Lock Old Style Yakima Fairing??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lock Old Style Yakima Fairing??

I have an old style Yakima fairing that I just put on my CL (looks sweet!) and I want to know if an how some other people would suggest I go about locking it up.

The new style fairing can be locked with an accessory lock housing, however the bolts that attach it on these are like 6mm? so they're too small.
Now I could drill out a piece of the L bracket and pass larger bolts through and lock use housings that way and that will lock it to the rack.

But that doesn't solve the fact that anyone, on either model of fairing, can just unscrew the fairing from the holding brackets on the backside of the fairing itself, so has anyone ever locked those smaller bolts or would you? and how?

Thank you for taking the time to read this through and leave a response, every chime in helps a bit (unless you're a troll)!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:34 PM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Received 139 Likes on 126 Posts
Well I have the new style. I took all those ugly hand tightening "bolts" off. I put square bolts and tightened them really tight.They use like a 13/14mm wrench. So really you could take it with a cresent wrench if someone wanted to steal it. For the price the lock is i could buy a new fairing lol.
I have no help as to how to lock it though.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:58 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
honestly i haven't heard of faring thefts off roof racks.

i've had 3 different cars with 3 roof racks...never had a second thought about people messing with the faring or the rack. my only concern would be the bikes on the roof.

i understand you want to make sure it stays on your car from ass hats taking your faring...

my brother has run roof racks on 3 of his cars before and NEVER had an issue with his farings.

how about a sensitive car alarm?
Old 07-20-2012, 02:23 PM
@Mikeshlong On IG

Received 139 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
honestly i haven't heard of faring thefts off roof racks.

i've had 3 different cars with 3 roof racks...never had a second thought about people messing with the faring or the rack. my only concern would be the bikes on the roof.

i understand you want to make sure it stays on your car from ass hats taking your faring...

my brother has run roof racks on 3 of his cars before and NEVER had an issue with his farings.

how about a sensitive car alarm?

My crown victoria had a very sensitive Viper alarm. It never functioned right to be honest.

The thing is that the parts which hold on the fairing can be taken off by hand without tools in a matter of under a minute, the fairing will be no more.

Thats why I put bolts, slows down the theft process.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:24 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i'm aware of what attaches the faring...put bolts in the wing nuts place. my point was that i haven't ever heard of anyone having their faring stolen. of course i guess that depends on where you live.