Lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002 | 03:37 PM
vtec junky

Lots of questions

I am looking into getting AEM power pulleys....I went to a Speed Merchant today, and they said it would be 161 for three pulleys, including the crank pulley. I read in another thread that the AEM system doesn't include the crank. Anyway, the guy there said I could just find out the weight for the harmonic damper and install it on the AEM pulley. True? if so, whats the weight on our current damper?

ALso, I have seen pretty looking aftermarket fans for sale and I was wondering if there is any benefit to upgrading our current fans? Or if we can?

I am considering buying a shop manual for my 2001 CL-S, which should I get and who do I call for that?
Old 09-13-2002 | 03:50 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

crack pulley? maybe you mean crank... crack=something to smoke... crank=a pulley...
Old 09-13-2002 | 04:10 PM
Banned

first of all, AEM doesnt make a crankshaft pulley...only Unorthodox Racing makes that...second of all, the Unorthodox set is like 300 bucks for all 3 pullies, the AEM pullies add maybe 2 HP if you are lucky...the Unorthodox add about 10 HP....the whole issue with the balancer is still up in the air....some people seem to think that the crankpulley will eventually cause uneven bearing wear, etc...but that has yet to be proven or tested or verified....the unorthodox crank pulley is supposed to be weight balanced so it would prevent the possible damage, but again, this has not been proven, verified, or tested....so if you want gains, you have to go with Unorthodox Racing pullies....but you are at a risk of engine damage that will surely not be covered under warrenty....otherwise just go with the AEM but they dont do much at all.
Old 09-13-2002 | 09:22 PM
Pro

Originally posted by jimcol711
first of all, AEM doesnt make a crankshaft pulley...only Unorthodox Racing makes that...second of all, the Unorthodox set is like 300 bucks for all 3 pullies, the AEM pullies add maybe 2 HP if you are lucky...the Unorthodox add about 10 HP....the whole issue with the balancer is still up in the air....some people seem to think that the crankpulley will eventually cause uneven bearing wear, etc...but that has yet to be proven or tested or verified....the unorthodox crank pulley is supposed to be weight balanced so it would prevent the possible damage, but again, this has not been proven, verified, or tested....so if you want gains, you have to go with Unorthodox Racing pullies....but you are at a risk of engine damage that will surely not be covered under warrenty....otherwise just go with the AEM but they dont do much at all.
My only fear is the harmonic damper is there to take vibrations off the crankshaft. My understanding is without the damper, the crank can crack over time and break.

My friend has a F-body (T/A), and on their forums somebody over-tightened the supercharger belt (since it was slipping), and the crank broke in two! YIKES! :o :o