AMG test

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2001, 08:40 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes C32 AMG test

Mercedes' new C32 AMG has a lot resting on its shoulders. Not only is it the super-potent flagship of the three-pointed star's C-Class range, but the technology pioneered under the unassuming skin reveals the future for the firm's performance cars.
The secret is in the supercharger. Mercedes sees this belt-driven forced-induction system as the best way to increase power without harming emissions. The blower route will be taken by every AMG car from the SLK to the next-generation E-Class and forthcoming SLR McLaren supercar.

But the C32 AMG is the first model to benefit. That's appropriate considering the close affinity AMG has with the C-Class. In 1994 the C36 AMG was the first full collaboration between the two firms, and since then more than 9,000 tuned C-Classes have been produced. Mercedes has high hopes for this new car - some 3,500 will be built in both estate and saloon form each year.

Where are the skirts, jutting spoilers and bulging alloys, though? Not necessary, says Mercedes - the C32 is about stealth. AMG has wisely left the handsome lines alone, instead lowering the ride height by 30mm and fitting 17-inch alloys, chrome tailpipes and a new front airdam. It looks more purposeful sports saloon than blistering road rocket. That impression doesn't change when you start up the 3.2-litre V6. It idles noisily, but the supercharger's ability to spin at up to 20,700rpm means the hand-built engine produces 354bhp at 6,100rpm and 450Nm at 4,400rpm.

The motor responds far more quickly and smoothly than a turbo unit. It is user-friendly and devastatingly fast, reaching 0-60mph in 5.1 seconds and 0-125mph in 18.6 seconds, making this the fastest-ever Merc saloon.

However, there are a couple of downsides that may concern the keen driver. Firstly, the V6 lacks the aural character of a big-capacity V8 and, although crisp, it shrieks unpleasantly at higher revs. Secondly, and more importantly, the C32 comes only with an automatic gearbox. This would be less of a drawback if the Speedshift transmission gave more manual control. Instead Mercedes has relied on technology - the engine-management system has enough brain power to run a mission to Mars. But even in manual mode the unit will kick down and change up at the red line. That the five-speed auto is super smooth is little consolation.

Besides the car's lower ride height, AMG has sharpened up the chassis, using new springs and dampers and thicker anti-roll bars. The C32 is far superior to the blunt-handling C43 and, although it doesn't offer the outright thrills of BMW's new M3, it's extremely competent and feels composed at high speeds. The accurate steering has good feel and the chassis is exceptionally well balanced.

Altogether, the C32 is surprisingly rewarding to drive. The relatively small tyres help the ride, which proved absorbent on the roads around Stuttgart in southern Germany, while excellent refinement is only to be expected from a car that's designed to cover long distances at high speeds.

As with the exterior, the cabin is modified only slightly. The new leather sports seats wear subtle AMG badging and the speedo now reads to 300kph (186mph). However, although well equipped with electric front chairs, cruise con- trol and multiple airbags as standard, the trim feels less well put together than the Audi A4's, for example. Nevertheless, it's spacious and the estate offers a maximum 1,384-litre load area.

At current exchange rates, in Germany the C32 AMG saloon costs £36,900 and the estate £37,800. But it's highly unlikely we'll get such friendly prices in the UK, and we expect the saloon to cost around £42,000 and the load-lugger about £1,000 more.

Meet Mercedes' fastest-ever saloon. The supercharged C32 AMG is tractable and potent, more powerful than the BMW M3 and promising similar performance. It is also refined, comfortable and fun to drive thanks to its sports suspension and nimble chassis. The auto-only may deter some, but availability as both saloon and estate should ensure that it easily hits sales targets.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S
Old 03-15-2001, 09:30 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
are you sure its faster than the m3?

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
Currently on TL rims with Nokian Winter Tires
My Bitch
Old 03-15-2001, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
42,000.00 GBP
United Kingdom Pounds
=
60,321.69 USD
United States Dollars
Old 03-15-2001, 09:59 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 644 Likes on 285 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by amirsafdari:
are you sure its faster than the m3?

</font>
quite sure Amir, I've been following this cars development for quite some time...

------------------
Astroboy out...
2001 Acura CL Type S: Comptech: Headers, filter, sways, springs, koni shocks, goodridge braided brake lines, full kicker system
1996 Porsche 911 Twin Turbo: H&R Springs and sways, Bilstein shocks
Old 03-15-2001, 10:08 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Astro,

I got in the mail the latest issue of Autoweek featuring the new new Porshe 911 GT2.

Astro, You should be looking for this baby not the AMG benz

------------------
Black, Ebony, 3.2 CL Type-S.
- Acura NAV.
- 3M clear bra (full front bumper, and side mirros)
- Wheels locks.
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards,
- Winter mats,
- Trunk liner,
- Acura Spoiler.
- Valentine V1 Radar Locator.
- PIAA 19169 road lamps.
Old 03-15-2001, 10:10 PM
Kill the Chicken heads

Hey, the Porsche 911 GT, my dad just put a deposit down on that car. Its really fast!!! Does any1 know how much they are. The dealer says u could buy a turbo and a regular 911 for the price of 1 GT. Dope car though, hope he gets it.

------------------
Nick
01' Cl-S Silver/ Black W/ Navi
V-1 Radar Hard Wired, Limo Tint all around
Comptech Headers, Sways, and AEM CAI
I've got one of CLS's from the fast batch.
Lead Foot
Old 03-15-2001, 10:13 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Plan on selling your house, your retirement future, or your sould to afford tnis GT2 Set you back some $200,000+. For this price, if ever I can afford it, would go for the new replacement for Lambo diablo

------------------
- Acura NAV.
- Wheels locks.
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards,
- Winter mats,
- Trunk liner,
- Acura Spoiler.
- PIAA 19169 road lamps.
Old 03-15-2001, 10:21 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Astro,

For the sunny days, I woudl recommend taking this other shaved baby for a spin

------------------
- Acura NAV.
- Wheels locks.
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards,
- Winter mats,
- Trunk liner,
- Acura Spoiler.
- PIAA 19169 road lamps.
Old 03-15-2001, 10:21 PM
Kill the Chicken heads

Naw dawg, u need the porsche more than the Lambo, trust me. The 911 we have now is bomb, its a fucking rocket ship!! i cant even imagine what this thing is gona drive like.

------------------
Nick
Lead Foot
Old 03-15-2001, 10:22 PM
Kill the Chicken heads

Ah yes, the payment on the GT 2. well its kinda not that bad, all my dad has to do is sell his soul to the devil, THATS IT( its a good deal)

------------------
Nick
Lead Foot
Old 03-15-2001, 10:26 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Smoked all,

Can I be a friend of your "dady"

I would be happy to wash and wax his GT2...."Pssst, do not tell him that I need a couple hours to get it back to him "

------------------
- Acura NAV.
- Wheels locks.
- Mooonroof visor
- Splash guards,
- Winter mats,
- Trunk liner,
- Acura Spoiler.
- PIAA 19169 road lamps.
Old 03-16-2001, 12:05 AM
Race Director

Personally, I would rather have an M3, thankyou

But seriuosly, I dont like the look of a lot of Mercedes. The new C-Class is wonderful, and they needed this sportier version, cause their current C line up are SLOW!

Although, the only Mercedes' that I actually enjoy are the NEW C-class, CLK, CL, and the S class.

The old mercedes C class, and the current E class are way to boxy, both interior and exterior.

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
My Bitch
Old 03-16-2001, 05:22 AM
i like chicken

ummm, copy and paste? i found the same article about that car and it was word for word with your post! wow, you guys must think alike, or you copied the ...

anyway, i personally think all porsches are butt ass ugly, especially those goofy headlights. Mercedes-Benz and Bovarian Motor Works builds a much better car than porsche. sorry but it is the truth. anyway, if you want a real car get the 1999 McClaren F1. if you are on a budget get the MB CLK 430 AMG, the sweetest car ever built in the history of mankind!

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0
17" Niche Shoks (Nitto Rubber)
APC Super Blue Beams
StreetGlow Blue Head Strobes
Clear Corners
APC White Gauges
All Platinum Tint
work in progress...
Old 03-16-2001, 05:33 AM
Race Director

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rmstoico:
ummm, copy and paste? i found the same article about that car and it was word for word with your post! wow, you guys must think alike, or you copied the ...

anyway, i personally think all porsches are butt ass ugly, especially those goofy headlights. Mercedes-Benz and Bovarian Motor Works builds a much better car than porsche. sorry but it is the truth. anyway, if you want a real car get the 1999 McClaren F1. if you are on a budget get the MB CLK 430 AMG, the sweetest car ever built in the history of mankind!

</font>
dude, i knew from the start that it was. i think he knew that we would know too.

just a guess though.

------------------
2001 CL-S
Black/Black
Moonroof Visor
35% Tint All Around
Black Wood Dash Kit
My Bitch
Old 03-16-2001, 07:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
A couple of things.

First, the Porsche Carrera GT is still a concept. Porsche is not sure if they will put it in production yet. The economy right now is not helping eigher. Lots of rich people are much less rich due to this stock market so cars like the GT will have a hard time making it in my opinion. But, there is still hope cos Porsche has not dropped the plans either.

Second, I am not the one that wrote the above. This is an article I copied and pasted from an English car mag. Never claimed it is mine. I thought it was an interesting article.

Finally, to the guy that said that the MB CLK 430 AMG is the sweetest car ever built, you need to read some about cars till you realize that there is not such thing. Great cars come and go and it is all a personal pick (excluding the money factor). By the way, I wonder why you have not selected the CLK 55 AMG instead? The CLK 430 AMG is just a CLK 430 with AMG suspension, brakes? and some skirts and badging, that's it.

------------------
Gabriel
CL Type S

[This message has been edited by gavriil (edited 03-16-2001).]