Look What happened to my Car (long Story) DEFECTIVE REAR WINDOW???

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 10:26 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look What happened to my Car (long Story) DEFECTIVE REAR WINDOW???

So what kind of quality is Acura putting in our windows??? Today in San Francisco, we are having a heatwave was about maybe 85 degrees at lunch (about 12:00 p.m.). Car was parked since about 7:30 a.m. windows rolled up. When one of my wifes freinds says you better look at yor car. She goes to where the car is parked and the rear glass is shattered. Her friend was about to go to lunch when she saw the glass just crack and shatter. WTF??? Is this Acura Quality?? It was not that hot for the glass to be breaking at around 12:00 p.m.

So I call my Acura Dealer (Acura of Serramonte..for those bay area people) and speak to the service Manager, his name is Eric Raul. I tell him the situation of what happened and I asked him if he knew of any TSB's, recalls for the rear window. I told him this is a safety isssue.. I have a 8 old month baby he sits in the back seat and if she were to be in the back the window would have shattered all over her. I told him I need to find out what Acura is going to do with this case. I told him he was welcome to inspect the car as well.

He then told me that he would check it out and he said he would get me an estimate for the window as well. So I figured what the heck I have nothing to lose..... Well about 15 mins later he calls me and tells me he spoke to the Factory Rep and the Rep told him to replace my window for FREE they also told me they would give me a loaner... He had to walk into a meeting so I didn't get to talk to him that much, he tld me he would answer any questions, when I pickup the car.

So my questions are what is happening to our rear windows (A factory defect??)

Why were they so fast to help me in changing the window?

Has any of you had this problem??

He car is at the dealer right now waiting for the window to get fixed. Scarry to know that if you had a rear passenger they would probably ended up in the hospital.

Sorry for the long post, but I would like any feedback from any of you??

I will try to post pictures of the Window.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:31 PM
Racer

Picture #2

Picture #2
Old 07-09-2002, 10:34 PM
Racer

Last Picture #3
Old 07-09-2002, 10:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You call 85 degrees at noon a heatwave, what a joke! You may want to try 98 to 106 in Laredo, TX from May through September. I know is sad to have the window brake like this, but I have had my car for about 14 months in the TX heat and no problems. This could be due to improper install or poor sealing causing play at the seat joint. I believe that Acura is doing the right thing for you.
Old 07-09-2002, 10:42 PM
Racer

Yeah..I am glad that Acura is taking care of it.. I mean this is the factory window (Untouched, No tint) I thought the windows can take more stress than this.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you sure there were no nicks or any chips at all on the window? This could have caused the window to shatter like that....it's happened to my mom's van. Good thing that you are getting it replaced though!!
Old 07-09-2002, 11:16 PM
Racer

To My knowledge there were no chips or cracks on the window..I just washed my car on Saturday, and I always inspect my car every time I wash it (any dings, chips on the paint, etc..) no nicks or chips to the naked eye.. Then again I were contacts

But seriously.. the window appeared to be in excellent condition.
Old 07-09-2002, 11:30 PM
Suzuka Master

u sure no one threw like a spark plug or hit it w/ a bat?
Old 07-09-2002, 11:41 PM
Racer

NOVAwhiteTypeS: I am sure no one threw anything to it because my wifes friend who is my daughters godmother saw it happen infront of her as she was going to lunch..she was parked behind my car.

The other thing is why is Acura willing to replace the window so fast? Why is Acura being nice about it???
Old 07-09-2002, 11:54 PM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
dood, it was 104 degrees in walnut creek today!
Old 07-10-2002, 12:13 AM
Racer

So, lets see, if they give you a hard time dealing with your rear windshield, you would probably come here and shit about how horrible their services are and how this should be replaced no question asked. Since this is a major safety hazard.. blah blah blah..

Well, when acura take into immediate reaction towards this, and you suspect that they knew this defect and not doing any recalls. I do'nt know, must suck to be car makers these days.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:20 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Yo man...same thing happened to my friend...he's got a teg and it was a hot day and he turned on the AC and his window shattered...the cops told him that when the cold air made contact with the window it caused it to break...

CL'S
Old 07-10-2002, 12:30 AM
Racer

Skyline: I am very happy to see that my dealer is taking care of it. I just hear everyones horror stories on this board about how bad acura service is (in most cases) so in this case it just "raised my eyebrow" that they were so willing to help.

I mean if that was there intent, then all "props" to them for taking care of things the correct way, and helping me out in this situation.

I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this situation, any sugestions to why this could have happen to the rear windshield, and maybe there might be a notice that we don't know about that Acura takes on a one-by-one basis. For example they don't admit to our Tranny problems and they also only take a one-by-one basis for the Actuator problem. Acura can at least let us know that there might be a problem than can develop in our cars.

In any event I am very happy that I am getting a new rear window put in free by Acura.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

I never heard of a window (Acura or not) breaking because of the heat. Anyways, its a good thing the dealer is fixing it. I heard the rear windshield is pretty expensive.
Old 07-10-2002, 04:45 AM
Blue Devil

It Happens

There probably isn't anything more to it then that.

I've seen some pretty cool stuff happen with glass from working on jobs with my dad. He own's his own consulting company that works with quite a few major glass manufactures designing the HVAC systems for their factories and plants.

I've seen a perfectly good winshield blow up on a lady when she turned on her defrost. I've picked up a glasses before and had them shatter in my hand. I've even shatted wine glasses with sound (very cool science project years ago). Glass is not perfect, changes in environment affect it greatly. Yes autoglass and window glass is suppose to be less seceptable(sp?) to it but sometimes bad batches get made and stuff slips by.

Though this does make a good case for tinting since it would help hold the window together instead of shattering into little pieces everywhere
Old 07-10-2002, 07:34 AM
Instructor

It is funny you bring this up...this happened to my friend's Toyota a few weeks ago. It was about 85 or so here in Atlanta (not very hot by any stretch of the imagination). Anyways, she comes out to her car to go to lunch and her rear window has two huge bubbles on the rear window, expanding outward. She told the security guards to keep an eye on it; which they did. A few hours later, the guards saw the glass shatter. So no, this is not an Acura problem. All auto manufacturers by there glass from a glass company (usually PPG). I think it was a freak accurance and you have nothing to worry about.