Level Ten transmission upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004 | 04:34 PM
M to da DZ

Level Ten transmission upgrade?

This is a purely curious question. Has anyone here ever attempted or successfully completed a level 10 transmission upgrade on their CL or CLS? I'm wondering if it's any good. I'm not gonna buy one because I'm still well within warranty, just wondering how they perform and if they're in fact "bulletproof"
Old 06-17-2004 | 06:10 PM
Team Owner

I checked out www.levelten.com.

Do they simply sell parts that you replace in your tranny to enhance your stock tranny? or do they actually make fully built trannies?
Old 06-17-2004 | 06:28 PM
Kenpachi Teichou

From http://www.geocities.com/gamesmgr/chod/acura/#Driving15

"One of the few transmission upgrades you can get is done by level ten. The full transmission upgrade is roughly $2500. Note that level 10 is being investigated for fraud charges concerning their 'upgrades'. "

That page was last updated in January of 2002 so who knows if Level 10 is better now.

BTW. All of the information on that page was gathered from this site.
Old 06-17-2004 | 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't know of any Acura member that got rebuilt/modified tranny from Level 10.

To the best of my knowledge, and I've been doing this from the early days of Acura-cl.com, I don't know of any member that got the "full tranny" job.

There were some folks that got the updated torque converter (basically a modified Acura converter altered for higher stall speed).

At least one of the "modified" torque converters was DOA. I received this information from Syncivic. He was responsible for the 3.5 liter “kit” that came out of Florida. I believe that they gave him a new one, but I'm not too sure about quality control. He wasn’t too thrilled about shop time required to put in the “fixed” one.

As mentioned, there were some problems (complaints) reported on one of the car forums (not on this site). I tried lookup more details about 2 months ago, and I came up with no juicy details.
Old 06-17-2004 | 07:33 PM
Race Director

Velocity Resources also offers upgraded trannys.

www.velocityresources.com
Old 06-17-2004 | 07:57 PM
M to da DZ

I woulda figured with how many have had transmission issues that at least someone would have tried a level ten transmission. Oh well, the only issue I see with mine is when I let up off the gas I kinda feel a shudder but that acura cl faq says that's normal. My shifting is fine.

It seems like that level ten transmission is cheaper than an acura oem transmission out of warranty. maybe more people will consider that option when we all start going out of warranty.
Old 06-17-2004 | 08:05 PM
Liquid Ice

Originally Posted by mattdaddyz
I woulda figured with how many have had transmission issues that at least someone would have tried a level ten transmission. Oh well, the only issue I see with mine is when I let up off the gas I kinda feel a shudder but that acura cl faq says that's normal. My shifting is fine.

It seems like that level ten transmission is cheaper than an acura oem transmission out of warranty. maybe more people will consider that option when we all start going out of warranty.
With all the problems people have had with Level 10 with the fraud charges ... I'd go with Velocity Resources or Dr. Evil (http://www.dreviltransmissions.com/) before I went with Level 10. Dr. Evil made custom rebuilt trannies for the Av6's on www.v6performance.net ... You can probably get them to make one for our cars too. VR is also a good company... If you remember back far enough Dean (who worked for VR) used to sell a lot of Comptech parts here at better prices than anywhere else.