Just an igniter problem?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 09:17 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an igniter problem?

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I don't actually own an Acura as of yet. I aspire to own a TSX once my Accord EX-R packs it in a few years.

A friend of mine just bought a 2001 CL-S on Monday. After checking out that everything was in good working order at the used car lot, she got the car home and noticed that the passanger side HID light is not working.

Upon further inspection we discover that the passenger fog light is also not functioning. AND the passenger side Day Time Running Light goes completely off when the high beams are turned on. (DRL's...We live in Canada)

An Acura dealer installs the tranny oil-kit on it the next day, they replace the fog light and tell us that something is seriously wrong with the lighting system.

I suspect that it is the same Inverter/Igniter/Balist problem that everyone else who has had similar light problems have posted about. Only no one else has mentioned the problem with the fog/drls.

We take it back to the used car dealership and they say that the blown Igniter is the reason none of the lights on the passanger side are working properly. They said that the electical signal for the HID was getting back-fed into the system, and was shorting out the fuses causing the problems. Ofcourse, they told us that it worked properly when they certified it.

Now for the question(s):

How likely is it that JUST the blown igniter is causing this?

Has anyone else had the extent of problems we have had so far with a blown igniter?

Do these igniters just FAIL, without warning, or do they tend to work intermittently before they fail completely?

Thanks,

-ERA