Kyle's not-quite-a-build 01 CL-S thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Kyle's not-quite-a-build 01 CL-S thread

Hi everyone! After selling my GTI, I am glad to be back on the AZ! Today I bought myself an 01 Sundance Gold CL-S. She's got 177k and has a few imperfections to the bumpers, but is in good condition other than that, and I got her for a good deal

Anyways, I thought I would start a thread for my car's life. I don't plan on doing too much modding, just a few small things over the next few months.

Wheels- The previous owner did a bad job of painting the wheels gunmetal, so I am thinking about going black. I may try black plastidip for now. It worked quite well on my friends' wheels, and if it doesn't work so well, it's only like $20

Road lamps- I was thinking about modding them to fog lights, but for now I may put some led bulbs in them and use them as DRLs.

Intake resonator- I removed it on my TL-P and liked the outcome, so I am going to do the CL as well!

Exhaust- nothing crazy here, but I want to remove either the resonator or the mid-muffler. I know the resonator is popular for VWs, but it looks like more people remove the mid-mufflers on these? I am looking for a nice throaty sound, and not too loud or ricey.

Brakes- my rotors are warped, so I am going to order a whole new set from the sponsored buys.

If I am going black wheels, I am also thinking about doing a tint and blacking the emblems as well. Any thoughts about how this would look?

So what do you guys think about the exhaust? And about the black on sundance look?

Anyways, this isn't going to be a crazy build thread, just a few little things that I do to my CL-S. I will just keep any little updates I do in this thread, so hopefully a few people enjoy it. Thanks everyone!

Pictures will come up tomorrow!

Edit: I almost forgot. When I got the car, the seats slid forward when you pull the lever (you guys know what I mean) but when I got home, the passenger side slides forward now, but doesn't go back on its own. I haven't investigated too much, I will look more closely tomorrow.

Last edited by kyamcg; 03-14-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:54 PM
Regional Coordinator (Texas)

Received 607 Likes on 308 Posts
congrats. is it the one that belongs to a member here?

i think the gear has to be in park in order to for the seats to move back on their own.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,460 Likes on 4,980 Posts
The door also has to be open for the seat to go back on its own.

Welcome back btw.
Old 03-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
The CL only has a mid-muffler, no resonator like the TL.

Also there's mixed feelings about the sound when the mid-muffler is removed, it sounds better on the TL cause the resonator is still there.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:41 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome back. Love or loved GTI's!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Instructor

Thanks, I'm glad to be back! Okay, the seat does indeed work, I just didn't know about leaving it in park.

Today I removed the intake resonator, buffed the headlights, and popped out a dent in the front bumper. I also PMd about ordering brakemotiv's drilled and slotted front and rear brakes, so I should have those ordered tomorrow!

Here's Sunny sitting in the driveway. Notice the nasty wheels. The other side is much worse

This is a few minutes in to my ride home.. She looks good from this view!

just getting started on the lights...

Top one is almost done, bottom is what they looked like before.

And a little bit of comic relief!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Instructor

nspec, No, I don't think the previous owner was a member of AZ. I will have to ask him if I talk to him again, though.

azn, so do you think I would be best off getting the mid removed and having a resonator put in its' place? I saw a video on youtube of a TL-S (white I believe) without a mid muffler and it sounded very nice, and Infiniti-like. I just don't want drone or ricer.

nf3d: The GTI was a fun car, but not very practical. Every little thing was problematic, and expensive to work on. It was fun while it lasted, and tore up the road pretty good. It was the vr6 and I had it just-about straight piped for a while... It gurgled and popped more than an old muscle car when it was cold!

Last edited by kyamcg; 03-15-2011 at 10:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:04 AM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
on our cars (cl) we just have a mid muffler. no mid muffler and resonator like the tl has. they sound will be different. their was a thread on here about ppl not liking the sound of the mid muffler removed
Old 03-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Instructor

Rajca, now that's a name I remember from the TL side.
Well, is there anything you'd recommend then, exhaust-wise? I liked the cheapness of the resonator (or mid muffler) delete, and maintaining the stock look. So I guess I'd just want a bit more sound, without spending much. I could imagine having just the rear mufflers without any resonator would be a little droney. Has anyone had the mid-muffler replaced with an aftermarket resonator?

Or, is there anyone near central Ohio with a mid-muffler delete that would like to meet up and let me hear how she sounds?
Old 03-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Suzuka Master

I think people have put in a vibrant resonator to replace the mid-muffler and that worked out good.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Alright, I may look into doing something like the vibrant then.

My only news for today is that I ordered Brakemotive's front and rear drilled/slotted rotors and pads... $162
Old 03-20-2011, 06:22 PM
Instructor

Alright, this weekend I washed the car and polished up the exhaust tips a bit.
I also decided to debadge it all, besides the (A).

Pulling off the letters seems to have messed with the paint a bit? I'm not sure if you can tell from the pictures, but the little speckles are gray, like there isn't paint there anymore? Or maybe thats just how it looks right now. Is there anything I can do about this?

Last edited by kyamcg; 03-20-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Yeah that's the glue residue that gets full of dirt. Now that you removed the emblems you can see it. You need to take some goo gone and a towel and soak it then rub that junk off. If that doesn't work use a clay bar. If that doesn't work use a cut and polish method, which is what I had to do for mine.
Good luck.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:43 PM
Instructor

I did the Goo-gone, and this is what was left.
I'll go give the wet-sand and buff a shot, it that is what you mean by cut and polish? Thanks!
Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Instructor

Ah, crap. I went out and wet sanded and buffed. Still nothing. It is very hard to take a picture of, but I got a few that sort of show it... Right where "Type-S" goes, I made a dull spot, I think from sanding too hardd

So, I guess worst case, I'll stick the Type-S back on. I still have the little etching around where the rest of the letters went though.

You can see the dull spot in the first pic, and the last few..

Old 03-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Quarantuning

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
I doesn't look that bad. Id leave it alone for a whiile, I had to let my debadge sort of blend in. Under the emblems was more glossy but in time it faded and looks even.

What I meant by cut and polish is a detailers term for using a liquid cutting compound and then your favorite polish on top. I needed to borrow my boys orbital buffer and spent a good hour or two working that area behind the emblems.
I never took sandpaper to my paint...ever. think you might have gone over board with that. But look at it this way, if you did damage the clearcoat and it doesn't fade evenly you have a perfect excuse to do a complete debadge, lose the acura a badge get the holes filled and get it re-cleared. Then it will look super smooth.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Ha alright, I'll hit that spot with a buffer a bit more tomorrow, then just let it all sit, and see how it looks after a while. From a few feet away, none of it is noticeable at all, it's just knowing that it is there that got to me. Thanks for the tips!

Right now, I'm waiting for the brakes to come in, then I will do the brake job and black the wheels in the upcoming week!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:55 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

You need to spend some time in the Wash/Wax forum.

I'd get their advice first before ever hitting up with my paint with some sandpaper.

Seriously, they've helped me out a lot in the past.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't wet sand your paint unless your a professional.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Yeah.. My Dad is really good at it, and some failed communication in the mix led to that. I'm not too worried about it though...

On the bright side, the brakes came in today! I'll probably put them in next week sometime, and black the wheels while I am at it (I'm still rolling that chipping gunmetal right now).
I'm also going to do an oil change today, and ATF change, just to be safe. (I've got receipts with the car of the transmission being replaced in 2007 by our local Honda Dealership.. $2400 )
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Intermediate

Got a question. whered you get ur rotors at?
Old 03-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Instructor

CLICK HERE for the thread... It ended up being about $162 all-in-all.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Instructor

Alright, tomorrow I should actually have some free time, so I am most likely going to do the brake install and wheels.

I was cleaning out my egr ports the other day, and realized something.. in the top plate on the engine (I'm not sure exactly what it is called, it has the little channels for the egr gasses to get to each port) and in the intake manifold, the Egr ports are ~1/4" or so. However, the holes in the gasket for the EGR ports are only about half the size. Could the small holes in the gasket be causing the carbon to build up in there? (not the main port, but the individual ones)

Here's a quick sketch of what I mean.. The top is with the small holes in the gasket.. which would seem to cause the buildup, then the bottom is how I'd assume it'd flow more freely with larger holes. I know in mine, at least, in that top plate, plenty had seemed to build up right above the gasket.

Last edited by kyamcg; 03-27-2011 at 08:14 PM. Reason: added pic
Old 03-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
those rotors warp within a year just an FYI,, I had a set and I have 2 other friends with them and they are warped and there easy on there cars.. so just prepare to get another set in a year or so
Old 03-29-2011, 02:33 PM
Instructor

Are you serious?

Well, I guess if these do warp within a year, you get what you pay for, and I just bough myself a year to save up for better ones

Anywho, I got the brakes installed, so no more shaking while I'm trying to stop! I also sanded my wheels down and plastidipped them black. It wasn't the most thorough job ever, but I was being nagged the entire time, so my patience level wasn't the greatest. However, it looks much better than it did before!

Tomorrow, I've got an appointment to get my windows tinted as well. For not having a big budget, I think my little Sundance CL is coming along nicely
Old 03-31-2011, 04:23 PM
Instructor

So I did new spark plugs, and put some H7 HIDs in the roadlamps (now fog lights). I also am looking into a CAI, but that's nothing exciting for people of the forums.

Since this thread is coming to the end, I've just got one more question for you guys before it works its way to the bottom of the threads to never be seen again... What do you think would look best?

Having black wheels, debadged but with black (A) and black Type-S, tint windows, smoke tails (except the clear part), paint the window trim black, and paint silver part inside the headlights black? (I guess the murdered out look, but on Sundance)
...or...
Leaving things the way they are, and refinishing the wheels back to silver, keeping a stock look?

or, other suggestions?
Old 03-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Cruisin'

First off: How did you clean those headlights? What with? I have an 03CL-S and my headlights are in the same shape.

Second off: From what I've read, an icebox is better than a CAI.

I say leaving the things the way they are. I don't think Orange+Black looks too good.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Inteuniso
First off: How did you clean those headlights? What with? I have an 03CL-S and my headlights are in the same shape.

Second off: From what I've read, an icebox is better than a CAI.

I say leaving the things the way they are. I don't think Orange+Black looks too good.
For the headlights, I used wet sand paper (1500 grit, I believe) and a buffer. I have seen other people doing different levels of wet sand paper and then buffing, but I only had one sheet on hand.

I've heard great things about the icebox as well, but the CAI is more of a budget-friendly choice for me. Does anyone know if a CAI from an Accord V6 would fit? I may be able to get ahold of one of those for a steal, and have a sweet story to go along with it if it fits.\

Thanks for the input on the black and orange. I've got mixed thoughts about it, personally. I like the stock look, but I've got a friend with a red G6 that is pretty blacked out and it looks sick, so I didn't know if the same theme would look as good on Sundance or not.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:12 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Seems like we both picked up an '01 Sundance at the same time (hope you didnt pay too much for yours )

Anyways If youre looking for more performance then you want the Icebox otherwise if youre looking for a loud roar at WOT then go for the AEM CAI. Ive had both on my previous SSM CL-S and I enjoyed the sound of the CAI but loved the extra little oomph the Icebox gave me, too bad there isnt something in the middle.

About the black wheels, pleaseeeee dont! I have been contemplating wheel color choices and black would just make you look as if you live for halloween.

Definetly start on the '03 cosmetic upgrades. I have my tails in and they look oh so nice on the color and since the color was only offered in '01 it makes it that more special.
Old 04-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Scepter, congrats on the '01 Sundance as well! I ended up paying $4500 for mine, how about you?

I did do the wheels black for now, they were in dire need for at least SOMETHING. I do like the look of them stock, but wouldn't be able to return them to that shine. What other colors are you considering?

What are the changes between the '01 and '03 besides the road lamps and tails?

As for the CAI, I'll let you know what I end up doing. Honestly, it'll probably end up just being an eBay CAI. I've really got to save some before I put more into the car for now
Old 04-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kyamcg
Scepter, congrats on the '01 Sundance as well! I ended up paying $4500 for mine, how about you?

I did do the wheels black for now, they were in dire need for at least SOMETHING. I do like the look of them stock, but wouldn't be able to return them to that shine. What other colors are you considering?

What are the changes between the '01 and '03 besides the road lamps and tails?

As for the CAI, I'll let you know what I end up doing. Honestly, it'll probably end up just being an eBay CAI. I've really got to save some before I put more into the car for now
Picked mine up for $2000 with 125k miles on the clock.

Im experimenting with neochrome (that rainbow effect), gunmetal, machined-black (shiny black, not deep black) gold, bronze and chrome.

'03 has color matched door handles and side mirrors that are more squared. head lamps are also blacked out from factory.

Dont go ebay CAI, you'll regret it. Just go with an AEM unit.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:31 PM
Instructor

I may look for a used AEM then, I really don't have a few hundred dollars to shell out. How'd you pick one up so cheap!? :jealous:

Definitely keep me posted on the wheels, I may have to copy what you do. Mine was an attempt at gunmetal when I got it, and it looked pretty good. (Horrible paint job, but color-wise it wasn't bad). I really thought about doing gold or bronze too, but imagined that it would clash on a Sundance car. We are doing gold/bronze on my friend's Mazdaspeed3 this weekend if the weather decides to be nice to us.

I think I am fine with my stock mirrors, I'd probably never notice much of a difference. I could probably just do the headlights myself, but the door handles and tail lights would definitely both good looking upgrades.