lease and dings

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004 | 03:56 PM
1/4 14.4 at 95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lease and dings

just wondering if any of you like me are leasing , i dont have any dings just yet . but i know there will be eventually. will you get them fixed or its a lease so who cares ??????????????
Old 05-06-2004 | 03:56 PM
1/4 14.4 at 95

oh yea i have my car for a little over a year now
Old 05-06-2004 | 04:00 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

as far as i remember, AHFC will give a $1500 allowance for extra wear and tear, and that includes dings. You should have that in the disclosures (which I dont remember where it's at).

I think 3 per panel is acceptable.
Old 05-06-2004 | 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dents -- look over your paper work. Scratches -- watch out.

Look over your paper work. The dings can be "ironed-out" and the dealers have dent wizard guys that will do a whole car full of dings for a couple of hundred dollars. The cost saving comes from having the “wizard” only drive to one location and do a lot of cars there. (Traffic == time == money)

It's the scratches that there is very little -- or no tolerance -- for.

They really do let you get a few dings.

BTW, if you "collect" a few, it's cheaper to have a "few" fixed at once in lieu of having them done every single time you get one...
Old 05-06-2004 | 04:36 PM
Sweet as Gold

Umm The dent guy that we use charges like $150 per panel no matter how many dings are in each panel...so if u got dings in both front fenders and both doors...thats $400. Doesn't matter if each panel has one or ten dings in it.
Old 05-06-2004 | 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

It all depends on who, what, when, where, etc, etc

Originally posted by Ant7701
Umm The dent guy that we use charges like $150 per panel no matter how many dings are in each panel...so if u got dings in both front fenders and both doors...thats $400. Doesn't matter if each panel has one or ten dings in it.
There are no rules about what to charge....

If you hit “Dent Wizard,” they charge you a lot for the first dent in a door, and then charge a lower additional fee for dings in the same door (or panel). And, if the guy shows up, the rules don’t always stay the same, especially if you run into the same guy who is “off site.”

“Dent Werks” charges $100 a panel and a pretty lenient about how many ding are in each panel.

So, there are no set rules….

Some guys will charge by the panel, as it takes them more time to get INTO the panel to access the dings, and someone who is "gifted" will remove the individual dings at warp speed.

I have a detailer buddy who has a guy who visits dealerships and his shop to "clean-up" cars with a lot of dings. If he can do more than one car, the price drops. And, sometimes, there are a few panels that are a real pain to get into. Around Los Angeles, a remote repair may take someone 2- to 3-hours of round-trip drive time.

Not everyone works on the same price schedule...

And, as with all trades, the pricing varies as does the skill.

Demand, repeat trade, and "connections" all factor into pricing.

Dent Ironing (AKA PDR) is definitely a "growth industry" that can't be moved offshore and sure beats hitting the body shop…
Old 05-06-2004 | 10:27 PM
1/4 14.4 at 95

lol my ? was would u , i dont have any just yet but i know it will happen . but would you send the money even know its a lease???????????
Old 05-06-2004 | 10:34 PM
1/4 14.4 at 95

ant,,,, where did u get 400 thats like 600
Old 05-06-2004 | 10:52 PM
Sweet as Gold

hehehe...I was never that great at Math...thats why I fix cars
Old 05-07-2004 | 01:12 AM
Fight On SC!

don't repair it unless you absolutely have to. i just returned my leased cl and it was keyed and dinged. i thought for sure they were going to make me pay for it but the guy told me it's no big deal. i guess they're not as picky as i thought. they care more about the miles. btw, a month before your lease is up, they will send an inspector to check out your car and he will give you a report after he's done. he'll tell you if you need repairs.
Old 05-08-2004 | 12:43 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by ga2000
...i dont have any just yet but i know it will happen...
Why so pessimistic ? You have gone over a year with no dings, why are you so sure that you will have them?

I hate dings! With strategic defensive parking techniques, I have only aquired 2 that I can remember in the past 15 years! My poor memory doesn't go back much further than that, but I honestly don't really remember any before then. Be optimistic. Park smart. Good Luck!
Old 05-08-2004 | 02:30 AM
Suzuka Master

Some little kid is waiting for him to drive by and throw rocks at his car, that is why he is asking.
Old 05-08-2004 | 08:47 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by anothercls
Some little kid is waiting for him to drive by and throw rocks at his car, that is why he is asking.
Maybe another reason I've gone relatively dingless. Being a kid doctor, I guess kids have always either loved me or hated me. They also know how I love my cars. The ones that love me would surely never throw a rock at my ride, and the ones that hate me would most certainly be afraid to!
Old 05-08-2004 | 11:13 PM
Suzuka Master

To leave dinged or not to leave dinged....

Originally posted by ga2000
lol my ? was would u , i dont have any just yet but i know it will happen . but would you send the money even know its a lease???????????
"To leave dinged, or not to leave dinged: that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the dings and scratches of outrageous damage, Or to take arms against a sea of car wreckers..." :P

I would, as I hate dings. It has less to do with leasing and more to do with people seeing banged up and dinged doors in parking lots, and then thinking that one more addition to the door or panel is no big deal.

You now know the current cost range. If you ever decided to turn the car in, you could always "iron out" the panels yourself if they wanted to skin you over a few dings. You might actually want to keep the car too.

What do you care what other people think? If you dump it, it’s not like they are going to stick a gun to your head and say, “Hey buddy, it’s ours now, and we know it got dinged … we don’t care what you do – you're paying ... SUCKER!"

BTW, I think I'll just erase all of the information above, since the "off topic" police are threatening to send me to Baghdad

MY Story: Yours may be different when your day comes:

Until 3-weeks ago I didn't have a single scratch or ding in my CLS, and when the adjuster came to look over my car, he referred to it, "as that perfect Silver CLS with no dings or scratches." He gave me a very high estimate with all new parts, and it took forever to have one of the best shops in the city fix my nice hit-and-run smack I received to the rear bumper and trunk lid :crying: . He told me that if the car had not been in the perfect shape that it had been in, he would have only paid for a reconditioned bumper and would have cut some costs in other areas. (This is just my story, and I'm with 21st Century Insurance.) I had the owners of the body shop do a full walk around the car, and they were on notice from that millisecond that the work had better be perfect. They were happy to fix the car for the amount approved by the adjuster. It looks perfect again.

I could write about 100-pages on "Why it's good to have dings left in your car" or, conversely, why it's NOT good to have dings left on your car."

The two editions will be on store shelves the fall...
:thinking:
Old 05-08-2004 | 11:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by anothercls
Yes, they monitor this site and track down people who want to keep their cars in nice shape....