Jens: Throttle Body Porting - What's Your Opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2001, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jens: Throttle Body Porting - What's Your Opinion?

Jens,
Would throttle body porting on the CL-S increase throttle response and broad range power? Based on engine displacement vs. current throttle body intake size, is there room for improvement or is it already well matched to the 2nd stage induction/engine displacement for this engine?

BTW, I'm running CAI and Headers -

Thanks in advance for your help!

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Parchment
AEM CAI
Comptech Headers
Old 04-08-2001, 03:10 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mint Julip,this is a good question but I am going think this one over as I am a mechanic and not an engineer.In theory anything you can do to increase the amount of air your engine can ingest is considered a good thing so an enlarged throttle body seems like a good idea and probably is.But notice I say "probably".As you may know your intake plenum is really more like two different intakes that can be selected with a moveable door.This is done so that vtec lobes on the cams can be used efficiently.In order to have this stuff work well part of the deal is that the speed of the intake charge is set to take advantage of some degree of ram tuning.If you change the diameter of the intake or the throttle body you will begin to change what the engineers tried to accomplish.By enlarging ports etc. it is possible to slow down the airflow in the plenum which changes the point at which maximum power is achieved and may also change how responsive the engine is to throttle application.
When you start to try porting polishing etc. I would suggest you take a cautious approach and make small changes and see if the effort was worth it.I am sure that there are power gains to be had,but like I said I am a mechanic not an engineer so how much is too much? In this case I would want to ask someone who has more experience than I do.Jens

------------------
1992 mazda Miata lowered with Eibach springs KYB AGX adjustable struts Sparco racing buckets 4 point safety harnesses Momo steering wheel lo profile headlite system with PIAA superwhite bulbs Custom audio system Custom gauges Jackson racing supercharger with header and Greddy cat back exhaust and a ton of other stuff 2000 Honda Civic on APEX coilovers Full Alpine Audio system factory fogs with Piaa bulbs Catz ZETA high beam headlamp system H.I.D. Xenon low beam tinted, custom taillites and on and on
Old 04-08-2001, 07:25 PM
Instructor

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mint Julip:
Jens,
Would throttle body porting on the CL-S increase throttle response and broad range power? Based on engine displacement vs. current throttle body intake size, is there room for improvement or is it already well matched to the 2nd stage induction/engine displacement for this engine?

BTW, I'm running CAI and Headers -

Thanks in advance for your help!

</font>
This motor had prooved very sensitive to air volume/speed changes in the plenum. The torque is the major sacrifice as is HP below 4000 RPM. Be careful. A 68mm Holley (+1mm) generated 3HP up top but lost 10HP at 3000 RPM and torque was down a similar percentage. The only volume change to the manifold was a 5/8" adapter plate to facilitate the Holley. Not a good investment. To apply these gains/losses in a street race would have the stock car running away from the modded car in acceleration.

Old 04-08-2001, 08:32 PM
Intermediate

Guys,

Thanks for your input - My gut feeling was that it wouldn't be a simple mod with clear results.

I'd like to know if anyone has tried this, and what their results were -

------------------
01 CL-S Black/Parchment
AEM CAI
Comptech Headers