Mercedes C-Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2001, 01:41 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
all I can say about it is... its damn ugly.
Old 08-09-2001, 01:41 PM
MP Video Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C-Coupe

Has anyone been up close to one of these yet, or gotten any real test performance numbers? My wife sort of likes it...maybe trade the V6 Accord.
Old 08-09-2001, 01:45 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the car. My wife loves it. She has a BMW 318Ti now and it just looks like an updated model and very similer. The price is reasonable too.
However, I would like to drive it to get some real numbers. Maybe we'll go see it this weekend.

[ 08-09-2001: Message edited by: Black_Pride ]
Old 08-09-2001, 02:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Chrisbert:
<STRONG>Has anyone been up close to one of these yet, or gotten any real test performance numbers? My wife sort of likes it...maybe trade the V6 Accord.</STRONG>
I used to have a V6 Accord and during that time I test drove a C230 Kompressor which has the exact same engine that the new C- Coupe will have. If you're used to the buttery smoothness and torque of a V6 I doubt you'll like the new C-Coupe. It sounds like it's being powered by a very loud, cheap blender. And at $25K for what is basically a glorified Civic hatchback I can't say it's a helluva deal.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:25 PM
MP Video Extraordinaire

Hmmm...good info. $25K also doesn't come with the level of amenities as her EX-V6 either. I'll probably point her to the TL-S.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I kind of like that car, but value wise, it's not equal to the CL-S / TL-S. To get the car to look like it does in the commercial you're talking around $32k... not worth it in my book, especially for that price you can get a 260hp machine with all the ammenities if not more then the C-Coupe....
Old 08-09-2001, 02:56 PM
FvCK KNvCKLE

Originally posted by soopa:
<STRONG>all I can say about it is... its damn ugly.</STRONG>
I disagree. Your obviously still grumpy and not thinking clearly.
Old 08-09-2001, 02:58 PM
Retired Post Whore

Dont like the appearance at all!
Old 08-09-2001, 03:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Women happen to like the look of that car. My friend's wife has the 318ti and now she want that new C-coupe. She thinks its cute. I don't like it though.
Old 08-09-2001, 03:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
My friend just bought one(girl)..I think it is damn ugly! It looks like a Honda Insight! Now if it were powered by something a little more powerful, then sure at least you could say it is a goo getter car..but it isn't.
Old 08-09-2001, 04:39 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just have one thing to sa about he c-coupe

THE CAR IS ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2001, 04:41 PM

My girlfriend is wanting desparately to trade in her Land Rover for one of these...

You guys really think they're junk?
Old 08-09-2001, 06:08 PM
Cruisin'

I don't know if they are junk, but I did drive one on an auto-cross course at an MB event. All I can say is that it is to MB what the Catera is/was to Cadillac. I'm really surprised they are making that car. The engine was buzzy and not responsive, the suspension was horrible, and the interior reminded me of a Civic two generations ago.

Of course, some people want an MB logo and can afford anything else. To each his own, but I think it costs too much $ for too little product.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:12 PM
www.drippinwet.com

Originally posted by GoldTypeS:
<STRONG>

I used to have a V6 Accord and during that time I test drove a C230 Kompressor which has the exact same engine that the new C- Coupe will have. If you're used to the buttery smoothness and torque of a V6 I doubt you'll like the new C-Coupe. It sounds like it's being powered by a very loud, cheap blender. And at $25K for what is basically a glorified Civic hatchback I can't say it's a helluva deal.</STRONG>
its not the same engine, its the next generation of the engine, it is quieter, also it has standard 8 airbags, the car in the commercial is around 29,000, we have 2 demo c-coupes, no its not a cl-s, but it does have "the star" appeal, lifetime sign and drive, jump start, flat tire change, 2 gallons of fuel (in case you run out) tele-aid is optional 4/50 warranty includes maintenance, loaner program, its pretty good as a manual 6-speed, but again its NO TYPE S, its not trying to be, its a good car for who and what it is targeted to if i was buying one, i would want leather, sunroof, and wheel pakage (17 inch, body colored door handles, headlamp washers - $750.00 option package - the other 2 are a grand apiece)
plus even if one is a honda, you can still say you drive a mb, and everyone here knows that that has some prestige to it nomatter if it is a low model car, much more than civic apeal anyway
Old 08-10-2001, 02:43 AM
Ace rider

Exactly acura_service, it's for people that want image vs. substance. Prestige over value. Slowness vs. quickness. etc...
Old 08-10-2001, 04:13 AM
Advanced

brabus can do wonders...

and so can lorinser...

but this would have looked super nice with the lm5 wheels!

how about carlsson...
Old 08-10-2001, 05:26 AM
Safety Car

Yeah but wtf...what kind of price would that make the coupe? I mean the inside is still the worst of all mercedes!
Old 08-10-2001, 06:59 AM
- daemonichris -

i like the c-coupe. the engine is pretty good since it's the "shittiest" benz so to speak. but overall it's comfortable and very benz-like... my gf has had it for a month now so i've had plenty of time to drive it around... and it's definitely a good buy since it runs about $26k or so.
Old 08-10-2001, 12:35 PM
Instructor

I went to test drive one on Tuesday. The car while not very fast is pretty smooth. Tach went all the way up to close to 6k, it was smooth and quiet. I have a CLS and I think at least my car isn't all that smooth especially at low RPMs and I hate to say it it's just not that fast. I have to rev it pretty hard to get any acceleration. And it can get loud and rough while doing it. I thought 260 HP would be a lot more powerful than 200 in my old CL. But Iam a little disappointed.

The MB coupe is nice from the front, looks like one of those CL500s. Rear is not attractive. Interior material is actually decent given that it is the cheapest Benz. And with all the options I want, it's close to 35k, a little much for a supercharged 4 cylinder. The nav system is CD based only and the CD changer is in the glove box. It does have good safety features - brake assist, so many airbags, ESP. Also, both seats have like 10 way power adjustments, power telescoping steering wheel. Dual climate control. Of course a lot of these are options. But at least they;re available. Oh, no Xenon lights whatsoever.

The ride is very comparable to the Acura, not as quiet but acceptable. Handling I couldn't test since the road was kind of busy at 6pm. All in all, nice car.
Old 08-10-2001, 01:38 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by dacura:
<STRONG>I went to test drive one on Tuesday. The car while not very fast is pretty smooth. Tach went all the way up to close to 6k, it was smooth and quiet. I have a CLS and I think at least my car isn't all that smooth especially at low RPMs and I hate to say it it's just not that fast. I have to rev it pretty hard to get any acceleration. And it can get loud and rough while doing it. I thought 260 HP would be a lot more powerful than 200 in my old CL. But Iam a little disappointed.</STRONG>
You might want to step on the gas in your CL-S a little harder and maybe you will go faster. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-10-2001, 04:00 PM
Instructor

I do rev it pretty high but it's just not there. Like I said maybe it's my car.
Old 08-10-2001, 05:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by dacura:
<STRONG>And with all the options I want, it's close to 35k, a little much for a supercharged 4 cylinder. </STRONG>

Sorry, but I think that's just ridiculous!! At least the new Mini Cooper S is only going to be about $20K to start. So let's say $25K fully loaded? Yeah, its smaller, but I think it will appeal to the same crowd. $35K is just absolutely stupid for a Civic-sized hatchback with a 3 pointed star and a nav system.
Old 08-10-2001, 05:19 PM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Hm.. does Civic has side-airbags?? Nope... does Civic has Curtain-Bags?? Nope.... Current MB's are not as well made as early 90's and late 80's....but body-structure wise, German cars are on the top. I hate to say this, but my TL-S has much more body-flex than my friend's "old" 1997 C280... and it's much more apparent when you go up the angled driveway....

Also, ALL MBs have LIFE-TIME road side assist... I don't think Acura offers that... my Road-Side assist goes out as my warranty ends....

Sure it's much more expensive than Civic HB... but do you rather crashed in a C-Coupe or a Civic(ok, it's not the best way of referring, but just want to prove some points)???

Andy Kuo
Old 08-10-2001, 06:11 PM
Instructor

I think roadside assistance on the MB goes out when the warranty goes out too. I remember asking that.,
Old 08-10-2001, 06:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by AKRY:
<STRONG>Hm.. does Civic has side-airbags?? Nope... does Civic has Curtain-Bags?? Nope.... Current MB's are not as well made as early 90's and late 80's....but body-structure wise, German cars are on the top. I hate to say this, but my TL-S has much more body-flex than my friend's "old" 1997 C280... and it's much more apparent when you go up the angled driveway....

Also, ALL MBs have LIFE-TIME road side assist... I don't think Acura offers that... my Road-Side assist goes out as my warranty ends....

Sure it's much more expensive than Civic HB... but do you rather crashed in a C-Coupe or a Civic(ok, it's not the best way of referring, but just want to prove some points)???

Andy Kuo</STRONG>
I understand your points. Safety and reputation go a long way in selling a car. I also realize that the MB has many amenities not offered on the Civic. But we're talking a 30% price difference here (AT LEAST). I think the car biz is too competitive for that. Whatever happened to platform sharing cutting costs? I guess that's not the case at MB!!!
Old 08-10-2001, 06:37 PM
Banned

<STRONG>

Whatever happened to platform sharing cutting costs? I guess that's not the case at MB!!!</STRONG>
Remember you have to pay for that European Marxist Workers's Paradise.
Old 08-10-2001, 09:37 PM
www.drippinwet.com

<STRONG>

Sorry, but I think that's just ridiculous!! At least the new Mini Cooper S is only going to be about $20K to start. So let's say $25K fully loaded? Yeah, its smaller, but I think it will appeal to the same crowd. $35K is just absolutely stupid for a Civic-sized hatchback with a 3 pointed star and a nav system.</STRONG>
you have to understand, i deal with mercedes owners everyday all day, they like "safety" some luxury and power is ok also, but i think alot will be sold to peoples kids because the c class has so many safety features for the money, and everyone talks about how its underpowered, wait till you see the accessories and addon's for this car plus you can buy a head from brabus, exhaust you can definately "tweak" it,

p.s. Mercedes Benz does have lifetime "sign and drive" flat tire change, jump start, or gas if you run out, although that is only from MBUSA not mercedes benz, only in america can you get lifetime sign and drive
(i know i write the repair orders on them)
Old 08-11-2001, 04:31 AM
MB-Fanatic w/TL-S

Mercedes-Benz Canada also offers Life-Time roadside assist(seems to be offered in North America only).

GoldTypeS,

Believe it or not... MB DOES do platform sharing!!! In fact, the new S-Class/CL-Class(W220/C215) shares chassis with current E-Class(W210). CLK/SLK shares chassis with last gen C-Class.

MB used to design chassic for each and every classes.... but it's not the case now...

Andy Kuo
Old 08-11-2001, 04:48 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by acura_service:
<STRONG>
and everyone talks about how its underpowered, wait till you see the accessories and addon's for this car plus you can buy a head from brabus, exhaust you can definately "tweak" it,

</STRONG>
But see, you are still talking about major 'tweaks'...You can take almost any car out there and pour thousands of dollars into it and make it faster than stock. I know that brabus and other company upgrade parts for MB's are way overpriced! Kinda like Mugen for Honda...So again, give me the final price of the coupe with all the bells and whistles from...lets just say brabus for now...And then see what car you could've gotten for the price tag.
Old 08-11-2001, 08:13 PM
www.drippinwet.com

its no different than comptech headers, cai, wheels, sways, how much money has been poured into some peoples vehicles here on the board, its just that when people say its underpowered, mb never claimed it to be a powerhouse, the car is what it is, if i had to choose a car to be in an accident in, it would be a mb