Just got in accident, what would YOU do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2001, 03:36 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got in accident, what would YOU do?

Ok, Ok! I know some of you are saying that I cant drive, but this one was NOT my fault.

I am driving 45 down an ave here, see a light, light is GREEN to cross busy intersection. I am on a two lane rd and there are cars in the left lane that were waiting for the light. No one was in my lane. So I proceed through to the intersection, when all of a sudden some STUPID BITCH CUTS OVER TO THE RIGHT LANE WHERE I AM DRIVING TO TURN RIGHT AT THE CORNER! Now, I am doing 45 mph, and this car all of a sudden appears in my lane! I SLAM on my breaks, and pull to the left BTW it is wet outside, so I have no hope! I hit her rear bumper and cause VERY LITTLE DAMMAGE to her car. Meanwhile, my cl-s needs a new fender, headlight, and bumper cover (from what I can visually see) Here's where it gets fucked up.

I get out of the car, and proceed to explain to this lady that she pulled out infront of me, and that I could not stop in time, and slid into her car, All she could say is that she had her blinker, her BLINKER, HER FUCKING BLINKER!!!!! I tell her, DOES TURING ON YOUR BLINKER AUTOMATICALLY TELL ME TO STOP AND ALLOW YOU TO TURN INTO MY LANE??? Hence HER FAULT for pulling out infront of me. She is denying ALL! SHE KEEPS SAYING THAT SHE HAD HER BLINKER ON.she starts telling me that it's my fault, yada yada. I just came back from drinking two beers, have NO INSURANCE on my car because coincidencally I dropped my current insurance to get better, and well, long story, and have a pipe in my car. What would you do? I simply speed away and ensured she did NOT get my plate #.

Some of you might think this was fucked up on my behalf. BUT, mind you! she had NO DAMMAGE to her car(not to mention that is was a POS anyways), and I was the one the "rear ended her" What do you think the COP is gonna do?

What would YOU DO?

go ahead, flame away. Tom, where are ya?

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Jayru ]
Old 07-11-2001, 03:39 AM
White Lightning

Did u stop? or what? U left the scene?
Old 07-11-2001, 03:51 AM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

You should have called the cops and ditched the pipe while they were on their way.

Sorry to hear about this. At least you didn't get hurt.

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: SidVicious ]
Old 07-11-2001, 03:58 AM
Racer

Originally posted by X3.2CLSX:
<STRONG>Did u stop? or what? U left the scene?</STRONG>
Yeah we stopped, the WHOLE TIME I made sure her vehicle/THEM stayed infront of the cars, so I KNEW they could not get the plate. So When they were outside and checking the dammage, I punched it this car is QUICK! I WAS GONE before they knew it! Let alone to remeber my plate

I HAD to do this, I had two beers on my breath with NO INSURANCE! I woul dhave been triple FUCKED! Jail, Suspension of licence, and to pay for her POS car!
Old 07-11-2001, 03:59 AM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

Did you get any of this bitch's info? You should report it.

Otherwise you can call it a hit and run and still call the cops. But that is risky... I say the truth is better than weaving a web of lies. You could get caught very easily. It isn't worth the stress.
Old 07-11-2001, 03:59 AM
Racer

Originally posted by SidVicious:
<STRONG>You should have called the cops and ditched the pipe while they were on their way.

Sorry to hear about this. At least you didn't get hurt.

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: SidVicious ]</STRONG>
No WAY! this pipe means ALOT to me, Have had it for like 5 years! But I know what you mean
Old 07-11-2001, 04:00 AM
Ambidextrous Masturbator

Originally posted by Jayru:
<STRONG>

No WAY! this pipe means ALOT to me, Have had it for like 5 years! But I know what you mean </STRONG>
I guess it must be worth the cost of the damage to your car.
Old 07-11-2001, 04:25 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
As of right now you are guilty of these three things.

1: Hit and Run--Property Damage (A misdemeanor)

2: Failure to Report Accident within 24 Hours (If you don't report it)

3: Failure to Exchange Mandatory Information at Scene of Accident

And depending on you state you probably have to show proof of insurance, which would be another violation.

I had to go to Superior Court here in LA for a VC violation. Anyways there was a young Korean girl there who got convicted of Hit-and-run, she got 72 hrs in county jail, about a $1000 fine and 3 years of probation. Maybe she had prior convictions, but there was no mention of her being on currently on probation. So hit and run is no joke.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to scare you. But this could get serious quickly if she even got a partial on your license plate. So you may want to go to the police station tomorrow and file a report. It may likely turn out that it was her fault, so if you know a lawyer it might be worth a call.
Old 07-11-2001, 04:36 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by SilverSoCal_CL-P:
<STRONG>As of right now you are guilty of these three things.

1: Hit and Run--Property Damage (A misdemeanor)

2: Failure to Report Accident within 24 Hours (If you don't report it)

3: Failure to Exchange Mandatory Information at Scene of Accident

And depending on you state you probably have to show proof of insurance, which would be another violation.

I had to go to Superior Court here in LA for a VC violation. Anyways there was a young Korean girl there who got convicted of Hit-and-run, she got 72 hrs in county jail, about a $1000 fine and 3 years of probation. Maybe she had prior convictions, but there was no mention of her being on currently on probation. So hit and run is no joke.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to scare you. But this could get serious quickly if she even got a partial on your license plate. So you may want to go to the police station tomorrow and file a report. It may likely turn out that it was her fault, so if you know a lawyer it might be worth a call.</STRONG>
I hear ya, but Anytime someone is REAR ended, the person that REARENDED is at fault, automatically. Plus she kept saying that NONONONO I HIT HER! shit, her husband KNEW I was right because he was quiet the whole time. Knew I was right, could see it in his eyes. Believe me, I did the RIGHTIOUS thing, and left. No need for the drama. Plus I got the hookup at the bodyshop. They are gonna hook it up! (for free) all I pay is %30 LESS on the parts from acura!

Ahhh Gotta love it. Even if I DID have insurance, I wouldnot use it for this minor bashing.
Old 07-11-2001, 05:05 AM
Racer

Honestly given the info provided... I think you did the best thing you could have. You are correct that the cops would have probably cited you (since you rear ended her) even though it sounds like it was her fault. Also they probably would have smelled the alcohol on your breath and possibly even searched your car and found your pipe. You broke a lot of laws, but I don't think you did anything morally wrong. You are gonna have to eat the cost of the repair, but had you stayed you probably been in much worse shape monetarily speaking.

Also, be 100% sure they didn't get your plate. Because if they did, you are going to be in big trouble. Hit and run is serious business. I would also try and avoid the scene of the accident for the next few weeks.
Old 07-11-2001, 05:12 AM
Instructor

WOW, there's a new one on me....a pipe more important than doing the right thing....whether or not your were at fault or not...
Old 07-11-2001, 05:20 AM
Race Director

It was your fault. Sorry man, but its the truth. Cops dont care if the husband didnt talk, or if she said blinker, blah blah blah...you rear ended, its your fault.

I would have took off too if their car had LITTLE damage, and it was already a POS.

I just dont understand how they could have not seen your plate...
Old 07-11-2001, 05:28 AM
Racer

Originally posted by amirsafdari:
<STRONG>It was your fault. Sorry man, but its the truth. Cops dont care if the husband didnt talk, or if she said blinker, blah blah blah...you rear ended, its your fault.

I would have took off too if their car had LITTLE damage, and it was already a POS.

I just dont understand how they could have not seen your plate...</STRONG>
Actually it is illegal to make lane changes at an intersection... Of course it would be hard to prove that is what happend. It really does sound like it was the other drivers fault, she should have checked her mirrors before changing lanes. Signaling alone doesn't give you right of way.
Old 07-11-2001, 05:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by beestea:
<STRONG>

Actually it is illegal to make lane changes at an intersection... Of course it would be hard to prove that is what happend. It really does sound like it was the other drivers fault, she should have checked her mirrors before changing lanes. Signaling alone doesn't give you right of way.</STRONG>

Actually I don't believe that there is a specific law in the Veichal Code that does not allow for lane changes in an intersection.
http://detnews.com/2000/commuting/00...c08-151003.htm

Plus this accident happend before entering the intersection.
Old 07-11-2001, 05:48 AM
Pro

Call DMV in the morning and tell them that the plates off of you car got stolen........just in case they saw it.
Old 07-11-2001, 05:56 AM
Racer

<STRONG>

Actually I don't believe that there is a specific law in the Veichal Code that does not allow for lane changes in an intersection.
http://detnews.com/2000/commuting/00...c08-151003.htm

Plus this accident happend before entering the intersection.</STRONG>

Have you ever noticed that as you are approaching most intersections lane markers change to solid lines? I am pretty sure this means that lane changes would be illegal any where they are solid.
Old 07-11-2001, 06:13 AM
Three Wheelin'

if you hit her from the rear its your fault. if she did something wrong, you wouldnt have hit her from the rear, but from the side

your an idiot for taking off. she had a POS, you shoulda told her to forget about it and she probably would have agreed. im sure they got your plates if they wanted to

no insurance is pretty smart too
Old 07-11-2001, 06:16 AM
Racer

<STRONG>

Have you ever noticed that as you are approaching most intersections lane markers change to solid lines? I am pretty sure this means that lane changes would be illegal any where they are solid.</STRONG>
I found some hard facts to back this up. At least in Virginia. Check this URL:
http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/manual/sec-2.pdf

"Solid white lines
designate turn lanes and
prevent lane changes near
intersections. Solid white
lines also mark the right
edge of pavement. Arrows
used with white lines
indicate which turn may be
made from the lane. Stop
lines, crosswalks and
parking spaces also are
marked by white lines."

Taken from section 2-10
Old 07-11-2001, 06:26 AM
Racer

Originally posted by mr tl:
<STRONG>if you hit her from the rear its your fault. if she did something wrong, you wouldnt have hit her from the rear, but from the side

</STRONG>
Thats not true at all. You have just the exact attitude I would expect from the cop that would have reported to the scene had the police been called.

Think about it like this. The posted speed is 35 or whatever. You are going 40. Approaching an intersection, you have a clear lane ahead of you. The light turns from red to green so you don't slow down. About 25 yards ahead of you someone that was at a complete standstill pulls out from the lane they were in, into your lane. You slam on your brakes but because the road is wet you hit them. In the time that you were braking that person has completly pulled out of their lane and into yours. So based on those facts you are saying because you hit her square on in the rear it is your fault? I know if I was in that situation I sure as hell wouldn't feel like it was my fault. I didn't break any laws. More than likely the turning lanes had solid white lines. If this was the case then the other driver was actually the one who broke a law, and to add to that obviously didn't check their mirrors before changing lanes.

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: beestea ]
Old 07-11-2001, 06:26 AM
Advanced

jayru, if there were a line of cars waiting at the light on your right before the lady pulled out in front of you, there's a possiblity that at least one of the people in those vehicles remembered your license plate number. i'm not sure what you should do, but you may want to keep that in mind.

what's up with driving a $30k car without insurance. crazy IMO....
Old 07-11-2001, 06:43 AM
Moderator Alumnus

<STRONG>

Thats not true at all. You have just the exact attitude I would expect from the cop that would have reported to the scene had the police been called.

Think about it like this. The posted speed is 35 or whatever. You are going 40. Approaching an intersection, you have a clear lane ahead of you. The light turns from red to green so you don't slow down. About 25 yards ahead of you someone that was at a complete standstill pulls out from the lane they were in, into your lane. You slam on your brakes but because the road is wet you hit them. In the time that you were braking that person has completly pulled out of their lane and into yours. So based on those facts you are saying because you hit her square on in the rear it is your fault? I know if I was in that situation I sure as hell wouldn't feel like it was my fault. I didn't break any laws. More than likely the turning lanes had solid white lines. If this was the case then the other driver was actually the one who broke a law, and to add to that obviously didn't check their mirrors before changing lanes.

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: beestea ]</STRONG>

mr tl is right. Legally the person that hits someone from behind is at fault. His front hit her rear. End of case.

Now, it may be found that negligence on the part of the woman contributed to the accident (perhaps 10-20%) and that may affect the insurance claim by the woman, but that does not justify hit and run in the eyes of the law.

Just because someone contributes to an accident does not mean you can leave the scene and avoid your responsibility.

Like I said, I'm not trying to scare Jayru, but this could become serious.
Old 07-11-2001, 06:49 AM
Racer

<STRONG>

mr tl is right. Legally the person that hits someone from behind is at fault. His front hit her rear. End of case.

Now, it may be found that negligence on the part of the woman contributed to the accident (perhaps 10-20%) and that may affect the insurance claim by the woman, but that does not justify hit and run in the eyes of the law.

Just because someone contributes to an accident does not mean you can leave the scene and avoid your responsibility.

Like I said, I'm not trying to scare Jayru, but this could become serious.</STRONG>
I still don't agree with you about the rear end situation. I can think of at least 10 scenarios where it wouldn't make sense to have the person who rear ended someone else be responsible at all. Anyhow, I know that is the easy route to take tho, blame the person who hit, not the person that got hit. And again that probably is what the officer would have done.

As far as the hit and run, its illegal wether its your fault or not. So if someone got his plates he is screwed either way.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:02 AM

Dude, you are totally fucked. I hate to say it, but you have no guarantees that no one got your plate.

Do this, since you've already dug yourself in a hole, ditch your license plates, call DMV, and say they were stolen.
THEN, they have no way of linking you to any of this.

OTHERWISE, keeping the plates could make you a sitting duck later on. PLUS, without insurance its going to cost a FORTUNE to get your car fixed....The parts are OUTRAGEOUSLY high, as with any recently manufactured car.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:19 AM
Three Wheelin'

beestea, i WISH you were right.

i know what im talking about, its happened to me. its very rare when someone hits another car from the rear and its not his/her fault
Old 07-11-2001, 09:24 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by TypeSKid:
<STRONG>Dude, you are totally fucked. I hate to say it, but you have no guarantees that no one got your plate.

Do this, since you've already dug yourself in a hole, ditch your license plates, call DMV, and say they were stolen.

OTHERWISE, keeping the plates could make you a sitting duck later on. PLUS, without insurance its going to cost a FORTUNE to get your car fixed....The parts are OUTRAGEOUSLY high, as with any recently manufactured car.</STRONG>
Hehe this is the funniest of 'em all.

No, I am NOT fucked, because No one got my 1 tag number. Period. Secondly, As stated before, I have a HOOK-UP in the Auto body business. (Two actually, one of 'em is working on a ground effects kit for us)

What made me leave the scene? when I realized that this BITCH was lieing through her teeth, and I KNEW, JUST KNEW the cop would have believed her over me. So I KNEW I was FUCKED, by that ALONE!

I did not hit her square in the rear end. My passengerside headlamp/corner of my car is what hit her. Hell, my grill is PERFECT! just my pass. headlamp and fender is fucked.

So some of you are saying that is is alright for someone at a DEAD STOP to throw on their blinker snd cut across one lane of traffic to make a right-hand turn at the intersection? (Remember she waas in the left traveling lane waiting in a line of cars, where she darted out from).

All this bitch had to say was "I don't know, he just hit me." When in REALITY, she pulled out infront of me while I was traveling 40+ in MY RIGHT GOD DAMM LANE, to make a right hanbd turn.

Ahhh, fuck her, she probably did not have any insurance either. Either way, I ain't scared.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:27 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by TypeSKid:
<STRONG>

.</STRONG>
Hehe I like this idea. People are always steeling plates down here.
Old 07-11-2001, 09:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,453 Likes on 3,770 Posts
you are truly a lawless idiot. If you took off on me I'd hire an investigator to comb the area for witnesses-that shit about the pipe only confirms my suspicions.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:06 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Based on the description of the damage (corner of the car) and witnesses, the accident might have been ruled as fault of both drivers – therefore take care of your own claims. Jayru2 should have been driving a more cautiously (in the rain, approaching stopped traffic). The lady should have not pulled out. In your state, what she did might have been illegal and she would be at total fault, I don’t know.

My friend clobbered a person from the rear once. The guy was broken down in the slow lane of the freeway, around a blind curve. He had his hood up, working on the car, ON THE FREEWAY and there was a shoulder to pull onto. My friend came from behind; slammed on her brakes, hit the car in the rear. The guy was hit by his own car and thrown in the air. No serious injuries. But, my friend was at fault for not avoiding the car. The guy was at fault for not making a proper emergency stop and a few other things. Both drivers equally at fault - fix your own car/injuries. My friend has big lawsuit now, though.

Jayru2
Glad to hear nothing serious. Hard to say what I would have done in your situation – so I won’t criticize or praise. People who hate need to need to look at themselves. We all break the rules/laws once and a while. You were in a bad situation (beer, insurance, pipe) and used your best judgment to make the best decision for you at the time. If people can’t realize that, don’t bother with them. Hope everything works out.

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: Bluto ]
Old 07-11-2001, 10:12 AM
Intermediate

I think beestea is right about lane changes
at an intersection. someone did the same thing to me but i was able to avoid an accident. luckily a cop saw what happened
and pulled the kid over. i think he was ticketed for his stupidity. i know other people who were in similiar situations. it all boils down to witnesses that would lie.
she beats you! you should count youself lucky no cops were around. you would have been fried for no insurance. hope they didn't get your plate...
Old 07-11-2001, 10:35 AM
JZ
Three Wheelin'

Firstly, you are the one who put yourself in this situation by not having insurance etc. Most likely if there was no damage to her car you could have just made a deal with her on the spot to pay cash.

Secondly, don't report your plates stolen. All that does is make one more link in the chain of evidence back to your car. Do you really think if they got your tag and the cops come to find you today that she isn't going to remember your face or your car? That's probably the stupidest idea I've heard yet. Doing that would also then get you into trouble for making a false report.

Anyways, all you can do now is wait. It's either going to happen or it's not and right now you have no control over that at all.

I'm glad you didn't run into me b/c I would've chased your ass down, got your plates and had you busted just on principle.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:47 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

If it is not illegal to not have insurace; You could call the police today, report the accident, say you gave her your info, had somewhere important to go, and left (forgetful of getting her info).

If you don't have insurace, and that is illegal, don't call.

It will be your word against hers as to the actual events.

BTW - the stolen plates thing is a bad idea if she can ID you.

Old 07-11-2001, 11:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Damn man, alcohol could of played a factor and could of slowed down your reaction time. (atleast that's waht ASAP got me thinking after they brain washed me.)

Oh and I don't know about other stated but in VA making a lane change at an intersection is illegal. Also the solid white lines before a stop light is a guiding line telling you if you have enough time to run a redlight or not. For instance if you look at a solid whiteline near a stoplight at a hill the line will be very short, meaning don't run it. and if you look on a local road that is 45mph and see the white line it will be pretty long. In my traffic school they told me as long as your front wheel is in part of the solid white line you are better to go on yellow than stop. This is coming from a State Instructor at Fairfax county court.
Old 07-11-2001, 12:00 PM
2nd Gear

Originally posted by Jayru:
<STRONG>

No WAY! this pipe means ALOT to me, Have had it for like 5 years! But I know what you mean </STRONG>

Save the pipe! No man I know what you mean. I rear ended a lady about 2 yrs ago in my 98 CL. She was driving a minivan (of course) and there was a stalled car in front of her. Since you can't see infront of those fucken things, and I'm sure she was busy applying some vadge creame, slamed on her brakes and I put a little scratch on her bumper. We got out and she said "Everything's fine, I'm ok, it's ok" sooo it took that as a see ya later thing. So I took off. 1 hour later a cops knocking at my door with the dumb bitch. Claiming Hit and Run. Man I hope you get of clean... you would for sure have gotten the shaft, and still might.

/"Don't trust what bleeds for 7 days and doesn't die"

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: TheCCLS ]
Old 07-11-2001, 12:18 PM
Banned

Man - this is one WHACKED thread... first off, who was it that said there's nothing morally wrong? That's whacked too! Granted, you should have insurance. That story about paying too much is BS - it takes all of 5 seconds to get insurance unless your driving record sucks.

And don't report your plates stolen - think about it... if they DID get your tag #, and they say "yeah - it was a XXXXX acura!" then some cop's gonna go - hmm... the NEXT day he reports the tags stolen and they said it was a XXXXX acura... HMMMMM!"

I guess since you're in this situation, all you can do is hope it doesn't come back to ya. Also granted that she SHOULDN'T have pulled out in front of you - blinker or not... just be thankful that you and she are both OK and mark it up to experience and GET SOME INSURANCE.
Old 07-11-2001, 12:38 PM
Racer

Oh Boy................shit gets deeper and deeper. WTF you doing driving with pipe in your car?? NEVER!! Stupid, especially after beers. Well, now that you've "left the scene" you just better lay low and hope this doesn't find its way back to you, or you are in serious shit my friend. That's 2 for you.
Maybe get a slower car?? Not to say I haven't done some stupid things, but good rule of thumb is never carry paraphernalia in vehicle.................
Old 07-11-2001, 12:45 PM
Safety Car

Bit late to this discussion but still.

Here is some thoughts. For one thing, it's not the cop that decides whos fault it was, but rather the insurance company. The cop just writes a report and the insurance company decides the fault based on the report. Since you left the scene, she has really no proof that you were there, unless she can gather witnesses which is unlikely, therefore you can deny everything, including ever seeing this woman. However, police would want to see your car, I am not sure how this applies to search warrants, but I would think they need to get one before doing any legal searches. Maybe you should go ahead, drive the car to a body shop and start the repair. Running was not the best option, but you are here now so deal with this situation. I really think that it's unlikely that this woman would go after you, unless there is major damage here, which there isn't. Dont bother ditching your plates, way too suspicious, better way is to put the car into a body shop and start the repair. Get a rental.
Old 07-11-2001, 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

you are totally wrong and f-in irresponsible. you are a road menace.high,beer,no insurance, leaving the scene of an accident. nobody here should side with you and make you feel better about yourself. i do not want to meet up with you (or someone like you) "by accident". with everyone here that has had accidents, i have never read that someone ran away on them. if that happened to one "of us" we would say, man that's bad, you should go get the f-er.put yourself in their position.
i don't think anyone here should encourage or condone this type of b/s. and yes, i am the father of teenagers. if you were my kid, i would turn you in to the police myself.
Old 07-11-2001, 01:06 PM
Old timer

I hate dumb drivers who pull shit like that - cutting across lanes right after making a left turn to get into that set of lanes, especially when you have the right of way.

-J
Old 07-11-2001, 01:15 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 642 Likes on 284 Posts
you have to be in control of your vehicle at all times...that includes being able to stop if someone cuts in front of you...
you didn't...you hit her....it's your fault...trust...
the fact that you're driving without insurance is just plain retarded...what are you thinking??? in Canada that's a minimum $5000 fine...

grow up dude....take some responsibility...
Old 07-11-2001, 01:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Did you by any chance honk your horn at her?

If some bitch does that to me I hold the horn down until they move out or chase them down w/ my horn on.

Quick Reply: Just got in accident, what would YOU do?