K&N Filters evil???

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Filters evil???

I've got a moron in my office (Porsche Boxter S driver... 'nuff said) that told me K&N filters are crap and they can harm the engine, oil coats the MAP sensor, etc.

Is this baulderdash or is there some basis to his claims? It seems to me that if you wash the filter, then REALLY HEAVILY coat it with oil, then yeah - you could coat the MAP sensor... but as to the engine damage? It seems to me that lots of other K&N filter owners can't be wrong...

Oh - I saw on AEM's site where their "new" CAIs don't have a K&N filter - they have an AEM filter... any info?
Old 08-08-2001, 06:10 PM
Pro

Moron? I've always thought Boxster S's were quite nice. I'll withhold the cutting commentary, not knowing the precise reason why you're maligning the car or this guy behind his back.

There is definitely a percentage of validity to what he's saying, and I posted something to that effect a long time ago when somebody was asking about K&N's. Here's the thread with my comments and others.
http://www.acura-cl.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=1&t=002736

There is no controversy that K&N panel filters reduce intake restriction over stock panel filters. The point of controversy between K&N and independent (and some not-so-independent) testers is whether that reduction in restriction comes at the price of allowing contaminants, most notably silicates (really fine sand) to pass into the engine, where they can enter the motor oil by way of adhering to the valve stems and/or cylinder walls. It's an understatement to say that silicates in the lubricant are a bad thing.

I heard that a Japanese magazine once did a shootout between aftermarket filters, including K&N. Apex'i and Blitz were the designs that came out on top in terms of both reduction of restriction and filtering effectiveness. Don't quote me on this, though.
Old 08-08-2001, 06:18 PM
Coming to a city near you

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
hmmm I've never really thought about it but he could be right. I use to use an AEM on my hybrid and after it rained you could see a stream of red oil/water that would travel up inside the pipe and inside the T/B. So he might be right but I never heard of anybody having any problems, if there was I would think K&N would change the kind of oil they used.
Old 08-08-2001, 06:52 PM
Banned

Don't get me wrong - I'd take a Boxter S any day of the week, but I couldn't afford it, which is why I have a CLS. This particular individual has, shall I say, a silver spoon.

Anyway - thanks for the info!

Originally posted by DtEW:
<STRONG>Moron? I've always thought Boxster S's were quite nice. I'll withhold the cutting commentary, not knowing the precise reason why you're maligning the car or this guy behind his back.

There is definitely a percentage of validity to what he's saying, and I posted something to that effect a long time ago when somebody was asking about K&N's. Here's the thread with my comments and others.

There is no controversy that K&N panel filters reduce intake restriction over stock panel filters. The point of controversy between K&N and independent (and some not-so-independent) testers is whether that reduction in restriction comes at the price of allowing contaminants, most notably silicates (really fine sand) to pass into the engine, where they can enter the motor oil by way of adhering to the valve stems and/or cylinder walls. It's an understatement to say that silicates in the lubricant are a bad thing.

I heard that a Japanese magazine once did a shootout between aftermarket filters, including K&N. Apex'i and Blitz were the designs that came out on top in terms of both reduction of restriction and filtering effectiveness. Don't quote me on this, though.</STRONG>
Old 08-08-2001, 08:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DtEW:
<STRONG>Moron? I've always thought Boxster S's were quite nice. I'll withhold the cutting commentary, not knowing the precise reason why you're maligning the car or this guy behind his back.

I heard that a Japanese magazine once did a shootout between aftermarket filters, including K&N. Apex'i and Blitz were the designs that came out on top in terms of both reduction of restriction and filtering effectiveness. Don't quote me on this, though.</STRONG>

I think that silica in the engine story is a bunch of bunk. If you're talking about people that never clean or oil their filters, then I could see a problem.

I did notice the oil survey that was posted a few days ago, and the car with 11K on the K&N had no Silica in the oil, but the car with stock filter did.

Hmmm... Looks like just about any filter if not properly maintained can let abrasives in.

BTW -- I used foam filters on my Weber side drafts, and they were constantly replaced and oiled. I noticed that I was getting dirt inside the oiled-foam filters. Hmmm -- interesting, since that very article says that they are some of the best at reducing silica ingestion...

So, I'm not saying your right, and I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm pointing out that there is a lot of "information" running around as "fact", that doesn't quite look right.
Old 08-08-2001, 09:25 PM
Pro

Originally posted by EricL:
<STRONG>So, I'm not saying your right, and I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm pointing out that there is a lot of "information" running around as "fact", that doesn't quite look right.</STRONG>
No disagreement there. Despite the results and recommendations that are made in the links of the old thread, I've heard that HKS (a very reputable tuner that rarely puts out shit, BTW) oiled-foam filters are some of the worst at preventing dust ingestion.

The opinion that is espoused in all my posts is that there is real, unresolved controversy as to the effective dust filtration of K&N filters. The Boxster guy isn't speaking out of his ass, but that's as far as my "support" goes.

I'd personally avoid K&N's just the same, though. Rarely does a controversy exist without some vestige of truth on both sides.
Old 08-10-2001, 02:53 PM
Banned

BTW - looks like there is good truth to the K&N filtering issue - but the real issue is whether it is significant or not.
http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/airfilter.html

Any info on that?
Old 08-10-2001, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

never had a prob w/my stang and k/n
Old 08-10-2001, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

have used k7n since 1986 with no problems