Just my luck! (some decent stories)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 06:48 AM
still a Masshole

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just my luck! (some decent stories)

This past weekend I drove to New York for a wedding and wouldn't you know it I had several cars that took exception to being passed and wanted a piece. Problem was that I was with my fiancee and future mother-in-law once and just the fiancee on the way back. So in short these were half or almost races.

First almost race was a 3-coupe of some sort not sure what it was but it was either a 328ci or a 330ci because anything else would not have had a chance. Anyway i had passed this joker on 95S and got infront of him to get on the Merritt. neither of us was going fast because 95 had a little traffic and I didn't get in front of him aggressively. As we get on this road that eventually merges with the Merritt it opens up to two lanes and it is pretty empty. well I see 3 coming hard and I hesitate for a second and when he passes hard I decide to take chase. Now he did have a huge jump and was pulling hard when he passed me but by the time I hit 100mph I was gaining on him pretty good. At this point my fiancee told me, "thats enough!" and I had to let off. The bimmer kept going and I didn't see him again. I was pretty happy that with 3/4 tank, two passengers and luggage I was able to pull on this bimmer. he was alone, from what I could tell. wish I could have pursued but the voice of reason was right.

Second race was a Saab Aero on the taconic. This one was less exciting but would have been a good race with me probably losing. This time it was me and the lady with a little less luggage. unfortunately the road was in its narrow, windy, two lane portion with moderate traffic so no go (I like racing but not when its dangerous for me (because of the conditions) or other people). But I had passed the guy earlier and when he had a chance he came zooming past me. I gave chase. I knew he wanted a piece because at one point he gunned it when no one was ahead of him and a puff of black smoke came out the exhaust. I would follow but wasn't able to gain (although I did not WOT). I never got to line up because everytime I wanted to he would take off. finally we hit the narrow area and we both backed off. The aero looked pretty quick and sounded a little loud (it may have been lightly modded). Don't know the specs but would have been a good run.

Final run took place a week ago when I raced an APR stage 3 A4. started from a 60-70 mph and were pretty much even till about 110 when it started gaining on me (I had a slight jump to begin with). This is where my car had shifted to 4th. at about 115-120 we both let off and that was the end. This race took place late at night with no one on the road.