M5 Deck/Lip spoiler...another question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 10:57 AM
DP's for life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
M5 Deck/Lip spoiler...another question

The OEM is so much more expensive then the replica...I did a search and found people that have bought both and seem to be happy with both the OEM and the replica versions. I really want to but the OEM version, but it is about $100 more expensive. I just want to know if anyone has bought the replica and found it to be a POS and turned around and bought the OEM version instead? I am concerned that the replica will not hold up as well as the OEM version, but I do not know if this is the case. Anyone have any personal experince with this?
Old 03-18-2004, 11:32 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Re: M5 Deck/Lip spoiler...another question

Originally posted by Artwork
The OEM is so much more expensive then the replica...I did a search and found people that have bought both and seem to be happy with both the OEM and the replica versions. I really want to but the OEM version, but it is about $100 more expensive. I just want to know if anyone has bought the replica and found it to be a POS and turned around and bought the OEM version instead? I am concerned that the replica will not hold up as well as the OEM version, but I do not know if this is the case. Anyone have any personal experince with this?
I don't have that exact personal experience since I went OEM from the beginning, however, I can tell you that we've had several people buy the Genuine BMW spoiler from us after buying a replica online and not not being happy with the quality of the replica. Now, I'm not sure where they got their spoilers from... but wherever it was they were not happy and ended up going OEM anyway. Had they done that from the start they would have actually saved $40-$60 dollars anyway. Plus, it's a $30k car... why cheap out on a spoiler to save $100? I never understood that. I mean, we sell them both, and our margins are slightly better with the replicas.. but I'd almost always recommend OEM over replicas... for anything.

Only a few have given examples, but one that happened a few times was the flake peeling when they curved it to the trunk. Now, that could be bad paint, but it happened to a couple of people located in different areas... so not sure. FWIW, we've never had a complaint about the genuine BMW spoilers.
Old 03-18-2004, 11:42 AM
DP's for life

Re: Re: M5 Deck/Lip spoiler...another question

Originally posted by juniorbean
I don't have that exact personal experience since I went OEM from the beginning, however, I can tell you that we've had several people buy the Genuine BMW spoiler from us after buying a replica online and not not being happy with the quality of the replica. Now, I'm not sure where they got their spoilers from... but wherever it was they were not happy and ended up going OEM anyway. Had they done that from the start they would have actually saved $40-$60 dollars anyway. Plus, it's a $30k car... why cheap out on a spoiler to save $100? I never understood that. I mean, we sell them both, and our margins are slightly better with the replicas.. but I'd almost always recommend OEM over replicas... for anything.

Only a few have given examples, but one that happened a few times was the flake peeling when they curved it to the trunk. Now, that could be bad paint, but it happened to a couple of people located in different areas... so not sure. FWIW, we've never had a complaint about the genuine BMW spoilers.
Junior-

Thanks for the info...I think your right OEM seems like the correct move for me. What I was really getting at was the OEM a rip off and the replica just as nice only $100 cheaper. Sounds like that is not the case...
Old 03-18-2004, 09:46 PM
Got a Job!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Artwork ~

I just recently bought a replica M5 lip spoiler from a guy on the bimmer forums. So far, no paint is peeling or chipping, and the quality is pretty damn good...It was a big debate for me as well, because I'm a student and have little money, and this worked out perfectly. I say go w/ your gut instinct. You should be happy either way. If I had enough money, I'd go OEM just CAUSE I can say it's OEM you know. As I said, its all personal preference. Mine is doing great so far

Old 03-18-2004, 11:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought a replica on ebay for $40.00 . I've never seen a OEM in person but mine wasn't perfect. It was kind of wavy so I blocked sanded it and bent it before getting it painted. I'm very happy with the way it came out. If the OEM is straight and doesn't need any prep work, it's probably worth the extra money.

Tip. Mine came without the 3M tape on the spoiler. I put it on after it was painted. Now you can see the tape between the it and the trunk lid. I left about an 1/8" between the tape and the edge and you can still see it. I should have painted the edge of the tape before I pu it on.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:36 AM
DP's for life

The OEM comes pre-sanded and pre-primed, so it should be a little more ready for paint. as for the tape i will look at that more closely before I put it on...thanks for the suggestion
Old 03-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by Artwork
The OEM comes pre-sanded and pre-primed, so it should be a little more ready for paint. as for the tape i will look at that more closely before I put it on...thanks for the suggestion
Yup, it's pretty much ready to be painted....