Locking Gas Cap

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 02:35 AM
EVO IX MR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking Gas Cap

Does anyone know where to find a quality locking gas cap that will fit the 2nd Gen CL that will not leak or set off the warning alarm? The cover has a release, but that could be easily pried open. I'd hate to get a tank full of sugar sometime. Quality, nothing chintzy. Anybody got one. Thanks.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:07 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I've always thought that the locking gas door alone was safe enough... at least in my area.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:44 AM
?!?

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I've always thought that the locking gas door alone was safe enough... at least in my area.
arabs know how to get down if you mess with thier shit
Old 08-13-2004, 06:10 AM
EVO IX MR

Originally Posted by nokio
arabs know how to get down if you mess with thier shit
I'm not an Arab, I'm in the Army.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some thoughts...

Not aware of any...

I do have a question/comment...

If you are concerned about getting a "special load" of crud tossing in your tank, then the worst damage would be from actually running the car with the gas + sugar and or other crud in it. So, if you simply looked at your gas flap and checked to see if it had been tampered with, you could arrange to have it towed away and have the tank flushed. At this point, you're looking at:

1. A busted window, door, etc to have allowed someone to get inside to flip open the gas tank door (si or no?)

2. A bent gas cover door that will need some body work and paint to get it fixed-up.

So, if someone wants to savage your car and are not a “pro” they are going to leave some tracks that you can see.

And, if someone really wants to "mess" with you -- you might consider the following:

If you get the gas tank lock, and they still are intent on screwing with you, they could:

1. Put sand in your engine (or could put a number of other items that would be rather unpleasant.

2. Put iron filing + aluminum crumbs into your intake manifold. Or they could simply toss in a handful of nuts and bolts into your air filter box. That will do some serious damage.

3. Nothing like stuffing some dirt or other crud up your tailpipe. The banana-in-the-tailpipe is no joke; if you have something stuck in your tailpipe/muffler, your NOT going anywhere and it's not obvious what's wrong. (Take my word on this one.)

So, I'm not trying to dissuade you on your quest to find more protection for your gas tank, but only letting you know that if someone really has it in for you and your wheels, they have plenty of options and I haven't even touched on some of the more sinister ones.

Finally, you might want to consider leaving a “I have a locking gas cap” sticker on the outside of the gas door -- if and when you find your locking gas cap -- as the person doing the damage may not realize this until they have cost you some $$$ in body work damage.

YMMV
Old 08-13-2004, 07:16 AM
Suzuka Master

OK, see above and this might work

Ok, see if this will work for you:

GENERAL LINK:
http://www.autoparts-autoparts.com/partscategory1.jsp

THIS IS THE SPECIFIC LINK (TRY THIS ONE FIRST):

http://www.autoparts-autoparts.com/p...logo=autoparts

Code:
STANT    10504   [CAP-FUEL] Regular Locking Fuel Cap    0.00    13.48    

STANT    10834   [CAP-FUEL] Regular Fuel Cap    0.00    6.01
The top unit is the locking cap for a 2001 CL Type-S. The lower unit is the regular unit.

here is the "trail" I used to find the part:

YEAR 2001
MAKE ACURA
MODEL CL S
ENGINE V6 3.2L GAS FI ENG:J32A2
Old 08-13-2004, 07:19 AM
EVO IX MR

Originally Posted by EricL

I do have a question/comment...
Yes, I know there is a lot more than tampering w/ the gas that can be done. I just would like a little protection from the amateur if that was the case, and you pry the gas flap open with little or no damage, it has frozen on me once or twice in the winter.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:23 AM
EVO IX MR

Originally Posted by EricL
Ok, see if this will work for you:

GENERAL LINK:
http://www.autoparts-autoparts.com/partscategory1.jsp

THIS IS THE SPECIFIC LINK (TRY THIS ONE FIRST):

http://www.autoparts-autoparts.com/p...logo=autoparts

Code:
STANT    10504   [CAP-FUEL] Regular Locking Fuel Cap    0.00    13.48    

STANT    10834   [CAP-FUEL] Regular Fuel Cap    0.00    6.01
The top unit is the locking cap for a 2001 CL Type-S. The lower unit is the regular unit.

here is the "trail" I used to find the part:

YEAR 2001
MAKE ACURA
MODEL CL S
ENGINE V6 3.2L GAS FI ENG:J32A2
Hey thanks, that might work.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 2003type-s6
Yes, I know there is a lot more than tampering w/ the gas that can be done. I just would like a little protection from the amateur if that was the case, and you pry the gas flap open with little or no damage, it has frozen on me once or twice in the winter.
I found one, but you might want to call them to check it out.

And, previous link:

http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86702
Old 08-13-2004, 07:29 AM
EVO IX MR

I don't think the guys who know what they are doing even need to break your window to get the doors open. Slim Jim, I was watching dateline one night and they had this electronic box thing and it took a couple seconds and your electronic locks would open, just like that. If they had one of those, they could access the hood, trunk, fuel, without breaking anything. Really, if they want it bad enough they can steal it, luckily the CL isn't on hte most wanted list. But, thanks for the link.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Feeling safe and where does it end?

Originally Posted by 2003type-s6
I don't think the guys who know what they are doing even need to break your window to get the doors open. Slim Jim, I was watching dateline one night and they had this electronic box thing and it took a couple seconds and your electronic locks would open, just like that. If they had one of those, they could access the hood, trunk, fuel, without breaking anything. Really, if they want it bad enough they can steal it, luckily the CL isn't on hte most wanted list. But, thanks for the link.

Listen, most people wouldn't want to know about what good locksmiths can do and how their view of what’s "closed" and/or locked changes after a few years of "work."

BTW, they do like the HIDs on the car -- and as with anything, if someone wants to mess with you badly enough, your toast... And, a few nitwits have busted out windows to grab loose change from parked cars; I think they made off with about 90 cents.

You get what makes you "feel" safe and hope that's enough...

Otherwise you end up going with :padlock: on top of :padlock: on top of :padlock: with :padlock: and :padlock: on top of :padlock: