Lost to a Camaro SS......

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 12:10 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys, don't feel so hurt about getting smoked by Camaros and Trans Ams. Sure you can bust a small hole in the atmosphere with a car like that but look how shitty their value is. It's because those cars don't hold up. They're 100% plastic. They rattle like hell, suck at gas mileage, you'll definately lose the nose or the lip after one too many bumps against the curb, and they're the easiest cars to break into.

Damn, Back when I was searching for a new car I test drove a 97 Trans Am with a 6 speed. The power was great but the car squeaked and rattled like it was an 86 pontiac Grand Am. The interior sucked ass and the instrument panel looked like some cheap ass video game console from a 70's arcade. I drove a Camaro SS and it was the same garbage, the instrument panel looked like they ripped it out of an 84, and the interior was garbage. Those cars do not hold up in value or otherwise as long as well built foreign cars do. I had a choice--I could have gone with American muscle but I went with the Acura for better comfort, better design, better gas mileage, and longevity.

Look around you: Toyota has totally coped the 2.2CL body and now Nissan has coped the CL tailight design with their 350Z and the Maxima. I've had my 2.2 for years and many people think the car is brand new. You get a Camaro or a Trans Am and you know that shit will be outdated in about a year or two because they can't make up their damn minds what kind of style they want to stick with. You can get that same 97 Trans Am now for about $5000 whereas I've seen a 2.2CL go for $7800 and up.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:47 AM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
You can say American Muscle will own imports all day long...On a straight line. But when it comes to twisties...

Old 09-21-2005, 12:43 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mystikk
You can say American Muscle will own imports all day long...On a straight line. But when it comes to twisties...

Dude, that's a naive comment. Some of the best handling cars are mustangs, camaros, and other american muscle cars. It all depends on how you wanna mod your car - some choose 1/4 mile racing, others choose autocross. To each their own!
Old 09-21-2005, 01:19 PM
What to do, what to think

Originally Posted by USURPER
Guys, don't feel so hurt about getting smoked by Camaros and Trans Ams. Sure you can bust a small hole in the atmosphere with a car like that but look how shitty their value is. It's because those cars don't hold up. They're 100% plastic. They rattle like hell, suck at gas mileage, you'll definately lose the nose or the lip after one too many bumps against the curb, and they're the easiest cars to break into.

Damn, Back when I was searching for a new car I test drove a 97 Trans Am with a 6 speed. The power was great but the car squeaked and rattled like it was an 86 pontiac Grand Am. The interior sucked ass and the instrument panel looked like some cheap ass video game console from a 70's arcade. I drove a Camaro SS and it was the same garbage, the instrument panel looked like they ripped it out of an 84, and the interior was garbage. Those cars do not hold up in value or otherwise as long as well built foreign cars do. I had a choice--I could have gone with American muscle but I went with the Acura for better comfort, better design, better gas mileage, and longevity.

Look around you: Toyota has totally coped the 2.2CL body and now Nissan has coped the CL tailight design with their 350Z and the Maxima. I've had my 2.2 for years and many people think the car is brand new. You get a Camaro or a Trans Am and you know that shit will be outdated in about a year or two because they can't make up their damn minds what kind of style they want to stick with. You can get that same 97 Trans Am now for about $5000 whereas I've seen a 2.2CL go for $7800 and up.

I agree......
Old 09-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Parting out 02 Type S :(

one thing we always have over those cars is better MPG. it sounds like there is no reasoning with the individual who made those comments. in the end, that run probably cost him more gas than it did you, and you went home in comfort. next time, dont run it if you know the competitor is much faster unless its a really nice car such as an AMG. if i wasnt SCed, i personally wouldnt bother with most american v8 muscle cars, we all know its fast but doesnt offer much else. i wouldnt mind getting walked by a CTSV, thats a nice american muscle car with comfort!
Old 09-29-2005, 01:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by LCARUCA 97
well at least your car isnt ugly as piss. all camaros should come with a flip down mullet primper and gas scented air fresheners....

I sold my '03 6 spd CL for an '01 sunset orange metallic Camaro 6 spd. I absolutely LOVE the look of it, I get compliments from people of ALL ages left-n-right. I had a Comptech blower for the CL, but decided to go against the idea and sold it. Even with the blower, the SS would be kicking dust in its face. They're two different machines, and I love both cars for doing what they do best.

The one thing I've noticed since I've joined this board is every time someone posts about a race with a Mustang/Camaro, that ignorant "hillbilly" or "mullet" comment is brought up by a few select members who have no decent contribution to the thread.

I've owned plenty of different cars/trucks of all different styles/classes...if you want to make those remarks, do it here so I can throw them back in your face.

*Rant Off*

power3dfx, You'd be shocked by how good the gas mileage on an LS1 could be....esp. on the 'Vettes due to being a bit lighter.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:39 AM
Racer

Lol!...

Originally Posted by mystikk

PLEASE don't be the atypical ricer and bring up the "twisties"! Do you seriously think that the FWD Acura-CL Type S, with its front-heavy, torque steering, no traction, light ass really is the "demi-god of twisties"?

I have news for you, and I know this might be a bit hard to believe, but a Camaro and Mustang will probably murder you in the twisties... and it will be a lot easier for them to mod their cars to outhandle you then it will be for you to outhandle them! If you drove an ITR, or some other decently handling import (STi, regular WRX, Evo, etc...) it would be a different story, but even then, a modded Mustang/Camaro can definitely hang at the track.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:00 AM
Racer

rofl...

Originally Posted by power3dfx
one thing we always have over those cars is better MPG. it sounds like there is no reasoning with the individual who made those comments. in the end, that run probably cost him more gas than it did you, and you went home in comfort. next time, dont run it if you know the competitor is much faster unless its a really nice car such as an AMG. if i wasnt SCed, i personally wouldnt bother with most american v8 muscle cars, we all know its fast but doesnt offer much else. i wouldnt mind getting walked by a CTSV, thats a nice american muscle car with comfort!
Come on! Don't bring up MPG when we're talking about RACING! This is just sadder and sadder! So the next time you run, are you gonna look over at the other car and say, "but my resale value is higher than yours, and I get better MPG?" You might as well advise your kids to tell the school bully, but "my pocket protector keeps my shirt from getting soiled by my pens!" You'll get about the same response.

Don't get it twisted, Hondas are pretty snappy rides, and I dig the new TL (probably my next car). My '93 Integra was pretty cool when it was new, and I riced it out nicely. That being said, it wasn't fast, just like the CL-S (this might be a shock... hold on to your chairs) also isn't fast! It's meant to be a peppy car that is reasonably luxurious... and in this aspect it succeeds quite well.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
a reality check!
Old 10-04-2005, 01:12 PM
Racer

Man, threads really get beat to death on this site.

Let's move along.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:31 PM
What to do, what to think

Originally Posted by fiveoh-tl
Man, threads really get beat to death on this site.

Let's move along.

exactly......
Old 06-05-2006, 11:23 PM
6th Gear

3rd Gen Camaro's ran high to low 14's stock. 4th Gen Camaro's run mid 13's to high 12's stock. And I am talking right of the show room or right from the dealer. No mods period.