Just an idea or special edition cars....

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 08:30 PM
What, me drive fast?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an idea or special edition cars....

Several car companies put out "special editions" of their cars. I don't mean like the "Honda special editions" where it seems like they are trying to up sales at the end of a 4 or 5 year body style run (we will give you alloy wheels and floor mats as a special edition)...I mean like the Eddie Bauer Explorer or the Coach Lexus or even the Rouche or McLauren Mustangs. To the point...why can't Acura or Honda come out with Comptech edition cars? They seem to have a good working relationship, would it be a huge stretch to have essentially a SEMA CL-S, maybe without the ground effects, and sell it to the public? Granted, it may be $40K with the s/c and everything else but if it pushed out 340hp (?) at the crank would it sell for $40K? Just a thought...
Old 01-24-2003, 08:33 PM
Safety Car

hey, makes sense to me....

but this is a Co. that is offering a Sport Coupe with no factory body kit
Old 01-24-2003, 09:08 PM
What, me drive fast?

How true is that. Give the (admittedly sexy) 4-door a body kit but not the CL? I have a TL as a loaner today. I wonder how much Acura wanted the CL to survive. After talking (today) to the Acura dealership that I dropped my car off at for service #1 the think that Acura will do something with the CL in 2004 (as opposed to killing it). I think that the CL is suffering NOW because it set the standard 3 (2.5?) years ago and everyone else in Import world is stepping up. Time to step up...even with the current model they could fight the fight!!!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:20 PM
6th Gear

Re: Just an idea or special edition cars....

Originally posted by blackmagiCL_S
Several car companies put out "special editions" of their cars. I don't mean like the "Honda special editions" where it seems like they are trying to up sales at the end of a 4 or 5 year body style run (we will give you alloy wheels and floor mats as a special edition)...I mean like the Eddie Bauer Explorer or the Coach Lexus or even the Rouche or McLauren Mustangs. To the point...why can't Acura or Honda come out with Comptech edition cars? They seem to have a good working relationship, would it be a huge stretch to have essentially a SEMA CL-S, maybe without the ground effects, and sell it to the public? Granted, it may be $40K with the s/c and everything else but if it pushed out 340hp (?) at the crank would it sell for $40K? Just a thought...
A couple of corrections.

Eddie Bauer Explorer- No special addition, this model has been produced as the "median" model since explorers were created. FYI The top of the line explorer is the "Limited" That comes standard with 16in alloys, 5.0 V8, and a AWD car like suspension, we happen to own both a 99 eddie bower, and a 96 limited, and the limited is like going from a honda to an acura ride wise.

Coach Lexus- Lexus puts out a model with some honeycomb grille and a new badge and can mark it up 4-5k . To top it all off, they release this edition right before they redesign it, so who in their right mind would pay for this knowing next year there will be a new body style?

Rouche or McLauren Mustangs- Well last time i checked, MclaREN made F1 cars, and produced 12 street cars (oxymoron, there not street legal in the US). And even if they did, like rouche, they are independant companies, that have nothing to do with ford. A good analogy would be comptech buying a few CL's loading em up, then reselling them for about twice as much.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:51 PM
Safety Car

Re: Re: Just an idea or special edition cars....

Originally posted by Trboprsche911
A couple of corrections.

...we happen to own both a 99 eddie bower, and a 96 limited
Uh, just one more correction, I believe you meant Bauer. At least this is what it says on my shirt.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:26 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

"special editions" are for the average car buyer who doesnt have a clue on the models and THINK they're getting something trully special

blackmagic: they dont have a comptech package cos type-s is SUPPOSE to be the sports-tuned version of CLP/TLP..... ha!
Old 01-25-2003, 04:39 PM
What, me drive fast?

All points mentioned above are taken. Perhaps my examples were off the mark. Put I think that the point is still valid. Don't you think that Acura could pump a little life into the CL with some creative marketing, whether that be special edition cars or even like mentioned, Comptech making a bit more noise in the show scene?
Old 01-25-2003, 04:45 PM
6th Gear

I think the best possible refrence would be to Mazda, and there new MazdaSpeed line.
Old 01-25-2003, 04:53 PM

I think Acura is trying to do this withe the A-Spec TLS.