Just filled out a JD Power review

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 02:26 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just filled out a JD Power review

I just received my JD Power & Associates survey and filled it out. They include a fresh brand-spankin'-new $1 bill for your troubles. Hmmm, how shall I spend it?...

I purchased my 2003 CL-S Six Speed in mid-April and now have 2957 miles on in. I've been using it as a daily driver for short commutes to work (about 8-10 miles each way) and a few trips to NYC, Hershey, and Atlantic City.

Overall I gave the car a 9. The survey gives plenty of questions about what you like and what you don't like, what works and what doesn't work.

The negatives:
  1. Excessive oil consumption - hopefully this is a temporary problem. I noticed the oil was down 1/2 quart at 1500 miles and was down a full quart at 2500 miles. I added a quart at 2500 miles. There doesn't seem to be anymore consumption. There is a noticeable (maybe 1/4 quart!) difference in the level between checking the oil five minutes after the engine is off and 12 hours after the engine is off (the level is higher when the engine is warmer) -- I may be 1/4 quart in error of the consumption estimation. I'm going to get my first oil changed at 3750, FWIW.
  2. Wind noise - very minor issue near driver door. I'll let the dealer know when I bring it in for the oil change.
  3. Paint - there are a couple of microbubbles in the paint that I've only noticed after paying close attention to the finish when Zaino'ing. One would never notice this from a few feet back, but you can feel them - almost like a micro grain of sand is under the paint. There are only a few of these in various places around the car.
  4. Interior Molding - once again, very minor. I only noticed when detailing the inside. The molding around the rear side windows comes loose quite easily. There is also one spot near the rear seat left that the carpet edge is ever so slightly pulled back from the molding.
The positives:
  1. Engine/Transmission - the car has power when I need it. The six speed took some getting used to - this is a really fun car to drive. For a luxury sport coupe, it has nice power off the line and nice passing ability.
  2. Suspension/Handling - I think that for a stock luxury car, this CL-S handles great. I know improvements can be made, but I'm very happy with the stock set-up. I am guessing that Acura made some compromises with luxury vs. sports set-up in giving the CL-S somewhat narrowed tires and a higher profile then what most of us want. This will be easy to fix though, as most of you have proven. I realize that this is a luxury sport coupe, not a sports car.
    The LSD must be good - I have not had any problems with serious torque steering.
  3. Electronics - once again, for a stock system I am very happy with the quality of the audio, navigation, and OnStar systems. The integration of these three systems is absolutely fantastic. The ergonomics is great (thanks to steering wheel controls). I know that this Bose system is a second rate system at best, but for stock I am very happy (and like others I also know what 'good' sounds like - I used to custom build vacuum tube audio amps as a hobby and you oughta see my home theatre system!). I probably will not replace it (as I've done in my prior cars) but some day I may upgrade the speakers and amps.
  4. Cockpit ergonomics - I like (but I would have preferred the tach in the center of the cluster as opposed to the side).
  5. Comfort - the seats are comfy and hold me in well. Memory controls are nice.
  6. Heating/Cooling - absolutely great! It cools and warms with ease. The automatic control is great (separate driver/passenger controls would have been better). Heated seats and side mirrors are great for the winter.
  7. Uniqueness of looks - yes, I like.

For price value, I gave the car a 4 out of 10, but that reflects my personal bias. I don't think that there is any car on or off the road that is worth its price. I don't think any car is 'worth' over a few $1000 (and I don't think the average compact Ford or Toyota is worth more then a few $100), but the market obviously doesn't agree with me.

I gave the dealer and purchase experience a 2 out of 10 because he was a typical slimeball that knew almost nothing about the car. He attempted a couple tried and true sales tactics that I was wise to. I had to use my tried and true buying tactic twice until we negotiated the price (I got up, thanked him for his time, said no, and walked away). Unless there is no negotiation necessary (fixed and fair pricing) then a dealer would probaby never get above a 5 for me. Once again, my personal bias is showing. Dealer prep (probably an Acura Professional Detailer like bdheilig) included the installation of a few coating swirls that I'll probably have Z5 deal with at some point.

There were very few features included in a list that I would want to be included in this car. They asked if I wanted things like satellite radio, third row seating, rear view camera system and the like. I wasn't that interested. The only things I checked yes for (on the list, mind you) was an all wheel drive system and improved safety items like side curtain air bags. They asked if I'd like to see an Automatic Transmission included for this car!

I said that overall I was very happy and I would wholeheartedly recommend this car to another purchaser. I think that I got a good product of better then average quality (assuming the oil consumption is really halting).
Old 07-14-2002, 02:35 PM
Duck Fuke!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i just got mine too ...............crispy new dollar and all....................4 out of 10 for value ..........thats pretty sorry...........would you give a kia rio a 10
Old 07-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Where is my super sauce?

No a Kia Rio would get a zero, negative value if there was that option.

A car like that, in my mind, is 'worth' about $100. I'm sure they run above $10K.

[stands on soapbox]I remember the first time I saw a Ford Fiesta. I laughed for about an hour. I just couldn't get through my head that someone had paid more then about $50 for that sardine can with a lawnmower engine. The Geo Metro also entertained me for a while. I think Homer Simpson did a better job with that mattress and a few wagen wheels!

In 'my' world cars would be cost in the $100's to $1000's, not 10's or 100's of $1,000.

I think that automobiles are WAY overpriced. The increase in cost seems to have overshadowed increases in per capita salary, etc. Look, we're buying outdated technology made with cheaply produced materials (steel, plastic, some copper wiring, rubber!). The thing is not built to last - how long does the average car last? 10 years if you baby it? Hell, washing machines and refrigerators last 20 - 30 years and you just leave them plugged in!

I've said it before - I'll say it again: automobiles are built like crap!. Internal combustion - contained little explosions that move metal pistons up and down! You have to put oil in it to keep it from falling apart. 100 years ago that was pretty cool, but now it seems pretty hokey. Doesn't that bother anyone? Where's the nuclear reactors for autos? Where's the transport system they use on Star Trek? How about the tube system they used on Futurama? I've been pondering that one for years.

I know why there hasn't been progress in new technology - nobody cares. I don't care either. I like my car. I like the sound of the 'purring' engine. I don't want a stupid electric sardine can that has zero power and only runs 100 miles between recharges. I rather worry about an ocassionaly oil spill that kills a few seals and birds then mini-nuclear meltdowns in every driveway.

I just think that we're spending too much for outdated technology. Like everything else, it should be cheaper as we progress, not get more expensive.
[/steps off soapbox]

Alas, 'my' world doesn't exist and I have to roam with you guys and spend $30K+ for a decent automobile.
Old 07-14-2002, 04:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the JD Power survey too.
The DOLLAR BILL is in my wallet, but I haven’t gotten around to filling out the survey yet.
I guess I’ll have to fill out a 10 for PRICE VALUE to counteract that unwarranted 4 given by Slimey.

I have one from Acura that needs attention too.
I’ve already done a few over the phone, but they sent me another in the mail.

Shawn S
Old 07-14-2002, 05:46 PM
Where is my super sauce?

I suppose it has to do with my personal defination of value.

I've always been a hard grader. I don't give out 10 out of 10 scores easily. I have this innate feeling that a lower grade will result in improved effort and acheivement, likewise a perfect grade represents the pinnacle of acheivement without room for improvement. As I said in the first statement, this represents my own personal bias.

As I said before, my bias towards the auto's value extends to all manufacturers, not just Acura/Honda.

Sell the CL-S for $5000, give me a year's worth of gas, throw in a lifetime warranty and routine maintenance. Now that is 10 out of 10 value.

IMHO, YMMV...
Old 07-14-2002, 06:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

A Dollar, that sucks, they sent me a 5 spot
Old 07-14-2002, 08:08 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

Did you ever think that too many negative replys will downgrade your car's future resale value. I think so and that's why I gave it a perfect 10.

For a stinkin' dollar they want truth?
Old 07-14-2002, 09:32 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Klamalama
Did you ever think that too many negative replys will downgrade your car's future resale value.
No, I hadn't thought of that - I suppose that's a good point.

I have no intention of reselling the car, so for me this is a moot point (it seems I like to keep cars until 'death do us part').

I'm sure my single low value 'vote' will do nothing to change the overall global perception of Acura products - and as I said, I gave the car a 9.
Old 08-03-2002, 04:22 PM
CL fanatic

i didn't get money for filling out the survey. but i live in canada..
Old 08-03-2002, 04:46 PM
Capo di Tutti Capi

When are you guys going to figure it out?

These surveys have a direct connection to the public perception of your vehicle. It will help your future resale value to give only superlative responses.

Honesty is for suckers.

Knock the dealers but don't knock the car.

If you want to discuss problems and solutions then this is the right forum. JD Powers is getting you to spill your guts for a measly $1. What cheap whores you are!