It's Official, Our Odometers are OVERCOUNTING

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
My error percentage came out to over 4%.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
Re-read my post please. I never mentioned the value of the car. I'm looking at it from a warranty standpoint.

Hypothecical situation:

Let's say if my warranty ended at 60k miles but I'm at say 62K miles and my headlight balast goes out. I'm screwed. Well, in all reality my car only has 59k-60k miles on it and it should have been covered. Now, I just dropped $700+/- on the car that should have been covered. Now, how many of us here has had to replace a balast. A LOT of us, even me. In fact, I bet it's just as common if not more common than a tranny shitting the bed as Greenie likes to put it.

Take that into consideration and now think about the money saved by Honda/Acura because of this. Let's say only 1,000 balasts had to be replaced (which is probably a low number). At $700 per repair including balast, bulb, and labor, you're looking at $700,000.00 that Acura just saved itself.

Think about it.
think about what? a bunch of whiners? I have had warranty work performed on my 98 accord when it was past warranty by 8K miles. I didn't even have to ask, they just did it. Honda is extremely nice when it comes to goodwilling stuff that is past warranty...go look in the trans thread and see all those people getting new transmissions at 118K and higher...lol

What about all the people who have cars that UNDERSTATE their milage? shouldn't Honda charge them for warranty work even though their car could really be out of warranty at 36K miles because their car actually has 36540 miles on it?

You guys act as though the sky is falling beucase there MIGHT be a chance that your car COULD BE overstating milage? How can you know for sure?

you know what 3.75% of 50K is? 1,750 miles....

Poeple who lease cars should actually error on the side of caution to avoid charges...

I just really cannot understand it.......what are the federall guidelines for odometer accuracy? if the car is outside of that, then we have a problem..... (I believe that it is 5%)
Old 12-11-2006, 09:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

You act like all Honda/Acura dealerships are as quick to offer goodwill service. There are only two Acura dealerships within a 50 mile radius of my house and they are complete assholes, there is no way in hell they would offer goodwill service.

You act like 1,750 miles isn't alot. If you would have read the whole post, you would understand why it infuriates alot of people. Not because it saves us 1,750 miles, but because that is ALOT of money to Honda America, I mean ALOT of money. Because that is 1,750 miles less that they have to cover the bumper to bumper warranty.

Actually your math is wrong, its actually 1,875 miles, but we wont argue over petty things.

Then you go and talk about cars that are understating their mileage. Thats a ridiculous comment. The time that happens is when someone tosses bigger rims on their car and the revolutions don't match up to the OEM. But lets not forget, I am OEM, I am running OEM rims, I am running OEM tires.

Overall, you are right, a couple thousand miles might not effect me, it might not effect the next guy, but what happens when it effects someone else when their car is just right outside the warranty. Its a matter of principle and overall business ethics.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my car have 64k instead 67k..?
Old 12-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Trackruner228
I think the GPS would be a great idea. Find someone with a portable GPS and put it in your car and see if they match up. Although getting a GPS might be hard so if you cant do that the mile marker thing would work too but I think the GPS would be best.
The GPS will measure straight line mileage, not the over the road distance. Mile markers will be more accurate in this case.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:20 AM
Go Gators

Originally Posted by Zippee
The GPS will measure straight line mileage, not the over the road distance. Mile markers will be more accurate in this case.
Why would it do that? From what I've seen from several GPS units I've used from TomTom, Garmin, and Magellan, they're pretty much read exactly like the mile markers....kinda defeats the purpose of turn by turn directions if mileage is off.

Also, since this subject is hot...I've always been shocked at how quickly I have to fill the tank...does anyone think the MPG estimates are off as well...since this Odo challenge?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

It effects everything when you do calculations.
It would effect 0-60 times slightly
It would effect MPG, only slightly
It would effect Tire warranties (i.e 50,000 tire warranty, and you get money back depending on mileage)

All these things are small nickle and dime stuff, but I just like to have accurate information and not be mislead.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by pits200
It effects everything when you do calculations.
It would effect 0-60 times slightly
It would effect MPG, only slightly
It would effect Tire warranties (i.e 50,000 tire warranty, and you get money back depending on mileage)

All these things are small nickle and dime stuff, but I just like to have accurate information and not be mislead.
And your basing this on not very accurate measurement. How do you know that the other car is 100% accurate? Maybe its 2% off in the other direction making yours look like its off even more than it is? Test with some mile markers, a GPS, or bring it in and have it calibrated.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

You are right to an extent, but I know the trip that I take. I have made it about 30 times in the past year. I know that it is exactly 98.5 miles from gas station to Breezewood, PA exit. My gfs car posts almost exactly that, while mine would post between 103-104 miles.

But I will wait to claim how much of a variance there is until i do an actual mile marker check.
Old 12-11-2006, 11:29 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
think about what? a bunch of whiners? I have had warranty work performed on my 98 accord when it was past warranty by 8K miles. I didn't even have to ask, they just did it. Honda is extremely nice when it comes to goodwilling stuff that is past warranty...go look in the trans thread and see all those people getting new transmissions at 118K and higher...lol

What about all the people who have cars that UNDERSTATE their milage? shouldn't Honda charge them for warranty work even though their car could really be out of warranty at 36K miles because their car actually has 36540 miles on it?

You guys act as though the sky is falling beucase there MIGHT be a chance that your car COULD BE overstating milage? How can you know for sure?

you know what 3.75% of 50K is? 1,750 miles....

Poeple who lease cars should actually error on the side of caution to avoid charges...

I just really cannot understand it.......what are the federall guidelines for odometer accuracy? if the car is outside of that, then we have a problem..... (I believe that it is 5%)

idk what dealership u go to but id like to go to that too. i couldnt even get a loaner car when my car didnt start one morning, they figured out the problem was my starter cable came off, then they proceeded to charge me $100 to reconnect the freaking wire. wheres the goodwill, if they told me that was the problem i could have reconnected the thing myself
Old 12-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

I know, I laughed about it too when he said that Honda is good about goodwill. I almost fell out of my seat. Most of us won't argue that Honda/Acuras are good cars, but their customer service is near the bottom for middle of the line cars.

My girl got a G35 and had a squeeking in the window, they covered it under warranty, gave us a loaner for the day, sat down and explained why the squeek happened and took the time to speak with us.

Let me see what that guy Yumama would say when I fought with Acura for 5 months regarding my ODPS sensor (the airbag thing) and they refused to cover it because they said it was my fault that I put my cell phone and laptop on my front seat. They said I would have to spend $600 to have it fixed or run the risk of driving around with no airbags. Of course, at the beginning of this year they came out with an "extended warranty" and now the OPDS sensor is covered. But despite my 5 months of bickering they never budged on offering to cover my sensor.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
I know, I laughed about it too when he said that Honda is good about goodwill. I almost fell out of my seat. Most of us won't argue that Honda/Acuras are good cars, but their customer service is near the bottom for middle of the line cars.

My girl got a G35 and had a squeeking in the window, they covered it under warranty, gave us a loaner for the day, sat down and explained why the squeek happened and took the time to speak with us.

Let me see what that guy Yumama would say when I fought with Acura for 5 months regarding my ODPS sensor (the airbag thing) and they refused to cover it because they said it was my fault that I put my cell phone and laptop on my front seat. They said I would have to spend $600 to have it fixed or run the risk of driving around with no airbags. Of course, at the beginning of this year they came out with an "extended warranty" and now the OPDS sensor is covered. But despite my 5 months of bickering they never budged on offering to cover my sensor.
since you all think Honda is a POS why buy their cars? I mean if they are as bad as everyone says they are at customer service, why are they #2 in sales compared to everyone else who is so much better?

I have to wonder how many of you guys actually service your car when it is due or are actually half way descent when you talk to these people?

Go by a GM and see what happens when you take your 3.8L in for piston slap or some other well known problem. Or better yet why not spend big $$ on a Caddy and start hearing driveline crunches and be told that this is normal? You can buy a Chrysler and when your A/C quits because the compressor seized up at 50K on your $40K car and they tell you "sorry you're SOL"

No wonder you don't get anywhere......... Honda should reimburse you for a repair made while it was under warranty. I never had any problems. I just do what they ask and in the end it all works out.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Most of us won't argue that Honda/Acuras are good cars, but their customer service is near the bottom for middle of the line cars.
Now obviously you're not that retarded that you can't read, but never once have I stated that Honda/Acura is a bad car. I think Honda/Acura gives you the best bang for you buck. But their customer service is below par.

But you know what I love the best, the only way your comparison to other cars worked is when you compared problems to Chrysler, GM, and a bunch of other shitty american cars.

As for taking care of vehicles, my 1991 Acura LS Special had 210,000 miles on it with only one clutch change. I think I am decent at taking care of vehicles, so don't make the assumption that people have problems with cars because they dont take their cars into the dealership to have their problems fixed. You obviously have no common sense and make statements based on nothing.

A word to the wise, think before you type.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai
why are they #2 in sales compared to everyone else who is so much better?
People don't buy a car based on Customer Service, they buy a car based on quality and longevity. Customer service is meant to keep consumers happy and work with them to a reasonable extent.

I will be honest, just based on all the things I have gone through, I will definitely give a look at Lexus, Infiniti, BMW, and Audi when I look for my next vehicle, while before I was 100% Acura based on car quality.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:00 PM
Advanced

I did a test on my 03 CL-S compared GPS to cars odometers. Destination: 90miles. So I set the GPS and reset odometer (trip meter) to 0.00 and started driving. When i got to the point where GPS said "arrive at your destination" and the miles on GPS just switched from 00.1 to 00.00 and my odometer showed 91.1 so it was a bit off. I did change lane couple of times. 1.1 miles off is not really off to me. That’s only 1.2% off. Plus I changed lanes so the difference is actually even smaller. Did anyone do any tests with GPS or other trusted way? Not comparing it to another cars Odometer.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Instructor

Mileage

I swear My car is doing the same thing!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Welcome to Olliewood

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts
Has anyone tried thinking of it the other way around? Maybe his CL is fine, but ure gf's G is messed up? Just saying, idk why ure giving that car the benefit of the doubt- hell both of ures could be wrong
Old 01-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Advanced

GPS is what I trust. The best and easiest way to test you're odometer is to drive as far as possible on the long and strait freeway. I find it easier to test odometer to GPS is when I cover around 100 miles. Then compare it to GPS.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
It's done, settled, finito!!! It's not the other cars fault people, if we are receiving papers in the mail about a law suit regarding honda and acura odometers.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Dont know where or whats causing the discrepancy but with my car (2000 TL) with the 6 speed trans and cluster and ecu i recently tested my mileage with a GPS on a 225 mile trip and the difference between the GPS and odo was roughly 1.9 miles. I wouldnt consider that off or abnormal
Old 01-09-2007, 06:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

My gf whose car I tested mine against also has a navigation system calculates different mileage if her and I are at the same point.

We calculated a highway trip, so we ensured that all the same roads were used and accounted for. And my Navi system said a different amount of miles than her car did on the navigation system???? This isnt even taking into account the odometer...

Like Fsttyms1 said earlier in the post, someone has to use mileage markers. That would be the most accurate calculation.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Advanced

how do u use mileage markers?
Old 01-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Be kind to us truckers !

i'll have to try that some day and see what happen's!
Old 01-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Advanced

yeah i think the mileage is wrongtoo i have a 06 tsx i drove it to work and home and i check my mileage after a week of driving and i did a good 400 mile wile i only do 20 mile to and from work total
Old 01-14-2007, 07:22 AM
2014 TL SH-AWD Advance

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by acudavecls
how do u use mileage markers?
Simple...those markers on the side of the Interstate that either increase or decrease by 1 every mile..., note on your trip odo exactly when you pass the mile marker, so say you pass the marker at 84.8. Then you check it at 10 mile markers later and you pass the marker at say... 95.2, then you're racking up .4 miles per 10 miles more than you should and your ODO is off 4%. This is probably the most accurate test you can do.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have to try to remember to do that today, I am traveling again to my typical place. I hope my odometer isn't off, but I will try to post tomorrow regarding the results.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:08 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03sixer
Simple...those markers on the side of the Interstate that either increase or decrease by 1 every mile..., note on your trip odo exactly when you pass the mile marker, so say you pass the marker at 84.8. Then you check it at 10 mile markers later and you pass the marker at say... 95.2, then you're racking up .4 miles per 10 miles more than you should and your ODO is off 4%. This is probably the most accurate test you can do.

Wouldn't that be off by 40%?
Old 01-15-2007, 07:27 AM
2014 TL SH-AWD Advance

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Nitz
Wouldn't that be off by 40%?
I'm no math major, but I don't believe so. 4/10 of a mile every 10 miles would be 4%. 4/10 of a mile every mile would be 40%. So, if you went exactly 10 miles, but your car says you went 10.4 miles, then you are putting 4% over on it. If you went exactly 1 mile, but your odo showed 1.4 miles, then, that's 40%, right?
Old 01-15-2007, 07:43 AM
DRINKING HAS A ME PROBLEM

i know mine is off. i test it on milage markers all the time. there is also a bridge in my town that is exactly 1 mile long. and i click over before it.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well, I just did a test again yesterday from a starting point from one of the first mile markers on the PA turnpike when I get on, I went from mile marker 67.5 to 166.3. That should have been 98.8 miles minus some lane switches. My car said 104.1 miles, therefore, 104.1(my miles)-98.8(mileage markers)-1(lane variances) = 4.3miles

4.3/104.1=4.13%

Now this is one of the many tests that I have done. Unless the mile markers are off, there is no explanation as to why my car is so far off. Also, when my girlfriend was following me, once again our cars were off in many aspects.

I set my cruise control at 80mph, and her car G was at about 77 or 78mph when she was tailing me keeping the exact same distance, or as well as you can.

We set her Navi and mine to the exact same mileage on the highway to the same location and we had different totals and the roads used were the same.

Come on now, other people have to have stories like this, I can't be the only one.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:12 AM
Got DEP???

Originally Posted by 03sixer
I'm no math major, but I don't believe so. 4/10 of a mile every 10 miles would be 4%. 4/10 of a mile every mile would be 40%. So, if you went exactly 10 miles, but your car says you went 10.4 miles, then you are putting 4% over on it. If you went exactly 1 mile, but your odo showed 1.4 miles, then, that's 40%, right?
That is correct...

I think Nitz thought your post appeared to be saying it was only one mile because you just said 10 mile markers (which I know is 10 miles) and there are ten markers per 1 mile...

Simple math here: 10 tenths per mile times (x) 10 miles equals (=) 100. Now remember that the .4 would have been 4 tenths and the sum of 10 miles is 100 tenths. That would give you a number of 4/100 or just straight up 4%.

If you wanted to go further for that, just take the 4/100 which would be 1/25. Then you take the reciprocal of 25 which is .04 and multiply that times (x) 100 (to get the percentage) and you get the sum of 4 or once again 4%...

Blah, blah, blah...
Old 01-15-2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
The 'odometer test section' areas on the highway are the only really accurate way to count, and even those can be off by as much as a few metres due to frost heaves, the road sinking, etc.

I went over a 10km test section in my 06 Accord, and it was almost exactly accurate. It read 9.9 just as I looked to the side to see the 'end odometer test section - 10km' sign on the side of the road. This is probably due to my slow reaction time in resetting the thing as I passed the initial zero marker.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:03 AM
Got DEP???

Hmmm... Never seen one before.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Come on now, other people have to have stories like this, I can't be the only one.

Mines not the same, Plus im not running stock sized tires

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Dont know where or whats causing the discrepancy but with my car (2000 TL) with the 6 speed trans and cluster and ecu i recently tested my mileage with a GPS on a 225 mile trip and the difference between the GPS and odo was roughly 1.9 miles. I wouldnt consider that off or abnormal
Old 01-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Undercover Slacker

there is a class action suit involving 2002-2006 Honda/Acura odometers covercounting by 2-4%!

http://aboutacura.blogspot.com/2007/...naccurate.html

About 6 million cars are affected, I think I'm one of them with my 2005 TSX.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:41 PM
Undercover Slacker

Supposedly, if you bought/leased a car between April 13, 2002 and November 7, 2006.

Honda will extend warranty mileage by 5% and they’ll reimburse for repairs you paid for if your car would have been covered by the new warranty limits. And they’ll reimburse lease charges if you paid for mileage you may not have driven.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:47 PM
Got DEP???

Fixed: Supposedly, if you bought/leased a HONDA/ACURA THAT WAS MANUFACTURED between April 13, 2002 and November 7, 2006.

Maybe I should have just used "In service date" instead of manufactured...
Old 01-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dalieu
Supposedly, if you bought/leased a car between April 13, 2002 and November 7, 2006.

Honda will extend warranty mileage by 5% and they’ll reimburse for repairs you paid for if your car would have been covered by the new warranty limits. And they’ll reimburse lease charges if you paid for mileage you may not have driven.
What about the money lost for cars sold second hand because of overestimated mileage. I know this might not seem like a big deal, but think of all the people that have had Acuras that were totalled. The insurance company determines value by mileage and condition.

For example, My gf got her CL-S totalled by some girl and got a specific payout amount. When I pull a KBB on her car with the 4% overage taken out, in actuality she should have receieve about $300-500 more on the payout from the insurance company when they decieded to total the car . It just infuriates me about all these small things.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:18 PM
Instructor

My dad used to insist that his 2000 TL was off
Old 01-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Undercover Slacker

What about the money lost for cars sold second hand because of overestimated mileage. I know this might not seem like a big deal, but think of all the people that have had Acuras that were totalled. The insurance company determines value by mileage and condition.

For example, My gf got her CL-S totalled by some girl and got a specific payout amount. When I pull a KBB on her car with the 4% overage taken out, in actuality she should have receieve about $300-500 more on the payout from the insurance company when they decieded to total the car . It just infuriates me about all these small things.
you got me, i'm still wondering how "easy" it would be to get honda/acura to reimburse you for your repairs and etc. will it be like multiple forms that will take years before you see a check?

Quick Reply: It's Official, Our Odometers are OVERCOUNTING