Looking at the Pilot, anybody got one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 05:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Looking at the Pilot, anybody got one?

I am trading in a 1999 323i sedan and gonna get a Honda Pilot with navi, fully loaded for $32,000. does anybody have any news about that vehicle, good or bad? it's for the fam, so I was looking at it for the 3rd row and 4 wheel drive. leather and navi are desireable so i thought that it would be a good value. wish i could find on with a few miles already so I can get a better deal.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:19 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Come on you know you want to splurge and get a loaded MDX instead. It's got the 3rd row seat too.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I drove one, very smooth. Alot of great reviews in the car mags. REALLY holds its value too...I was looking for a used one as a beater, a bit out of my price range for a 2nd car.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:26 PM
Six Speeds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife was going to get one before I got my CLS. I hate the styling, but it does drive really nice. For me, if it's any distance away, it still looks like a CRV. Anyway, the only reason we didn't get one (this was 9/02 by the way) is because I read alot of posts on Honda sites that many people were having a bunch of electrical problems. Being that it had just come out, I didn't want to be dealing with a 1st year vehicle. Next year my wife will be getting something similar, but she now wants an MDX. Personally, if the body styling changed on the Pilot, I think it's a much better deal.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Chaptorial
Come on you know you want to splurge and get a loaded MDX instead. It's got the 3rd row seat too.
yeah, an MDX would be great, but a used 2002 without navi and 36k miles cost $3,000 more than a 2004 pilot with navi and everything.
Old 04-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

I have two of them.

I am not current on this one yet....

http://public.fotki.com/BBrillhart/k...r-1/plane.html
Old 04-12-2004, 05:34 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We looked at the Pilot when we were shopping for our mini-SUV (the Subaru Forester XT). Nice SUV, but my wife thought it was too big...

Loaded, I thought it was a bit pricey for a Honda, and would rather step up to the Acura MDX for that price realm. I did like it though and I saw good reviews on http://www.hondasuv.com when I was mini-SUV shopping.

Be sure to look at the Toyota Highlander/Lexus RX300/RX330 if you're looking at the Pilot. Most people that I know that comparison shopped for this size/class of SUV ultimately went for the Toyota.

I've heard that there are some RX300 deals to be had, if you can still find one on the lot. I think Scalbert here got one when the RX330 came out. This might be something to consider too.
Old 04-12-2004, 06:30 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
My neighbor has one. Treats it like a Ferarri. Never sees rain. Hardly driven. He's retarded.

Anyhoo... I've driven it actually. Was nice. I didn't find it drove as well as my Dad's MDX. But it was still a nice feeling ride.

It's pricey, as Slimey said... It's not a bad choice, but I'd look at the others too... Murano, Highlander... Both good SUVs.
Old 04-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Pit Stop?

Originally posted by Scrib
My neighbor has one. Treats it like a Ferarri. Never sees rain. Hardly driven. He's retarded.

I like the Pilot. My friend's grandmother got one, fully loaded. It was nice, but I personally wouldn't pay that much for the Pilot. Just me.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:55 PM
Former Sponsor

so basically I need 3 rows, navi option, 4wd, or awd and a quality vehicle with decent fit and finish. at around 30k, it's thosands cheaper than all the other vehicles, like the MDX, RX330 and Highlander(no 3 row).
Old 04-14-2004, 03:27 AM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally posted by rondog
so basically I need 3 rows, navi option, 4wd, or awd and a quality vehicle with decent fit and finish. at around 30k, it's thosands cheaper than all the other vehicles, like the MDX, RX330 and Highlander(no 3 row).
Highlanders come with a 3rd row option now:

Not sure of the price though. I'm betting mid to high 30's. . .
Old 04-14-2004, 05:15 PM
Casual Observer

Hi there. I haven't posted in a long time but I just got a Pilot for the family a few months ago.

I aboslutely love it. It feels rock solid to me and feels connected to the road, which is something SUVs usually lack. I'm sure its no Cayenne, but I absolutely love the car. I also spend a lot of time in an MDX and while the MDX is way pimp inside, the Pilot feels a lot bigger and a lot more usable.

I travel with one wife, one little dude in a carseat, and two dogs in the back so it seems like the Pilot has a compartment for everybody. While I have not yet used the third row seat, it was a definite factor in our purchasing decision.

At the time we were buying, it was either the Pilot, the Highlander, or the 4Runner. I liked the 4Runner ride least and the interior controls were just plain retarded. I liked the Highlander ride quite a lot, but my wife said it drove like a minivan. The Pilot is what we settled on, and we got it loaded w/ Nav and leather for $32K.

I'd say, hit it. I don't think you will have regrets.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by dhlesq
Hi there. I haven't posted in a long time but I just got a Pilot for the family a few months ago.

I aboslutely love it. It feels rock solid to me and feels connected to the road, which is something SUVs usually lack. I'm sure its no Cayenne, but I absolutely love the car. I also spend a lot of time in an MDX and while the MDX is way pimp inside, the Pilot feels a lot bigger and a lot more usable.

I travel with one wife, one little dude in a carseat, and two dogs in the back so it seems like the Pilot has a compartment for everybody. While I have not yet used the third row seat, it was a definite factor in our purchasing decision.

At the time we were buying, it was either the Pilot, the Highlander, or the 4Runner. I liked the 4Runner ride least and the interior controls were just plain retarded. I liked the Highlander ride quite a lot, but my wife said it drove like a minivan. The Pilot is what we settled on, and we got it loaded w/ Nav and leather for $32K.

I'd say, hit it. I don't think you will have regrets.
Just what I needed, I am in your situation, but without the dogs. I want to have more kids, hence the 3rd row for adults who want to jump in with the kids. I got quoted at $32 and change for the Pilot with navi. I want to get it down to $30, or even $31. Possible?
Old 04-14-2004, 07:04 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
"I travel with one wife"
the others must stay at home! jk
good luck, I hate big SUVs, at least these are more moderate.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:00 PM
1/4 14.4 at 95

im a honda new car sales man.. in most dealerships in all honesty u wont get a pilot for under sticker, maybe 200 off sticker thats about it.. anyone who has ever baught one off of me has nothing but good things to say about them.. its a great truck and does hold its value. and i must say not slow for a 4500 pound truck..
Old 04-14-2004, 10:07 PM
Racer

Consider a new Toyo 4Runner! My wife wants a Pilot and I'm attempting to steer her towards the Toyo.

Best I can tell, the only way to get V8, leather and navi is with the top of the line Limited, which is ~$40K. If you can live without the leather and navi, the price of entry with V8 is just barely over $30K. V8 puts out 235 hp versus 245 in V6 trim, but torque climbs to 325 ft lbs. I like torque! Looks better and the 4WD might be more robust given Toyo's off-road history, IMHO.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:30 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I have a 2003 MDX Touring Navi/RES Black/Ebony. Hands down to the MDX. Pilot nice, but not nearly as nice as the MDX. I bought mine for 41500K, 8 months later with 8,500 miles its worth 41K......go figure
BTW: MDX has 3 rows of seats for 7 passengers

I suggest you go to the MDX forum and read up ! Used ones with 35,000 miles are getting 34,000K.......Great investment....

Yeah mine too sits in the garage in MINT ZAINO CALIFORNIA condition that's NEVER see a dirt road, infact I'd never used the VTM-4 system....
Old 04-14-2004, 10:40 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ga2000
im a honda new car sales man.. in most dealerships in all honesty u wont get a pilot for under sticker, maybe 200 off sticker thats about it.. anyone who has ever baught one off of me has nothing but good things to say about them.. its a great truck and does hold its value. and i must say not slow for a 4500 pound truck..

Im in Honda sales too, and if you can make it out to Ohio i can get you one for $500 over invoice :P
Old 04-14-2004, 11:20 PM
Former Sponsor

I am looking at the MDX as well, and I just got back from the autoshow in NY, and I must say the MDX is such a nicer car. I hate how you can't just get the navi, you have to buy the touring package which is useless to me. I'm just gonn keep searching for a Pilot or an MDX with 10k or less to save a few bucks. jts1207. wanna send that pilot over to NY? pm me to see if you can get one with navi.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:58 PM
Pro

But, don't the MDX and Pilot both come with Honda's infamous 5AT? That's the reason why we didn't even consider them when we bought our SUV (Highlander Ltd., navi, DVD, 3rd row).
Old 04-15-2004, 12:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by SC TL
But, don't the MDX and Pilot both come with Honda's infamous 5AT? That's the reason why we didn't even consider them when we bought our SUV (Highlander Ltd., navi, DVD, 3rd row).
true, but i am already married to Honda Acura since i'm doing RonJon Wheels, and also, i am confident they will resolve this issues with warranty. My Cl had tranny problems once, but it is secure with the warranty and it is doing well now. Plus it's a family car and I won't be driving it nearly as spirited as my Cl-S. and I also love the direction acura is taking their line up. I plan on getting the new Rl when it comes out with the AWD and all. just seen it at the auto show along with all the other vehicles. Must say, acura really is the best company out there right now, to me. Loyalty has it's rewards.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:15 AM
1-2-3-4-5-6-speeeeeed!!!!

true, but i am already married to Honda Acura since i'm doing RonJon Wheels, and also, i am confident they will resolve this issues with warranty. My Cl had tranny problems once, but it is secure with the warranty and it is doing well now. Plus it's a family car and I won't be driving it nearly as spirited as my Cl-S. and I also love the direction acura is taking their line up. I plan on getting the new Rl when it comes out with the AWD and all. just seen it at the auto show along with all the other vehicles. Must say, acura really is the best company out there right now, to me. Loyalty has it's rewards.

Same here Rondy, just picked up a 91 Integra GS as my beater, had to stick with Acura/Honda! For reliability, there really is no other!! Also stick with the piolt!! (or Oddyessy)
Old 04-15-2004, 07:38 AM
Drifting

The Odyssey will dance circles around the MDX and Pilot.

So if you don't need the ground clearance and towing capacity, get the Odyssey.

If you need AWD, get the Sienna.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:01 AM
DP's for life

When buying a new car for the wife we looked at and priced the Honda Pilot, Highlander, and the Nissan Murano.

For the money the Nissan Murano was alot nicer IMO then the pilot and the highlander. We drover each car at least three times and we found that the Murano was the SUV for us. I love driving her SUV and had to make the same decision again I would choose the Murano. BTW I paid 29k for the murano w/out Navi...so with Navi it would be about 31K, probably worth looking at.

Good luck...
Old 04-15-2004, 10:21 AM
Former Sponsor

I was looking at the sienna, but the toyota dealer wanted me to order one without a test drive. I was shocked and told them to call me when i can test drive one. it does look attractive with the AWD but the pilot comes out as a better deal since i don't need all the extras that come with the Sienna. the Murano is a nice car but it is so small on the interior, I need 3 rows also.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Casual Observer

Just what I needed, I am in your situation, but without the dogs. I want to have more kids, hence the 3rd row for adults who want to jump in with the kids. I got quoted at $32 and change for the Pilot with navi. I want to get it down to $30, or even $31. Possible?
I can't say for sure as things may have changed in the last few months with demand. What I can say is that I live in LA, San Fernando Valley, and I shopped every dealer in a 200 mile radius and eventually purchased down in San Diego because that was the only place I could get it for $32. That was when there seemed to be huge demand for them though so your mileage may vary.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Casual Observer

Originally posted by ga2000
and i must say not slow for a 4500 pound truck..
I can vouch for that. The car does seem to have some good pickup.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:13 AM
Drifting

i test drove the murano when i was in the market for a truck.. i also drove the FX35 and the lincoln aviator. i eventually settled on an expedition. it came down to room, im a big guy (6'2..300lbs.) and the room in the expedition was unbeatable. I liked the murano alot. the only thing i didnt like was the dash. Its freakin huge. the space between the wheel and the windshield seemed crazy. hot little truck tho, id pimp one of them over a pilot ANYDAY... although i never drove a pilot, i just never liked the styling
Old 04-16-2004, 12:47 AM
Former Sponsor

yeah, the pilot isn't exactly a looker, but it's got content. my cousin has an FX35, manb that thing shouldn't even be considered an SUV, it's like a friggin sport wagon. very cramped in the rear, but looks awsome, more like a single guy car. my whole purpose is for the fam with this car.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:42 AM
Drifting

i hear that.... did you try maybe lookin at a toureg? i know they can get a bit pricey on the V8 model but if you stick with a 6 it shouldnt be to bad. they are decent lookin trucks...not sure if they offer 3rd row seating. could also check out a trailblazer, mercury mountineer , jeep cherokee, nissan pathfinder, infiniti qx4... goodluck bro
Old 04-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Toureg is too small. MDX is large in side. Great gas mileage for a 4500 lb SUV. Superb engine etc...I'd wait for the newly designed MDX due out next year ! It should ROCK
Old 04-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

I'll add my penny in since my brother owns a fully loaded MDX and 2 of my sisters own fully loaded Pilots.

I've driven both (though the MDX much more) and they both ride really well for SUVS.

The MDX is much much better looking inside and out then the Pilot imo... the Pilot is the most unappealing and boring SUV from the outside and the interior is just IMO.

As far the stuff that really counts, i.e. ride, luxury, feels, reliability etc etc.. they are both FANTASTIC. Basically, if u had ur eyes closed, u wouldnt be able to tell the different from the 2... its only in the looks department where they one stands out then the other.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:09 PM
Former Sponsor

and the price, which is what I'm stuck on. I can't justify $10k for a little more luxury in the MDX. I'm a "most for my dollar" type of guy when it comes to buying my wife a car, she doesn't work and i support the fam, so why not save a little?
Old 07-31-2004, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rondog
and the price, which is what I'm stuck on. I can't justify $10k for a little more luxury in the MDX. I'm a "most for my dollar" type of guy when it comes to buying my wife a car, she doesn't work and i support the fam, so why not save a little?
Oh you like to make smart money decisions huh? So I take it your NOT looking at ANYTHING domestic? Get the honda like you said its a better investment. It got rated 8/8 seating unlike the toyotas 5/8 seating it has a better ride as it is a car based SUV rather than a truck-toyota. And even though its smaller then a 4 runner it has more room on the inside! GO figure. I havent seen anyone unhappy with a pilot. Put running boards and fogs on it and it really helps with the appearance...they do look somewhat plain. Thats really the only complaint with any merit to it