lights question, sort of science related

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2001, 08:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lights question, sort of science related

ok, i know blue light is easiest to see at night, and yellow/white in the day. which is the best color for fog/rain, etc. thanks

------------------
Coming soon: 2001 CL Type-S
Right now: 92 Integra

Help me convince my parents to cosign the loan!
Old 03-03-2001, 08:32 PM
Learn to swim.

I'm just guessing, but I would imagine a lower wavelength/energy--towards the red end of the spectrum.
Old 03-04-2001, 05:40 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
here is something for you to think about.Natural sunlight is what Human eyes respond to best.Hence your car's are equipped with xenon lighting which is the closest you are going to get to sunlight in a street legal lighting package.Blue light does produce a startling light however it is not as bright as it seems.Light colored objects reflect blue light easily and hence your eyes are tricked into thinking that the blue light is brighter.However the minute you add any sort of moisture be it fog rain etc.you will notice that blue light also scatters very easily and if the light is scattered before it reflects back to your eyes you will see less.Yellow and red are longwavelength and are also difficult for your eyes to work because Human eyes see objects best when they are illuminated by a full spectrum of light.As an experiment take a flash light and some colored filters and try illuminating objects with different colors of light.You will notice that your eyes see the most when you use the full spectrum of light not a specific color.granted yellow foglights are less likely to produce annoying glare and because they have long frequency light are less likely to scatter but other than that there is no good reason to use something other than clear lighting.jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA headlamp system tinted custom taillites and on and on
Old 03-05-2001, 02:24 AM
Racer

One more thing to add...

Ever notice at night time when looking at a store front that has letters lit up in blue that it's hard to focus on the letters? There appears to be a haze or blur around the letters. This is because of the scattering of the blue light mentioned by Jens. This is also why those cool blue replacement bulbs are a bad idea.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S - San Marino Red / Parchment
non-nav - wheel locks - splash guards - PIAA 19169s