Love love love my cl-s

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Love love love my cl-s

I cannot describe the feeling I get when I drive this car. I must admit, this is the 1st foreign car I have owned. I have ALOT to learn- terminology, mechanics of the field, alot.
To give a quick rundown, I just bought a 2001 acura cl type s w/163k on her. Pretty good condition over all. My biggest concern is the timing belt. I know it was changed at some poin , but when is the biggest concern. The guy (kid) I bought it from had no idea. I say kid, I am 42. So he was in his mid 20's? Claimed he had car for a year.
All in all, the car only needs the square part of the passenger back rest in back of seat, probablywwouldn't hurt to get alignment (but no rush), and probably sum new HIDs from DDM. Has aftermarket wheels. Still growing on me. I wouldn't have picked them. I fixed the wiper squirters. I also have original wheels + 2 great looking tires, and the original radio. He put aftermarket in. I did install remote start. Need tht here in Vegas. Car just needs sum tlc is all really. I just worry about the timing belt!
Well, just wanted to say hello and how much I love this car! Take care. Joe
The following users liked this post:
SoReal (04-23-2013)
Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 850 Likes on 673 Posts
Post some pics
SoReal (04-23-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 06:27 AM
Advanced

I will. Just wanna get her a nice coat of polish on 1st. Haven't had time to do that yet.
SoReal (04-23-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 06:45 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Congrats. IMHO DDM Tuning quality has decreased in the past few years. My set became two different colors over time, and lost brightness.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:55 AM
Advanced

I had DDM on my 04 Vrod for about 3yrs? I never once had a problem with it. Actually took me longer to figure out how to run everything than to hook everything up.
I will check out what you said and take it as a precaution. Thanks for heads up.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Forget worrying about the timing belt, make sure the trans is ok, you might have to put some money aside for another one.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced

The problem is, a tranny is not really gonna give you much notice of implosion or anything like that. I am mechanically knowledgeable with alot of things. I have to just hope it will be OK. Change fluid out often (more than normally done?) and I don't don't drive in 5th all the time, unless I am on the highway. Stays in 4th till such time. Old Chevy trick is learned w/700r4 trans.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:40 PM
Go Phins!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats, take care of it. Change the timing belt just incase because you are over 150k right now.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:37 AM
Advanced

Yeah, I wanna do it cause a) new car to me b) no info on when it was done. Just would put my mind at ease..
Old 04-19-2013, 09:30 PM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Received 139 Likes on 126 Posts
Is your car black ? craigslist ? Hey , I live in Vegas too . If you need some parts or some advice let me know . There is a car show at Henderson acura tomorrow by the way if you wanna roll through . Good luck with the car !
Old 04-19-2013, 10:29 PM
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts
Good luck (especially with the tranny). I just had timing belt done today on my car (89K, but almost 10 years old). The Mechanic I had do said it was starting to look worn (shiny on the side w/o the teeth). Didn't look that bad to me, but I'm pretty much clueless. Waterpump did have a "rough" spot when you turned it. I'm sure it was time to do this work, and now I won't worry about grenading the motor when I "drive it like a kid". I got my timing kit from Larry @ Hansel. The only thing that should have been included that wasn't was the timing belt idler. So my car got a gates part here. Also had a new passenger side motor mount and external belt tensioner installed. All in all I'm happy.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Advanced

@mike yes would love to meetup with you soon. I do need a part or two. Nothing pressing. I went by the acura dealer. Had to see Derek at parts for something.
@oldsman glad you got yours done. I am trying to find someone on here tht can help me change my belt. I would prefer to do it myself. But no one is saying anything as of yet.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 PM
Ultra Negro

Originally Posted by sabohead
The problem is, a tranny is not really gonna give you much notice of implosion or anything like that. I am mechanically knowledgeable with alot of things. I have to just hope it will be OK. Change fluid out often (more than normally done?) and I don't don't drive in 5th all the time, unless I am on the highway. Stays in 4th till such time. Old Chevy trick is learned w/700r4 trans.
I am not being rude in anyway but honestly if that is the tranny that came with the car, it will go out regardless of what you do unless you do the revision, search the boards, now if it is the revised transmission you should be ok, but I would check to be sure.

And this ain't no chevy man.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:46 AM
Advanced

I honostly dont know what the tranny is inthe car. Not sure how to check for a revised tranny? Like I said just the car. I dont think you are being rude. I take advise however it comes. Like I said new to this type of car. Thanks for advise. Will try to find out what the "revised" tranny is. Joe
Old 04-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
even if it was replaced, odds are it was replaced with the same faulty auto tranny (known recall) and the only way you can have peace of mind will be to swap to a different automatic transmission (other members have used 06-07 TL/Odyssey/01-02 MDX) or do a full swap to a 6 speed. If not, the chances are good your tranny will go out, regardless of timing belt repairs and preventative maintenance you may perform. Your first *mod should be to set aside a $1000 rainy day transmission fund.

Darkie wasn't trying to be rude, just giving fair warning to save your money for when, not if, it will go out, because odds are it will even if replaced under warranty.

All that aside, it's never a bad idea to go ahead and do the 105k timing belt full service, especially if you don't know when it was performed and because of the high mileage, you will likely be due for one soon anyhow. A sponsored Acura vendor on Acurazine, has a special on the parts needed to do the timing belt and more, consider them to save money and the shipping for me was lightning quick. Here's the thread for that: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-2001-2003-50/timing-belt-special-still-going-strong-%40-%24299-shipped-821766/

good luck and post some pics.
Old 04-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Advanced

Thanks Austin. I never thought darkie was being rude. Never crossed my mind. The more I read on this forum, the more information I learn. But the timing belt is more of a issue with me right now, instead of the tranny. Tranny will come down the road. BTW what is the "main" cause for all the tranny problems? Myself guessing...... riding in 5th gear all the time? That would be my 1st guess?. Or is it that there not one particular problem?? Still learning/figuring things out about the car.
Is there a lot involved in swapping to a 6sp? Like bolt right in? I wouldn't think so, since dash display goesup to 5.??
Now iI have more to research! Lol. Thanks Austin for info/advice. I truly appreciate it. Thanks. Joe
Old 04-23-2013, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Received 131 Likes on 106 Posts
Thanks Austin. I never thought darkie was being rude. Never crossed my mind. The more I read on this forum, the more information I learn. But the timing belt is more of a issue with me right now, instead of the tranny. Tranny will come down the road. BTW what is the "main" cause for all the tranny problems? Myself guessing...... riding in 5th gear all the time? That would be my 1st guess?. Or is it that there not one particular problem?? Still learning/figuring things out about the car.
Is there a lot involved in swapping to a 6sp? Like bolt right in? I wouldn't think so, since dash display goesup to 5.??
Now iI have more to research! Lol. Thanks Austin for info/advice. I truly appreciate it. Thanks. Joe
spend some time in this 'Transmission Recall Q&A' sub forum pinned above: https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-transmission-recall-q-55/

Browse the pinned threads up top with answers to your questions of 'Why', along with many posts about various swap projects, other autos, 6sp's, etc. that should answer many of your related questions.

I was the same way about the timing belt, my mileage was well below 100k, but the years are also a factor. Belts wear over time and climates probably impact condition and wear too, so if you lack documentation go ahead and spend the $500-750 for parts/labor and buy yourself peace of mind, at least as far as the TB is concerned.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Advanced

Yeah. Thanks Austin. I found a place that will do it for $400 parts and labor. They have a good reputation. I wanna do it myself, but not sure if my back will hold out. Will check out tranny section. Thanksoonce again. Joe
Old 04-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Ultra Negro

Yeah. Thanks Austin. I found a place that will do it for $400 parts and labor. They have a good reputation. I wanna do it myself, but not sure if my back will hold out. Will check out tranny section. Thanksoonce again. Joe
Yeah man was just helping out, but I know for a fact the transmissions from 01-04 in anything with a V6 will go out, I replaced the one in my mother's MDX with a newer unit so it should be ok but we shall see., just put about 80k on it with no serious issues yet.

Last edited by OperationDarkie; 04-23-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:30 PM
Advanced

*update*

Went to acura dealer in Henderson. Had them run vin. @ 97k the tranny was replaced by them. So it has 70k+ on it. It was a "recall".
Also, they have a special going on for timing belts. $477.77 for drive & timing belts. Which isn't a bad deal. I don't wanna do the water pump. I know I know. Just get it done while it'sthere . I will not pay $190 for a water pump from stealership. I would rather get one from Autozone and just pay a lil for labor since they'll be right at it. So that's where I am at. Just wanted to give a update. Joe
Old 04-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Ultra Negro

last I check all that shit was part of the timing belt replacement, sounds like something fishy going on at that dealership.

Well at least mine was.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Racer

Received 103 Likes on 64 Posts
You should probably also replace both T-Belt tensioners as well as the timing idler pully. It would be a shame not to replace these and have one fail a year from now. Also I'm pretty sure the water pump needs removed to do the t-Belt. Why go back with a worn part? By the time all was said and done I spent $975 last week. This also included passenger side motor mount, as well as external serpentine belt tensioner, new coolant and of course an oil change. I felt pretty good about this considering our local Acura dealer quoted me $1000 for the labor only.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
congrats, reminds me of when I got my first CL. I've had two and I always loved the CL, something about the seating position, engine sound and interior that really left a mark on my mind. You will be pleasantly surprised at the amount of parts and support you wil receive from this community.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced

@ Ron. Thanks. I feel like a kid in school. So much to learn. Lol