Lou vs. Scooter...CT IceBox vs. X

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 04:41 PM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lou vs. Scooter...CT IceBox vs. X

since Lou got his headers installed last night, and since Lou and i put his CT upperstrut bar on this afternoon, we decided to run a few times against each other...in all 3 runs, there was absolutely NO difference whatsoever...except for the fact that neither of us could lock up, whoever locked up first was ahead, but neither of us gained or lost any ground at all...so it was even all the way, even at 90+

for the record, here r our major performance specs:

Lou
CT headers
CT Ice Box
CT Upperstrut bar
SSR Comps
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 235/45/17
CT springs
CT sways
stuff in trunk - 1 Brembo brake box with caliper and rotor, old headers, stock bar, and some boxes

Scooter
CT headers
X CAI
Neuspeed Upperstrut bar
stock rims
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 225/50/17
CT springs
CT sways
stuff in trunk - 3 towels
Old 03-09-2003, 04:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Hmmn... VERY interesting. Even though Lou had a few extra pounds in the trunk, it looks like the IceBox gives the same power as a CAI.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:59 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
wonder if your new pirelli's would have made any difference?
Old 03-09-2003, 05:07 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait he's running SSR Comps? He should have some rotational and unsprung weight advantage on ya, no?
Old 03-09-2003, 05:11 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by cusdaddy
Hmmn... VERY interesting. Even though Lou had a few extra pounds in the trunk, it looks like the IceBox gives the same power as a CAI.
that's right...which is y i listed the mods...for ex, since he's got 14 pound rims, and i got 25 pound rims, yer talkin about almost a dead even weight since it offsets his trunk weight...i weigh 200 pounds, but i dunno how much Lou weighs if we're gonna get that technical
Old 03-09-2003, 05:12 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by JRock
Wait he's running SSR Comps? He should have some rotational and unsprung weight advantage on ya, no?
no, b/c he lost the weight advantage with his trunk stuff

he's got a 44 pound advantage initially...between his Brembo rotor and caliper and stock headers, that should b almost the same amount of weight in the trunk
Old 03-09-2003, 05:19 PM
Banned

Yep absolutely even I don't know why but whoever got the lead held on to the lead and nobody gained or loss I weighed everything in the trunk and weighed in at 67 lbs which shouldn't have made a big difference and I weigh 168 so that should offset with Scooter 200lbs. That sucks I don't know if reseting my ECU will make a big difference cause I haven't done that since I put on my headers last night.
weight was as follows:
Brembo complete brake kit = 25 lbs.
stock headers = 27 lbs.
tool box and ratchet set =15 lbs.

I also had the stock strut bar but it only weighs like 3 lbs. so I didn't count it.

We are gonna have a lot of fun at the drags the way things are going. I live for this

I can see Scooter will be a force to reckon with once the SSR Gt1 and the Pirellis Pzero nero
Old 03-09-2003, 05:41 PM
///M POWER

so theres really no point in me selling my aem cai for a ice box. even if it dyno's with 5 more whp, dyno is just a piece of paper, its the 1/4 times that count(at least for me)
Old 03-09-2003, 05:47 PM
Banned

Originally posted by darrinb
so theres really no point in me selling my aem cai for a ice box. even if it dyno's with 5 more whp, dyno is just a piece of paper, its the 1/4 times that count(at least for me)
no, no, no please don't interpret this as the Xpher is better than the Icebox we both had traction problems. The first time we ran I was peeling tires seemed like forever so the only way we can tell is if we both hookup. Im telling you the Xpher that scooter is running has a power filter that is like a foot long so he is suppose to get more air than any AEM not only that but Xpher is a better intake than the Aem at least thats what I heard I never used it.
Darrinb Im telling you it gives you the torque a lot more than AEM I don't know about Scooter and his foot long (subway hero size) filter. If you want wait for 3/29 and we will see who know there sheet and who is going home a

Old 03-09-2003, 06:04 PM
Banned

Scooter just doesn't have a regular Xpher look at the picture carefully and look at how big his AEM power filter is....its like 10" long so for the Icebox to compare to a Xepher with a filter like that says a lot.

Old 03-09-2003, 06:13 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by lou
Scooter just doesn't have a regular Xpher look at the picture carefully and look at how big his AEM power filter is....its like 10" long so for the Icebox to compare to a Xepher with a filter like that says a lot.

Lou, that filter came with the intake...bypass valve also came with the intake
Old 03-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Suzuka Master

I think Lou has the weight advantage. Even if both cars + driver weighed the exact same, most of his weight loss is in the rims - which are rotating mass. That makes a HUGE difference.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
at this point in mods, any little delay in hooking up will make enough difference to lose by a hair. The real horsepower increse can only be seen when trying to reach top speed, and depending on where your running, it isn't too logical. at this point, who ever has better tires would prolly get a better result. Lou, did you feel a huge difference from the intake to headers? I want to put in the AEM when you get a chance.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Banned

Originally posted by rondog
at this point in mods, any little delay in hooking up will make enough difference to lose by a hair. The real horsepower increse can only be seen when trying to reach top speed, and depending on where your running, it isn't too logical. at this point, who ever has better tires would prolly get a better result. Lou, did you feel a huge difference from the intake to headers? I want to put in the AEM when you get a chance.
The Michelin A/S were great tires pre Ice-Box and pre headers right now if I even slightly accelerate the tires are breaking loose. Me and Scooter ran 3 times the first time I spun forever and Scooter got about a 2 car lead and we ended up about that. The last 2 times I got grip first but that is only because I didn't accelerate hard and I was ahead of Scooter about a car length the last 2 times we ran. So the only way we can tell at this point is if both of our cars hookup better I might have to invest in stickier tires if I want to compete these Michelin A/S are just not cutting it. I thought I would never say this about Michelins costing $200+ but I need summer tires or I am gonna spin like crazy at the drags. FAWK I AM GONNA HATE BUYING NEW TIRES
Old 03-09-2003, 10:48 PM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by lou
no, no, no please don't interpret this as the Xpher is better than the Icebox we both had traction problems. The first time we ran I was peeling tires seemed like forever so the only way we can tell is if we both hookup.
Lou, I hear you on the traction issue.

After installing the Icebox, I was spinning my wheels like

My first run with the Icebox I ran a 16.45. :o

I spun the wheels thru 1st and a good part of 2nd. I had black tar and rubber all around my front fenders.

So my opinion is that there is enough of a gain at very low RPMs that we have to adjust. Even with my AA traction T1-S Toyos, I thought I had those OEM piggies back on. :P

Ruf
Old 03-09-2003, 11:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by RUF87
Lou, I hear you on the traction issue.

After installing the Icebox, I was spinning my wheels like

My first run with the Icebox I ran a 16.45. :o

I spun the wheels thru 1st and a good part of 2nd. I had black tar and rubber all around my front fenders.

So my opinion is that there is enough of a gain at very low RPMs that we have to adjust. Even with my AA traction T1-S Toyos, I thought I had those OEM piggies back on. :P

Ruf
This my sound ridiculous but the first time we ran I punched it and the tires spun right into 2nd gear and then it automatically shifted back to first and then is when I started to move. On the last two runs I was given it 1/2 throttle just to make it move and then punch it but Scooter was peeling like sheet also so its still a toss up. I will say this my car feels quick and if I can get traction thing sorted out no question there will be some good slips coming my way
Old 03-09-2003, 11:05 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Originally posted by lou
The Michelin A/S were great tires pre Ice-Box and pre headers right now if I even slightly accelerate the tires are breaking loose. . I thought I would never say this about Michelins costing $200+ but I need summer tires or I am gonna spin like crazy at the drags. FAWK I AM GONNA HATE BUYING NEW TIRES

I am stock and can spin without issue. You name it from a stop, from a 5 mph roll, from a 15mph roll.

LOL, dude don't even bother going to the tracks with those tires. You will be SADLY disappointed!!!!!!!! Just go purchase some toyos and be done with it
Old 03-09-2003, 11:06 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

ruf87,
Still no traction with the TOYOs????????? FAWK..........
Old 03-09-2003, 11:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Zapata
ruf87,
Thats what Im thinkin what can I get that is stickier than the Toyos t1. Damn I just want the stickiest summer tires around. I love Scooter Pirellis but Ill wait to see what his impression is first.

I don't even want to take my car if Im not gonna be able to engage and by lowering the pressure I might have to compensate with trap speed.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:41 PM
Lead Footed

ruf87,
Yep, I had to lower the tire pressure down to 25lbs to hook-up. I was able to run consistent 60' times of 2.21 to 2.19 once I did that.

I've already been looking at what my next tire will be. The Toyos are too expensive to be burning thru them like that.

Ruf
Old 03-09-2003, 11:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
kumho 712 hook up like a mofo, did for me anyways.

i got a set for sale, xlnt cond, $450 shipped
Old 03-10-2003, 06:38 AM
'Cooter

funny u mention that...b/c the stock "piggies" gave the best times back in Nov's E-Town meet since it had good surface area coverage
Old 03-10-2003, 08:06 AM
Suzuka Master

If you remember Zapata's video from Acura wars at E-Town in November, I spun my tires for almost the entire 1/8. The CLS needs really sticky tires to get all the power to the ground.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:57 AM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Scooter
Lou, that filter came with the intake...bypass valve also came with the intake
YUP, that’s the same filter I have on mine.

The Xephyr is the BEST CAI design that was available for our car at the time.
Too bad the management of the company wasn’t as good as the product.

Shawn S
Old 03-10-2003, 10:39 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Yep, I had to lower the tire pressure down to 25lbs to hook-up. I was able to run consistent 60' times of 2.21 to 2.19 once I did that.

I've already been looking at what my next tire will be. The Toyos are too expensive to be burning thru them like that.

Ruf
Ugh....not sure what i'll do in that case. I was really hoping the Toyo's would work out since they are so light Ugh.....oh well i guess the search continues.
Old 03-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Lead Footed

Ugh....not sure what i'll do in that case. I was really hoping the Toyo's would work out since they are so light Ugh.....oh well i guess the search continues.
Not sure there is a better alternative at this point.

All the tires that are lighter or equal to the Toyos don't have the AA traction rating.

So don't bail on the Toyos yet.

Ruf
Old 03-10-2003, 11:46 AM
'Cooter

All the tires that are lighter or equal to the Toyos don't have the AA traction rating.

Ruf
PZero Nero's...within 0.7 of 1 pound of the T1S's
Old 03-10-2003, 12:18 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Ruf
Yeah i'm like chicken little on this tire issue.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:25 PM
///M POWER

y didnt u guys race from a 50 roll so traction wouldn be an issue
Old 03-10-2003, 01:10 PM
'Cooter

y didnt u guys race from a 50 roll so traction wouldn be an issue
even at almost 100, noone was gaining ground, and in 3rd, that's above 5K, so i don't think it woulda mattered much

this is interesting tho if u think about it...Lou was running REAL good at E-town back in Nov, and i was running quite sh!tty, so either Lou got significantly worse, or i somehow got significantly better...the actuator prob was the culprit back in Nov for me...so i can finally lay that issue to rest
Old 03-10-2003, 01:43 PM
Lead Footed

PZero Nero's...within 0.7 of 1 pound of the T1S's
Thanks Scooter.

I've just looked at them and they certainly look like a player.

A little bit cheaper than the Toyos.

However, the tread life may be a downside.

I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too. :P

Ruf
Old 03-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

Ruf87,
Yeah that's the biggest complaint i saw on the site. What's the treadwear rating for the toyos?
Old 03-10-2003, 01:56 PM
Lead Footed

Ruf87,
Yeah that's the biggest complaint i saw on the site. What's the treadwear rating for the toyos?
First of all, let me say this. Treadwear ratings are not a meaurement that works well across tire manufactures.

It is indicative of treadwear amoung the various tire models of a given manufacture.

So, that said, the Toyo's are 280 vs 220 for the NZeros.

Now how many more miles will that mean? It's a guess.

Ruf
Old 03-10-2003, 02:15 PM
Banned

even at almost 100, noone was gaining ground, and in 3rd, that's above 5K, so i don't think it woulda mattered much

this is interesting tho if u think about it...Lou was running REAL good at E-town back in Nov, and i was running quite sh!tty, so either Lou got significantly worse, or i somehow got significantly better...the actuator prob was the culprit back in Nov for me...so i can finally lay that issue to rest
Since E-town in Nov. here are the following differences:

went from Gt1s 17lbs to SSR Comps 14 lbs
went from AEM to Ice-box
got headers
got new tranny

I have all imrovements except the tranny which I can't tell if better or worse.

I will reset my ECU and try the Michelin A/S when it gets warmer cause they are AA traction tires but only A in temp. maybe that is the issue that is making the tires spin.

Scooter now that I got my trunk empty we should run again this time with somebody at the finish line to witness. Im telling you the Ice-box will give me the needed torque to jump out in front of you but if my wheels are spinning we are going top end -vs- top end......I believe the xepher gives you similar HP on top because its free flowing but the Icebox gives you like 8lbs. of torque more than the Xepher. Let me know the next time you want to go my car with empty trunk and reset ECU Im willing to do for informational purposes and don't worry when I beat you by 2 car lengths you can use the excuse lightweight wheels
Old 03-10-2003, 02:17 PM
'Cooter

First of all, let me say this. Treadwear ratings are not a meaurement that works well across tire manufactures.

It is indicative of treadwear amoung the various tire models of a given manufacture.

So, that said, the Toyo's are 280 vs 220 for the NZeros.

Now how many more miles will that mean? It's a guess.

Ruf
correct...the Nero's have a deeper tread, so i dunno

Toyo's have 3 more revs per mile if u wanna get really technical

load rating is over 300 pounds more with the Nero's also in case u want that extra support for hard cornering or autox racing
Old 03-10-2003, 02:20 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Damn lou, your just racking up competition by the day. First me, then scooter... When I get the AEM put in, we can run with bigman at the finnish line filming the whole thing. I just went to the gas station and got the perfect air pressure put into my tires, now they hook up alot better and they still have alot of tread. I just hope my car is having one of those good days when we run. you should really film your run with scooter, let me know, me and Bigman might make it over there.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:27 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by lou
Let me know the next time you want to go my car with empty trunk and reset ECU Im willing to do for informational purposes and don't worry when I beat you by 2 car lengths you can use the excuse lightweight wheels
last time u said that, i shocked u with our dead even races...and i will do so again...so watch yerself bish!!!
Old 03-10-2003, 02:29 PM
Banned

Its not that its competition cause all of our cars are fast its just what mods have been done to the car. My lighweight wheel helped the best and the Ice-box is a close 2nd but my tires are not doing so well in the cold. The headers I didn't feel any real gains like the ice box but it does fell quicker to reach redline. Im thinkin resetting the Ecu cause I didn't do that yet. I finished putting on the headers and like midnight I went home and I met Scooter at like 3 and raced at around that time maybe the car didn't have enough time to Map the ECu to an aggresive drivng pattern all of these is trial an error.

Now when me and Scooter ran my trunk had junk in it making everything speculative. Now my trunk is empty so lets just make it confirmed and eye witness. I know my car feels quick but maybe too quick for the limited traction that Im getting. I remember a suped-up Civic beat a Corvette becasue the Corvette was peeling tires the whole time. So lets just do it again Rondog bring Bigman and Im racing Scooter tonight at 8 o'clock that if Scooter is not
Old 03-10-2003, 02:33 PM
'Cooter

o please
Old 03-10-2003, 02:36 PM
Banned

o please
All in good fun Scooter you know that.... if you want will just wait for E-town it doesn't matter to me.....nice competitive runs and I had a blast

Quick Reply: Lou vs. Scooter...CT IceBox vs. X