Jens H. and others

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 03:53 PM
Best D-Line in the NFL

Location: Gainesville, Fl for college, Palm Beach Gardens, Fl at Home
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jens H. and others

What do you think about the guy in the transmission forum who says hes an acura tech and that the tranny fluid should not be flushed because the tranny's blow 4k miles after a flush. I just got mine flushed at 13k, so Im hoping hes full of shit.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:18 PM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BS! Dealers do flush the tranny.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:21 PM
-S namyaC-

Re: Jens H. and others

Originally posted by Renegade
What do you think about the guy in the transmission forum who says hes an acura tech and that the tranny fluid should not be flushed because the tranny's blow 4k miles after a flush. I just got mine flushed at 13k, so Im hoping hes full of shit.
He probably means powerflush, else he's full of shit.
Old 10-26-2003, 04:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have flushed (nine qts) mine every 15k miles and will do it for the forth time next month.
Old 10-26-2003, 06:03 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The trans flush ,well I am not sure what he has experienced however it is a common joke amongst Acura techs that if you do flush the trans the damn thing will implode because you flushed out the Bandaid that is holding the whole thing together .
In reality flushing the trans is not insurance against trans failure only delaying it but then again sooner or later every part in the car will fail ,maintenance will delay this but never prevent it completely.
The trannies are failing for many reasons the fluid was listed as one reason but later Acura recanted that story .We were told at one point in time that if a trans issue did occurrr that we should do a 9 quarts flush on the trans however the transmissions we did this too invariably failed anyway .Later on as Acura got a better handle on the situation they went ahead and told us that the trans should be replaced .Then those trannies blew up too and they said do it again .Now they are replacing ECU's and trannies and in some cases even the fuel pressure regulator although I could not even begin to guess what the fuel pressure regulator might have to do with transmissions failing .My feeling is that they have the problem in hand now and anyone who has the latest generation trans /ecu ought to go ahead and at least follow the owner's manual for transmission servicing .Those who have functioning trannies that are the older failure prone units I would suggest you do the same or perhaps go with the trans flush but only as long as it is a flush as recommended by Acura .Acura at last count did not endorse the use of power flushers on any of it's systems (although at one point they did) .A normal trans service requires 3 quarts and in my eyes would be a good idea every 15000 miles .A full flush requires 9 quarts and should be done every 30000 miles .But this is my opinion only do as you feel best ofcourse .These trannies are the achilles heel of these cars and as such will require some more maintenance .But since this maintenance is for most drivers a once a year proposition I do not think that a bit of preventative work is a overly large burden .

Jens
Old 10-26-2003, 06:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

very Good info ,,, now what about that 04 TL auto trans ? ,,, does it have a trans cooler and better yet will it fit on a 01 ?... My thinking is to use one of these insted of a rebuilt replacement trans. odds are they are a better trans with new engineering enhancements..?? Just thinking ahead when I add that SC..
Old 10-26-2003, 06:53 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as the 04 goes I will say it apears to be a different trans in some respects .But I have not had any real "quality time" to really look these cars cars over and start looking at part numbers to see what's what here .

Jens