Jiffy Lube (filed complaint) Semi-long w/ cliff notes.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
Jiffy Lube (filed complaint) Semi-long w/ cliff notes.

Before I get flamed on for going there in the first place, I usually go to my dealership to get my oil changed. I just had a lot going today and didnt wanna drive 45 min away for an oil change.

So they pull my car into the bay. Get out. 2 guys are asking me what kind of radio I had and what kind of system I have in the back. I said, "uhh what makes you think I have a system?" He said, "I dont know, I saw your radio and assumed".

So the guy underneath my car is telling the guy in my car to keep stopped after they were done changing my oil. The guy inside the car laughs, puts it in drive and inches up a little to mess with the guy. The guy underneath is like, "stop, dont do that".

Then the guy inside my car is playing with my radio, and I told him to stop and he gives me a look like I said something wrong.

So he pulls it out of the bay, I go to pay and notice on the receipt it says 5W 30 is what they put in. I call acura and they said that it was ok. So I get into my car, notice the windshield sticker shows my next oil change, which was typed out wrong. It was a 20k mile difference.

I also noticed, they didnt check the oil level after filling it. Usually they check the dipstick to check the level.....nope.

In conclusion, I filed a complaint with corporate and the owner of the shop is suppose to call me in 48-72 hrs. Fucking bullshit!! Will never go back there again.

Cliffnotes:
-2 guys asking what kind of radio and system I have
-guy inside my car is playing around inching my car up when the guy underneath said not to move the car.
-guy in the car was playing with my radio after i told him to stop
-put in the wrong oil
-mileage sticker was off by 20k miles
-they didnt check the oil level by the dipstick
-I filed a complaint with corporate.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:58 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
assholes. Speaking of which, I need to get an oil change... ;(
Old 11-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I've been getting my oil changed at a local place... they seem to have there shit together better then some of the franchise oil change places...
Old 11-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Above n Beyond

ya I have gone to other places outside of Acura in the past and was fine. Unfortunately lightning struck me in the ass this time and now I want something to be done about this. Not only because they were dicks with my car, but so they dont act like this with other customers. I was so heated when I left there.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:17 PM
Never had a clean run

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, that's fucked. Watch, all they're gonna give you is a credit for next time, LOL.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:56 PM
Above n Beyond

it will surprise me if I get anything at all, but I just want something to be done so that this doesnt happen to anybody else.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:13 PM
What to do, what to think

I hate jiffy-lube....I used to work there when I was 17...sucks ass man.....they only paid me $6.50/hr for changing oil. I quit after a month...thank god. sorry about your experiences with them....hope you'll get something out of it when your compliant goes smooth
Old 11-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
sucks man, im in and out at jiffy lube, they treat my car nicely especially since its lowered, they take extreme car getting it in and out. yea its kind of a skeptical place, but the guys dont mess around. you had a bad experience, sorry to hear it.
Old 11-06-2005, 09:34 PM
10th Gear

I would avoid JL like the plague...I've heard many cases where they forgot to re-lube the engine. Happened to guy a biked with. He drove for a block and his truck just shut down. Sure enough, no oil in the engine.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:51 PM

I guess its all about the mangement or the employees.....so its probably skeptical
Old 11-07-2005, 02:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Let's assume you do have a system in your car. All these guys need to do is get a person in the office to give them your address and you'll have some night visitors to 'relieve' you of it.
Old 11-07-2005, 03:45 AM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I say stop whining. If you want it done right do it yourself.

Going to the dealership for oil changes
Old 11-07-2005, 07:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We've talked about JL before. I'll never go there.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:27 AM
V-tak Yoo

if you want to have things done and not have to worry about it go to a local shop. talk with the people that work there. be nice dont be a dick about things. treat them as your friend not some guy working on your car. i work in a shop and trust me this goes a long way. i treat everyone's car like i would my own. one more thing is that if you are able to watch the work being done. be cool about it. dont nit pick the work. find someone that you are comfortable with and have only them work on your car. trust me this will go a long way.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:43 AM
Above n Beyond

Originally Posted by Joe5.0
I say stop whining. If you want it done right do it yourself.

Going to the dealership for oil changes
i'm not whining but when you are a professional business, all i ask for is to act like it. They had rap music playing in the backround and they were rapping to it. It's not a focking playground. Do your job!! You get paid to change oil and treat your customers the right way. Whether or not I take it to JL or not, you're there for the people. Without us, there's no business.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:30 AM
Team Owner

Received 601 Likes on 418 Posts
I used to take mine in to a similar place all the time until I moved. I started doing it myself when it's warm, or when I have time. But when I'm in a rush, I take it to a little, private mechanic near work. I drop my car off in the morning, with the oil and filter. He charges me a whole $5 bill, and a cup of coffee to get it done. And most of all, I trust that he does a good job.

I recommend that everyone find a local place that is trust-worthy that can do quick stuff like this.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:49 AM
Above n Beyond

well I talked to the owner of that specific place. The usual, "i'm sorry, it will never happen again bullshit". He offered a free oil change for the next time, and I told him that I will never be back there again. I'm going to go in and see if I can get my money back and leave it at that.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UNCTYPE-S
well I talked to the owner of that specific place. The usual, "i'm sorry, it will never happen again bullshit". He offered a free oil change for the next time, and I told him that I will never be back there again. I'm going to go in and see if I can get my money back and leave it at that.
ONLY ONE?! Damn that guy should of at least offered ya 3 free oil changes. You wouldn't of taken them anyways, but at least it would of showed true contrition on his part.

Good luck on getting your money though. Better chance of getting hit by lightning I'm thinkin.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Above n Beyond

^^well it didnt rain, and I didnt get struck by lightning. My dad went over to the place along with a copy of the receipt I faxed him, and gave him the money with no problems. I was at work that is why i didnt go. He agreed in the first place to give me my money back. All in all....dissatisfied customer + free oil change = never going back.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Advanced

no offense to people who work at jiffys flube, but a monkey could work there. they dont care about anyhing, other then annoying and upsaleing you on products. they sold one of my friends wife, "4x4 oil" cuz she drove a suburban, and apparently she needed it, husband was pissed, and went back and complained, and got his money back, it is more convenient to go there, i give them that, but i just change my own oil.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Above n Beyond

Well I spoke to the owner of the shop today and he said that the only reason it seemed to be out of hand was because he was on vacation. I was a little suspicious to see all this going on with my car, then dancing around like wildabeasts to rap music in the backround. It all makes sense now that they wouldnt be doing those things had a manager been around. I did not see an assistant manager either.

Oh well. I got what I wanted out of it, learned my lesson, and will never go back, nor refer anyone to them.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:50 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UNCTYPE-S
Well I spoke to the owner of the shop today and he said that the only reason it seemed to be out of hand was because he was on vacation. I was a little suspicious to see all this going on with my car, then dancing around like wildabeasts to rap music in the backround. It all makes sense now that they wouldnt be doing those things had a manager been around. I did not see an assistant manager either.

Oh well. I got what I wanted out of it, learned my lesson, and will never go back, nor refer anyone to them.
Sweet you got your money back. Usually it's near impossible to get them to let go of that money.

I'm all about smaller shops that you know the mechanics there. If anyone knows of a good one in San Diego or San Marcos (Cali not TX.) let me know....
Old 11-08-2005, 09:11 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I would recommend checking the drain plug to make sure it's tight, or not too tight. And the filter, too. Who knows what else they screwed up on?

And yeah, one of my friends used to work at Jiffy Lube and he got disgusted with the stupidity and negligence, so he quit.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Above n Beyond

I will be sure to check a lot of things when I get out of work today. The situation still gets me aggrivated. Oh well. If they were to break into my garage and steal something, they just messed with the wrong family (dad's best friends with the mayor, mom works for the police dept, uncle is a judge).
Old 11-08-2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I would recommend checking the drain plug to make sure it's tight, or not too tight. And the filter, too. Who knows what else they screwed up on?

And yeah, one of my friends used to work at Jiffy Lube and he got disgusted with the stupidity and negligence, so he quit.
thats exactly why quit also when used to work at JL back in the day...it was like the worst job I've ever had just get some automotive experience but after that I worked at a dealership and it was awesome as an apprentice tech.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:51 PM
TQ > MPG

You girls need to learn how to change it yourself, you call them dumb monkeys but are afraid to do it yourself??
Old 11-08-2005, 07:31 PM
Above n Beyond

^real mature. Look, I go to place to change my oil, I expect them to change my oil. Whether I can do it or not, if I choose to bring it somewhere I expect it done the right way. End of story.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:46 PM
TQ > MPG

I agree, but why put yourself at the mercy of people who dont care about your car as much as you do, especially something as important as engine oil.

My point is that complaining about a $20 oil change is like complaining about something you bought at the dollar store, you usually get what you pay for. Not happy? Best way to get back is to never go back. I dunno I feel that writing letters, complaining a ton, and basically being amazed that you got bad service does no good, and is just wasting more of your time. If the shop really is that bad it will never get any return customers and will be closed sooner rather than later anyways.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:25 AM
2015 RDX Base

Originally Posted by Joe5.0
I agree, but why put yourself at the mercy of people who dont care about your car as much as you do, especially something as important as engine oil.

My point is that complaining about a $20 oil change is like complaining about something you bought at the dollar store, you usually get what you pay for. Not happy? Best way to get back is to never go back. I dunno I feel that writing letters, complaining a ton, and basically being amazed that you got bad service does no good, and is just wasting more of your time. If the shop really is that bad it will never get any return customers and will be closed sooner rather than later anyways.
Because some of us, namely Jim and I do not have the time to change our own oil. I used to, that was back when I was 18 and did not have a serious job. Not saying the people that change their own (Joe5.0) don’t have a serious job, but I know for me there is just not enough time in the day as it is. Even the hour it takes Acura to change my oil, and wash my car (which I stopped letting them do because they left terrible swirls marks) is too long. I have mine changed by one of the well known and trusted mechanics at our dealerships while I'm working.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:38 AM
2015 RDX Base

By the way Jim, I'm sorry to hear about what happened, but glad everything worked out. Hope the manager puts them in their place, or lets them go for acting like a bunch of halfwitted assclowns.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:14 AM
Missing my Acura's

I went too jiffylube once with my girl and witnessed the dicks having an oil fight around customers cars.I go too my mechanic and toss him 20$ and call it a day.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:43 AM
TQ > MPG

I work 70-80 hrs/week midnights and still change my own oil and do all my maintenance myself. If you dont have an extra 1/2 hr every 3 months then maybe you need to free up your schedule a little bit.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:40 AM
Above n Beyond

Case and point. They did not do their job. I wasnt going to let them get away with it. I received my money back. End of story. I learned my lesson and will move on now knowing to take the extra 45 min out of my day to drive out to someone I can trust.

Larry-good to hear from ya man.