Laminex...Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 02:49 PM
IM4Citadel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Laminex...Is it worth it?

Last week a kid approached my car as I was getting my uniform fitted and tailored. We did the basic conversation, what he drove, what he had, what I had, and what we're both planning on doing. Than he noticed my front versus lip was all eaten up from dialy driving. I told him that it has been repainted 3 times already. He told me he had a full, new roll of Laminex in his car. Saw it and it was the real deal. He told me it saves the front of his ride everyday. I got to admit, it was thick and made the car seem pretty protected from rocks and debre. He's asking for $40 for the whole role. I got his number and told him I would think about it. I called my buddy up at a local tuner shop here and he told me that it was a pretty good deal, but told me the install is a bitch. That heat guns and cutters had to be used all day and that it was a one time thing (you can't really correct a mistake on measuring or cutting. He said he would come by my place and help out with some tinting tools and a heat gun. So do you guys think it is worht the pain that is about to come or am I better off just driving the car as is.

PS-took the forums tips from the last post w/ pics. Got rid of the 80's tac and swtiched out the sportcomp gauges for a set of cobalts and finally did the dry to wet conversion on the ZEX kit. Plus switched out the plugs for ZEX plugs...pics comin soon
Old 06-19-2006, 06:15 PM
Ricky Bobby

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Laminex is ok for your headlights. I would not want to put it on my paint. Laminex is out of north GA. I know the guy that runs the show, but if you are going to spend money you need to invest in a very good paint protection material. There are several out there. And he was right to a certain degree about the install. The only thing is, you stretch the film, so you have to be really careful if you use a heatgun. You are best to use a steamer. The film is a bit hard to work with if you are not used to it. It can be a big pain in the ass.

If you would like, I can talk to one of my customers that buys the paint protection film from me when he does it and see if he can help you out on a custom kit for your car. Just pm if you are interested and I can get you in touch with him.

The only other thing that I was touching on at the start is that laminex will turn over time and it is just too damn thick for any good. For paint you do not need to go over 6 mills thick, the laminex is 16 to 21 mills thick. That thick will show up more so than the 6 mill.

Good luck. rp