Let me show you the "REAL" Navi !

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2001, 05:23 AM
IDRSLOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me show you the "REAL" Navi !

*Sigh* I wonder when can we have this kinda feature in our Navigation System.
Y'all know what I'm talking about right ? the "BirdView" Feature.
don't they look just awesome ??

------------------
2001 Acura CL Type-S. Blk/Blk w/Navi, Spoiler, PIAA Platinum Series Super White High Beams, PIAA 19169 Platinum Super White Wedge Bulbs, 20% / 5% tints.

So far four door dings, two on each side, DVD Navigation System Unit replaced, Both Driver and Passenger side seat back fell off, Metal piece inside of the wiper came out, planning to replace both wipers and wind shield next week.
Old 01-26-2001, 05:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn that looks great!! There is no way in getting that over here?? Built by sony..hmm What car is that on?

------------------
Tw1112
CL 3.0 '98 - Cleared bumper, hiper/piaa bulbs all around, PIAA 1700x fogs, and AEM CAI.
Old 01-26-2001, 06:08 AM
Wow only on my 2nd tranny

The New Q has a nav with "birds eye" view.
Old 01-26-2001, 11:15 AM
Instructor

I don't know - I'll stay with my current nav system. Her name's Pam - wonderful sexy voice, user friendly (unless I really pissed her off about something), great knobs and can update on the fly ("here honey, try looking at the right map and don't hold it upside down") Plus, $2000 will buy a lot of skins at Victoria's Secret. Now - if I can just figure out how to get the 'nav system' to change skins on the fly, we'll be good to go!

------------------
when you're ready to succeed!
Old 01-26-2001, 11:24 AM
Adult Supervision

I like this but I can't read Japanese! I'll have to check with "Janet", my nav-babe.

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, Road Salt Finish by Mass DOT, only 1 scratched rim
Old 01-26-2001, 11:26 AM
Instructor

We won't get anything like that inthe US until 2010. The FCC would have to approve it... then the Democrats would want to Tax it. The envorinmantalists would say that's too much plastic!

------------------
2001 CL Type S.
No spoiler. No NAV either. No fat chics.
no "phat" chics either.
Old 01-26-2001, 12:00 PM
Suzuka Master

I would certainly want that feature, but you all have to realize japan is like only the size of a state here in the US. So they can pack more info on to there system. Imagine if they hadd that much info for the whole US. it would deffintly not fit on 1 dvd.

But that does look cool.

IMHO.

------------------
CL-S
White/Ebony/Navi/Spoiler/Visor/Full Bra/Mud Guards/Cargo Net/Acura Car Cover/Tint 20%,35%,5% on Sun Roof, Rockford 250a2 Amp w/JL10w6 / K&N Drop in Filter. Comptech Springs. Polarg m-6.
Comptech Headers, Comptech Sways, Eurolite Xenon Crystal high beams.
AEM CAI once they decide to make the dame thing.

gtech 0-60 6.03 w/ 438 pound load. preheader.
Old 01-26-2001, 12:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NOVAwhiteTypeS:
I would certainly want that feature, but you all have to realize japan is like only the size of a state here in the US. So they can pack more info on to there system. Imagine if they hadd that much info for the whole US. it would deffintly not fit on 1 dvd.

But that does look cool.

IMHO.

</font>
That is very cool -- Wish we had that with built in Caltrans info system, and dynamic re-routing based on "current conditions."

Japan is one of the most crowded and "dense" countries in the world. If you consider all of the unpopulated regions of the US, it may fit on one DVD. Our current Acura NAVI DVD is rather under used. The 2.03 uses less than 3 gigs. A $100 DVD reader will read a lot more than that. I can look up the info from the Pioneer site (I did before).

With traffic getting so bad, there are already initiatives between the government, researchers and companies to develop smart routing system. I don't think our unit will get the needed interfaces, but some non-DVD based storage could download localized updates on traffic, weather, construction, and other info that was local to the auto. This would allow a saving in memory (persistent or volatile).
(just my thoughts)

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl-S w/ Navi.
Mud Guards.
Wheel locks
Toyo 235/45ZR17-97W*
T1S Proxies on Stock 17" CLS wheels
Gtech 1/8th tank 40F ~=6.1

[This message has been edited by EricL (edited 01-26-2001).]
Old 01-26-2001, 01:24 PM
Ride or Die

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by volsfan0911:
I don't know - I'll stay with my current nav system. Her name's Pam - wonderful sexy voice, user friendly (unless I really pissed her off about something), great knobs and can update on the fly ("here honey, try looking at the right map and don't hold it upside down") Plus, $2000 will buy a lot of skins at Victoria's Secret. Now - if I can just figure out how to get the 'nav system' to change skins on the fly, we'll be good to go!

</font>
Nope i want the girl that's in the JAGUAR's navi.. her accent drives me wild! looool
Old 01-26-2001, 02:20 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
All of the new Infiniti navigation systems have a Birds Eye View mode...

Including the systems on the new Q, the I30, and the QX4.

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2 CL Type-S
San Marino Red (Navigation)
PIAA 19173 Ion Yellow Fog Lights
Aftermarket Black Wood Trim Kit
Old 01-26-2001, 02:22 PM
Team Owner

That looks awesome, but I can only imagine how much disc space the maps take up on the storage media when they show buildings & landscape.

All I ask of Acura right now is more streets in my NAV and I will be happy.

Shawn S

------------------
&gt;&gt;&gt; 400+ posts on h/a.net &lt;&lt;&lt; &gt;&gt;&gt; 550+ posts “freak” on the “old” acura-cl.com &lt;&lt;&lt;

2001 CL Type S - NAV - San Marino RED / Parchment - Spoiler - 35% Tint - Roof Visor - PIAA Lamps
GOLD Emblems & Grill - V1 w/remote - KICKER ZR-360 w/(2) 10" Alumapro Subs - Shine by ZAINO
For Pictures see: PAGE 1 PAGE 2 PAGE 3 PAGE 4 V1 & SUBS
Old 01-26-2001, 02:53 PM
('''\_(o_0)_/''')

It does look nice, and it'd bother me if I had the navigation system, but I agree it does look better than the CL/TL/RL/Odyssey system made by Alpine. A bit off subject, Acura was the first to offer a real navigation system in this segment of automobiles and has still one of the only 5-speed automatic transmissions. Now, the new E-Class is having a 6-speed automatic transmission and many of the TL's competitors are getting a redo in the next few years, so I am curious to know how good their navigation systems (presumably if they offer one) and transmission technology will be compared to the current CL and TL models. Just a thought...

------------------
TL Forum Moderator
Rumors/Trends Forum Moderator
Advertising Committee
...at Honda-Acura.net
Old 01-26-2001, 02:56 PM
Race Director

Let's not forget that in the next two or three years up to a decade, there will be technological advances that will allow this to happen.

It's not cost; which will go down in the long run making a similar Navi 5 years from now about $2k, still.

It's not DVD space or geography; that's not a problem now and it certainly won't be a problem 5 years from now.

It's not the Government.

It is the changing technology: How is the [traffic] data transfered on the fly? Who's the carrier / service provider? Cost for services....?

It is mostly consumer apathy: No need to discuss this anymore. You know like I know that the dozen or so people here who want this won't make it happen anytime soon.

It is partially technical know-how. Those pictures appear to be artist renditions and in any case it doesn't look that futuristic. No more so that what you can do on a laptop and no more so than how great our Navi first looked when we saw it.

My 2 cents.

------------------
* 2001 Acura CL Type S * Blk/Blk * Navigator * Spoiler * Moonroof Visor * V1 *
* Since 3/31/2000 *
* Road Warrior *

* 500 posts on h/a.net *** 400 posts "insane poster" on the "old" acura-cl.com *
Old 01-26-2001, 06:51 PM
Adult Supervision

Now, don't all you non-nav owners wish you had this in your car when the technology does become available to be put on a CD - $2k well spent IMO

------------------
CL-S #22,299 Black/Parchment/Nav, spoiler, door & fender guards, wood trim, PIAA 19169 & 9005, V1 w/remote, trunk & winter mats, Road Salt Finish by Mass DOT, only 1 scratched rim
Old 01-26-2001, 06:53 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I disagree with everyone; I don't like it!

Sure it looks cool, but common, that would be so damn confusing. It would 'look' very cool, and would certainly impress passengers, but I don't think it would assist me at all if I were lost. Some things are better off simple.
Old 01-26-2001, 07:03 PM
Banned

Off the subject a little, but my friends and I have a great time talking about how funny it would be if they had s "flamer" voice on there...."...Make a left turn, silly!..."(add the Jim Carrey voice)

------------------
2001 Cl-S Black on Black with Navigation
Weapon-R Dragon Filter