Light Tail Light Tint's & Old School Shine

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Light Tail Light Tint's & Old School Shine

Got the c-c-c tail light tints installed. I like them. Very subtle. They look a lot darker from an angle or at night but not so dark as to make them darker than the Anthracite. Sorry I need a lot of practice as a photogragher.

Here is a shot of the fresh shine. Meguiars #3 and #7 with a rotary buffer with a foam pad. Then #7 by hand and 2 coats of Mothers Pure Carnuba (non-cleaner) wax. Produces a very deep shine. I know Zanio is the condiment of choice here but I like using the old-fashioned polishes that feed the paint. I also like using the buffer with a foam pad to remove any tiny cob-web scratches.

Old 06-08-2004, 08:12 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks nice. I've been contemplating those tints, but am concerned it'd make my car fodder for a bored police officer.

How did you get the Acura logo on your SSR center caps?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:18 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by Slimey
Looks nice. I've been contemplating those tints, but am concerned it'd make my car fodder for a bored police officer.
Yeah me too. That's why I got the lighter colored ones. They are very subtle compared to the dark ones.

How did you get the Acura logo on your SSR center caps?
I have a friend that has a metal lathe at work and lot's of different materials. I took a big chunk of ABS plastic and machined it to fit into the SSR wheel and accept the Acura cap. I like them better than the giant soup-can caps SSR gives you for caps.
Old 06-08-2004, 08:21 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by ChadT
I have a friend that has a metal lathe at work and lot's of different materials. I took a big chunk of ABS plastic and machined it to fit into the SSR wheel and accept the Acura cap. I like them better than the giant soup-can caps SSR gives you for caps.
Damn! I thought you were going to give me an easy answer!
Old 06-08-2004, 08:23 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
There should be no problem with tinted tailights in the upper portion. I have a VW with the whole rear smoked, 2+ years, no problems, not to mention, it is California, cops love giving tickets for everything. Stock, MKIII jettas, MB, and a few others had tinited lights from the factory. What gets the attention of police officers is the lack of reflective, red lighting, the lower half covers that part.

EDIT: Chad, how easy was the install?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:34 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by NiteQwill
EDIT: Chad, how easy was the install?

Piece of cake. The kit is basically two good sized pieces of tint. I let the car and the tints sit in the sun for a while then stuck them over the top of the tail light. I started towards the trunk and stretched them around towards the fender. The tint they give you is very flexible. Pretty much like a vinyl grapgic only clear. I didn't use any soap or anything underneath and it was fairly easy to get them to wrap around without any bubbles. Once you get them wrapped on the light you just trim with a sharp (new) razor blade. One thing I learned on the second one I did though is to cut the tint larger than the tail light and just wrap it around the edge. They come with simple instructions that are all you really need. I really like the lighter ones. The contrast of the white tail light against the Antracite was just a bit too much for me. THe light tints get rid of that without being too drastic.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:34 PM
Intermediate

That looks hot!, where can i get that tint??
Old 06-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally Posted by shakademus
That looks hot!, where can i get that tint??
http://www.c-c-c.net/CustomCarCreati...Page/index.htm

Go to CL>Exterior>Miscellaneous>CCC Tail Light Tints

Supporting this vendor supports a member of these forums too!
Old 06-08-2004, 09:56 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good.

Might look into getting those tints as well.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:55 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Chad I wish you were in my town and wanted a spoiler. I'm looking to trade +$ trunklids, I don't want the spoiler I have. I see you debadged some too.
I put the darker tint on my anthracite. I found the tint not at all as stretchable as I would have liked, and it was impossible to lay down perfectly and I'm pretty good usually with this stuff. Maybe I should have heated it up more.
I also did the roadlamps I added to my 03. And the darker tint has a brown cast to it. Overall it looks good tho. It matches the anthracite, and actually makes the rear more horizontal, hard to describe. The tint blends in with the paint and you see more just the red horizontal tails at night and in shade. I like the effect.
CCC told me that, about 90% or more get the darker tint. Police should have no problem, all you are covering up is a white lens.

Old 06-08-2004, 11:00 PM
BC
nearsighted visionary

I use the zaino, but I can appreciate your shine! Nowgocleanthegarage.
Old 06-08-2004, 11:06 PM
DC Cruiser

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Chad, looks nice! Do you have a pic from the back showing both tails?? Did the tint look/feel like window tint? I have some extra film laying around and may give it a shot, hmm...
Old 06-09-2004, 05:45 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by greyjhu
Chad, looks nice! Do you have a pic from the back showing both tails?? Did the tint look/feel like window tint? I have some extra film laying around and may give it a shot, hmm...
Regular window tint won't work. It's not nearly flexible enough. I tried it.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:44 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
nice tailights, they look good with anthracite
Old 06-09-2004, 02:44 PM
FWD tuna boat

i have an 02 and was thinking of tinting the whole tail light...kinda like the C-class benz and GTIs. anyone done this?