Just got reckless driving yesterday.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 07:30 AM
The CL Crazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got reckless driving yesterday.

I was coming back from the bar yesterday. And on my way to drop a friend home i was showing off a little.Anyways i was going 140 and passed by this state cop. When i got to the on ramp he caught up to me and pulled me over. I got a ticket to for reckless driving. Going 110 in a 65. I have to appear in court in one week. Any advice on what i should say or do . Also anyone know what i might me up for as a fine ?
Old 12-09-2002, 07:32 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
how old are you?

edit: never mind...you just came out of a bar...

first time? they might reduce it to a speeding ticket if you are lucky....otherwise the judges tend to be strict about such high speeds.....i can send a bottle of vaseline over if you want :P lemme know:P
Old 12-09-2002, 07:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

I got a 110 in a 70. But the state trooper only gave me a fine. It was an expensive fine at $390. I wasn't in my county either, so I just paid it, & didn't go to court.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:39 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
i got reckless driving ticket in oregon over two months ago at the West coast CL meet. i live in california.

the fine is $5000 and a maximum of one year in oregon.

i did not get an attorney because i can't afford one, and i was denied a court appointed attorney because "i make too much money".

i had to drive hours and hours back and forth to oregon TWO more times after the meet.

one for the Arrainment for my plea, and one for the pre-trial.

i ended up making a deal with the DA to reduce the fine to $250, with a 1 year bench probation, and a 90 day license suspension.

the reason i took his deal is because if i didn't, this would have gone to a real trial (in criminal court of course) and i could possible get some jail time for it including a heavy fine.

so i took the deal.

$5000 fine and maximum 1 year isn't something i want to fuck around with anymore.

the pre-trail was just about 3 weeks ago. my license is suspended till march although i don't think it's in the california DMV yet.

good luck. talk to an attorney and possibly hire one.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:41 AM
The CL Crazy

it is my first recklessdriving offence. As long as i dont get my licence tanken away or i dont get trown in jail. A fine and driving school is what i am hoping.

do you think it will go that far as jail?
Old 12-09-2002, 08:16 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
no, no jail. hefty fine probably. the would have already put you in jail!!
Old 12-09-2002, 08:18 AM
At least it's not Jersey

Advise: do 140 by yourself, don't risk your passenger's lives when they're trusting you... especially with alcohol in your system.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:21 AM
The CL Crazy

I was tinking that i would have to go to jail or something. What should i say? Guilty or not? any suggetions? Is the officer going to be there? Any lawers out there that can help
Old 12-09-2002, 08:44 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

your first court appearance will be your arrianment. this is where you say "not guilty" regardless of what happened. it's just an arrainment.

then, you need to get yourself an attorney or talk to one at least. also see if you qualify for a "free" attorney provided by the state. if not, you will need to spend some money to hire one or consult one.

your second court appearance will be your pre-trial, the cop does not show up for this because the District Attorney represents the state. you normally do not get to tell your side of the "story" at the pre-trial because obviously the cop is not there to tell his side of the story in person. if you plead "not guilty" at the pre-trial, it will most likely go to a real trial. then the cop will be summoned and you will basically be in a fight between the cops story and your story.

usually you want to make a deal during the pre-trial. and if you have an attorney, he will be the one to represent you and to try to get the offense reduced. if you don't have an attorney, then you will want to try to make a deal with the DA on reducing it IF they even do that for you.

try to remember that this just isn't a traffic offense, this is a misdemeanor and involves criminal court, not traffic court.

Old 12-09-2002, 08:49 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

you are lucky that the cop didn't take you to jail too. because he could have, which was the same for me.

he could have taken me to jail and impounded my car, but didn't because i was being "good" about what happened.

go to your States DMV website, or whatever it is, and look up the fine for the violation # written on the ticket.

the cop actually hand wrote $4000 in the "base fine" box on my ticket , but when i got to court it was actually a $5000 fine along with a maximum one year in jail, which means that there could also minimum to that too.

alot of it is going to depend on how you act in court.

just remember, the first appearance is ONLY an arrainment, so all you do is go up to the bench, listen to the judge read off your charges and what not, and he/she will ask you how you plea. then you say "guilty or not guilty" but you do NOT want to say guilty at this time. saying guilty ends it all immediately, and you don't want that.

so plead not guilty, and a new court date for your pre-trial will be set.

then you talk to an attorney to see what he can help you with.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:56 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by CT3.2

do you think it will go that far as jail?

Here in Cali. over 100 can mean straight off to jail.
Old 12-09-2002, 08:58 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

here is my story from my pre-trail, so you can get a little idea of what happens:

Originally posted by TypeSDragoon 11-20-2002 02:16 PM
story time!

well, i finally get my name called and go up in front of the judge. i tell him that i don't have the money for an attorney and that the state denied my claim for a public defender. so he said that he would move the court date back two weeks so that i can try to get an attorney. i told him that i cannot afford to come to court again in two weeks and that i just don't have the money for an attorney or to keep driving all the way up here. the judge was very nice to me alltogether considering that i sat there in the audience and didn't say a peep the whole time and because i was dressed nicely out of respect for his court (IMO that's good reason he was being nice). Another thing that the judge said is he asked me what the ONE point on my DMV record was because he was having trouble reading it on his paperwork. i almost shit my pants!!!! so i told him that the point was a speeding ticket that i got almost 3 years ago and it's about to come off my record in just a few months. he kinda smiled/laughed and said "well, at least your not a huge menace on the road". i just kinda smiled at that because he was really being totally nice to me considering what i was there for. i cannot believe that they only showed ONE point on my DMV record!!!!! so he asked the District Attorney if he wanted to come up with a bargin right now since i cannot afford to have this thing continue more. The DA didn't have ANY paperwork on my case! so the judge game him his paperwork and he basically read the police report on the matter. then the DA said that he would make it only a $250 dollar fine, 12 month bench probation and a 90 day license suspension if i agree to it. so of course i agreed! it's a better deal to take that then to go to a full trial on this and risk jail time if fully convicted.
so i basically plead quilty on the charge but took a smaller fine instead of risking jail/bigger fine.

since i did agree to the reckless driving then that will go on my record. god knows what's going to happen in the future as far as my insurance goes. they will drop me like a bad habit and i will lose the loan on my car since i will not have coverage.

they never heard my side of the story, because i would only get to do that in a real trial with the cop present and everything. so oh well to that.

oh, and the fine for this was $5,000 not 4grand the cop wrote it down wrong. the other part of the fine is a maximum of 1 year in jail!

so i believe that i took the better route because i didn't want to risk goign to jail if they found me completly guilty. but i'm also pretty sure that my story would have held up in court because of what happened. it might have been reduced after they heard my story and came to a conclusion for all i know. but it was a gamble. i took this smaller fee because it was a last minute thing done by DA. he took about 30 seconds to look at the paper work/read the story, then say what he would bargin with

now the main thing i'm concered about is the reckless driving on my DMV record because i know it's a 2 point thing that stays on your record for 7 years! but i'll have to check on all that with California DMV to see how it applies to me.
the only other thing that i have to do now is to apply for a "hardship" with the oregon DMV so that the suspension will still allow me to get to and from work everyday.

Old 12-09-2002, 08:59 AM

If you are still in school, or work for a bigger company there might be attorneys you can speak to for free.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:02 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

Originally posted by nate'sCLS
no, over 100 is technically a reckless driving offense, but the cop somtimes won't give that to you.

one of our Bay area guys was on his way to a meet out in sac, and he got busted for 110 in a 65 or 70. he didn't get reckless driving, he just got a speeding ticket for 110mph.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:23 AM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

Does the CL-P do 140MPH? And you did not go to jail?
Old 12-09-2002, 09:38 AM
The CL Crazy

yes up to 147. No
On the ticket it says the violation # is 14-222.

Any one can find out what that is.
I live in Connecticut.
Old 12-09-2002, 09:39 AM
Team Owner

140 MPH with a passenger and passing cars on the highway I think you SHOULD go to jail and have the car impounded for 30-days.
And go on HIGH-RISK insurance for 2-years.
Even if I knew some tricks to help you reduce your penalty I wouldn’t help you.
If you get off easy, you’re just going to do it again and eventually kill someone.

Sorry nothing personal, that’s just the way I feel.
Your actions are just plain STUPID

Shawn S
Old 12-09-2002, 10:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

$5K fine, & 1 year in jail? What the hell did you do? People who steal cars get lighter sentences.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:11 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

Originally posted by JasonT
$5K fine, & 1 year in jail? What the hell did you do? People who steal cars get lighter sentences.
what's worse....stealing a car or putting peoples lives in danger?

not only yourself + the person in the car, but the lives of innocent people around you.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:23 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

Originally posted by Shawn S
140 MPH with a passenger and passing cars on the highway I think you SHOULD go to jail and have the car impounded for 30-days.
And go on HIGH-RISK insurance for 2-years.
Even if I knew some tricks to help you reduce your penalty I wouldn’t help you.
If you get off easy, you’re just going to do it again and eventually kill someone.

Sorry nothing personal, that’s just the way I feel.
Your actions are just plain STUPID

Shawn S
actually in California it stay's on your record for 7 years

but shawn is totally right.

you need to take this shitty experience and learn from it. ever since i got this huge ticket 2 1/2 months ago, i have been driving on cruise control since. i was only in court 3 weeks ago for my pre-trial too.

the shitty part of it for me was that i got the ticket in oregon at the CL meet, and oregon is over 5.5 hours from my house. so i had to drive up there just to spend the night for one night, got to my arrainment just to say "not guilty", and drive all the way back home afterward. THEN i had to appear 30 days later for the pre-trial, which again, driving all the way up there over night (or two) and driving all the way back home. anywho, that's my shitty part of it.

but seriously, you need to learn from this ticket. it's a life changing thing, and i hope it turns out for the better.

you can still be cool with your friends at a slower speed, but now look how stupid it is that you got this ticket.
slow down
Old 12-09-2002, 10:25 AM
Rod
Drifting

Since we're on the topic, does anyone know what the fines/sentences are for reckless driving in South Florida. I've been told by 3 or 4 cops that anything over 100MPH is considered reckless driving and that I can be taken in for it, but luckily none of them took me in, they just let me go or gave me speeding tickets.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:36 AM
whoXwanXsum

your lucky bro. i did 100 in a 35 and went to jail for my reckless driving
Old 12-09-2002, 10:40 AM
At least it's not Jersey

Speed limits on our state highways are established for ideal driving conditions and must be approved by the STC. During inclement weather, motorists should adjust their operating speeds accordingly. In addition, no motorist should operate a motor vehicle at a rate of speed or in such a manner as to endanger the lives of vehicle occupants or any other person. Any infringement of these common sense practices shall be considered a violation (Connecticut State Statutes 14-218a Traveling Unreasonably Fast; 14-219 Speeding and 14-222 Reckless Driving).
Old 12-09-2002, 10:43 AM
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Prepare to bend over and take it in the ass man....110 in a 65 you will be lucky if they drop the careless...prepare for a maximum fine and a non forgiving pissed off judge. Don't even bother with a story it's not going to help you. Get a lawyer.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:59 AM
The CL Crazy

it says that it is reckless driving. 1-300 hundred in fine max or 30 day in jail maxium. Or both
Old 12-09-2002, 12:25 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my first ticket was a 93 in a 65 and i got off w/ no points and a clean record, i just payed $115, so i guess it matters on the prosecutor and cop
Old 12-09-2002, 12:29 PM
What can I get ya?

I dont think any jail time will be included, maybe some community service though and suspension of license for a while
Old 12-09-2002, 12:32 PM
The CL Crazy

as long as no jail time. i am going to go next monday. I wasn't arrested or anything just given the summons to court. it just says reckless driving 110 in a 65.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:27 PM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by darrinb
my first ticket was a 93 in a 65 and i got off w/ no points and a clean record, i just payed $115, so i guess it matters on the prosecutor and cop
It always depends on many things as you mention, but you weren't going over 100 MPH and I'm assuming you got a speeding ticket and not a reckless driving ticket. CT3.2 says he got an actual reckless driving ticket.

I've been pulled over for going over 100 about 3 or 4 times and was let go all but one time. That one time I got a speeding ticket for 108 in a 65 and a "not using due care" ticket. I sent them to the Ticket Clinic and I don't think I even ended up paying court costs for either, just the Ticket Clinic fees (about $100 for 2 tickets given at the same time). And no points either!
Old 12-09-2002, 02:08 PM
Banned

man, if i ever got a ticket like that, id sell my CL-S for sure, whats the point of having a car like this if it just gets ya in trouble? not to mention, will you even be able to afford insurance once that catches up to you...
Old 12-09-2002, 02:17 PM
The CL Crazy

your right it was careless. And has changed everthing about how i drive now.
what is Ticket Clinic?
Old 12-09-2002, 02:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Rod

Don't know the specific laws in south FL. The 110, in a 70 is the only speeding ticket I got. It was from a state trooper on the turnpike(pre V1) He treated it like any other ticket, gave me my $390 fine, & that was it. I pled guilty, & mailed in my check. Strange though, since no points ever showed up, & insurance never picked it up either. Maybe I was lucky. I was doing 125+ I guess I slowed down just enough to be clocked at 110.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:44 PM
At least it's not Jersey

what is Ticket Clinic?
Hey are they making you go thru driver re-education?? LOL I've been there twice; old tickets and they kept catching me rolling thu stop signs!!!! lol It's a major waste of a Saturday morning. Better than a suspension.

Was your Cobra radar detector going off??
Old 12-09-2002, 02:58 PM
Rod
Drifting

what is Ticket Clinic?
The Ticket Clinic are the attorneys most people in South Florida send their tickets to.

Originally posted by JasonT
Rod

Don't know the specific laws in south FL. The 110, in a 70 is the only speeding ticket I got. It was from a state trooper on the turnpike(pre V1) He treated it like any other ticket, gave me my $390 fine, & that was it. I pled guilty, & mailed in my check. Strange though, since no points ever showed up, & insurance never picked it up either. Maybe I was lucky. I was doing 125+ I guess I slowed down just enough to be clocked at 110.
Everytime I get pulled over while doing over 100 they go on and on about how they can haul my ass of to jail.

I just tryo to keep it under 100 now tobe on the safe side. I don't need to deal with any of that trouble.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:07 PM
The CL Crazy

i went to driver retraining twice already. But for stop signs and uturns. I was just talking to my lawer he said that if i had 2,3, or 4 of these type of tickets or DWI then it would be given jail time. But for the first offence i should just get $100-300 fine suspension of licence. And i guess driver retraining again. I think that i am learning my leason to keep my speed low from now on.
O and i didn;t say that even worse i scraped my car 10 min before i got this ticket $550 to fix but that is on the back of my mind for now.Step 1 is the court date this coming monday. Step 2 fix the scrape. bad day i was having yesterday. The radar did not go off. he was in the other lane going the speed limit when i was flying passed him.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Jesus man...i was completly scared shitless when I got my first ticket...and cant even imagine how you must have felt...

anyway, though it was careless, lets try and keep this strictly flame-free, at least untill the consequence of his actions have been fully defined...untill then, it wont help anyone (afterwords through, FLAME ON).

And to think that the majority of the post arround here are about how to go faster and faster...Im glad you didnt go to jail bro.

Next time some IS'er or whatever come here and talk about speed and HP numbers, keep this post in mind, and just smile at their fukin ignorance...

PS Not to downplay your situtation, but I myself didnt know a CL-P[imp] could go that fast either
Old 12-09-2002, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

What is the freaking matter with some of you people?? Over 100 MPH on public streets?? And from a bar yet? Are you all just stupid?

Most of you don't have a clue how to drive and control a car at speeds like that. How many of you 100+ club members have been to a performance driving school? Not to mention the other people on the road and sidewalks. Even in the middle of the night there are others out there just minding their own business.

IF YOU WANT TO RACE, THEN GO TO A RACE TRACK!!!!!!
Old 12-09-2002, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

all i have to say is that YOU ARE LUCKY THEY DIDNT THROW YOU IN JAIL!!!!!!!!!!!

i was caught doing 100 and the state trooper almost cuffed me and told me that they were going to impound my car. lucky for me he got a call and had to leave, but i was still stuck with a ticket.

sidemarker
Old 12-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Balla on a Budget

Originally posted by nate'sCLS
Actually bro i think it is 90! Not pos though.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:24 PM
Banned

CT3.2: Maybe you should put that Cobra radar on the rooftop when it can have clear scans, if you use longer wires it would improve reception too. Ask for a V1 for Christmas bro

Quick Reply: Just got reckless driving yesterday.