Jens or anyone...alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jens or anyone...alignment?

Question for ya...

When I first bought my car (1 year ago), the car pulled slightly to the right. They told me everything was in check and it was the road causing the car to veer to the right. Well, after having the car for a couple weeks, it continued...so during my first oil change at 3750 miles, I told them it continued to pull right (if my hands are taken off the wheel). Well, they found that the alignment was indeed off and re-aligned it under warranty. That seemed to have fixed the problem

Well, I'm at 11,500 miles and I'm noticing that it still pulls to the right. Would this be something that is still under warranty or will the dealer say that this is normal wear and tear? I haven't hit any curbs or potholes and I have been extremely careful about speed bumps. Is this normal for alignment to go out of whack after 8000-10000 miles? Could there be something loose? Or should I just bite it and pay for an alignment?
Old 07-03-2003, 11:36 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I seriously doubt anything is loose ,that would evidence itself in some sort of noise .Some things to check and try :
1, tire pressure ,make certain the tire pressure is equal on both sides of the car .
2, see if the car is following the crown of the road , drive on the highway and see if your pulling condition remains the same in the left and right lanes .
3, run your hands over the tread ,the tire should feel smooth over the entire treaded area of the tire (except ofcourse for the fact that you can feel the grooves) if there is a problem you will feel that the tread is smooth if you run you hand one way over the tire yet it will feel stepped or rough going in the other direction.
4, if all else proves good see if swapping the front tires left to right changes the pull .If it does you may have a tire with a problem.
At your mileage the dealer may still be able to help you with warranty coverage but it is unlikely for a problem of this sort .
Jens
Old 07-06-2003, 09:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Jens, I will definitely give it a feel. I took a road trip from Phoenix to San Diego and am heading back to Phoenix later today. The car did pull to the right during highway travel...it doesn't matter which lane I'm in, so there definitely is something off. I'll check the tread and see if something is wrong with the tires and I'll check the pressure before I head out to Phoenix.
Old 07-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Mine does the exact same thing, has the slight right pull. I swapped the tires, and the car then drove straight. I had the suspect tire replaced, and still no change, still has the slight right pull. I'm now thinking bad stock rim??? But the tire balances just fine!

Jens, I am almost due for my 30k check, is this something that can be looked at? (I do have a spare rim I can bring) Also, do you guys have someone there that can buff out scratches (no dings, just a few scratches from my son and his bike). thanks!
Old 07-06-2003, 11:39 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes our detail crew can have a look at the scratches .And yes we will have a look see at the pulling condition .You said swapping tires corrected the problem? Did they replace the wrong tire?
At any rate ofcourse we will have a look at this.
Jens