Intake or Exhaust First???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002 | 06:16 PM
Cost Drivers!!!!

You want the CAI to start with. Then headers.

All the CAIs sound pretty much the same. INJEN is slightly more "metallic".

The combo of the I/E sounds NICE when you are at WOT between 5-7k. IMHO, the comptech exhaust makes the car sound like it has big hairy 500lb gorillla balls. I love it!! I love rolling by people walking on the street and just reving the engine hard The two really don't make a difference in sound. It's the combo effect. That is adding one to the other really doesn't make it sound "different" it just adds more sound

you will be happy no matter what you choose. The sound of that pipe is INTOXICATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by EEPOWER
I lost track of what you two are arguing about!! I was not interested in the short ram anyhow. CAI: AEM or INJEN?? When I get the $$, I'll end up getting headers for more gain, but for now, this is a nice mod for sound quality and just a little extra kick from mid to high rpms. In addition, I like how it helps spice up the appeal of the engine bay. Basically, I'm under the impression that the exhaust is pretty useless except for looks (whihc is not a big problem since I have the nice slanted stainless steel 3A racing exhaust tips on) and sound quality, which no one has touched upon...

Rating from 1 to 10 (10 being a deep throaty sound, but not ricey and overbearing, and 1 being stock),

(1) how does the AEM cold air intake with stock exhaust sound, or
(2) how does the INJEN cold air intake with stock exhaust sound, and
(3) how does Comptech exhaust with stock air sound, and
(4) how does AEM cold air intake with Comptech exhaust sound, or
(5) how does INJEN intake with Comptech sound.

This ought to be interesting to see how people rate this. If you AEM, try not to guess INJEN, and vice versa (unless you've had experience with both).

I would ask about the short ram or just drop in high flow filters, but I don't want to do neither. Basically 'm set on getting a CAI.

CAN the Bypass valve go on both the AEM and the INJEN intakes or just the AEM? Has anyone ever wished they had installed it on their intake? ANY REGRETS? Does it really take away some of the minimal gain from the CAI???
Old 06-27-2002 | 06:42 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

AEM CAI... exhaust is a waste IMO.
Old 06-27-2002 | 06:51 PM
'Cooter

u know what i was thinking...see if it's possible to use the old Xephyr K&N filters on an AEM/Injen...perhaps u would get a throatier sound...only thing is i dunno that model type...not sure if those filters are still around, but maybe they r
Old 06-27-2002 | 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life
AEM CAI... exhaust is a waste IMO.

No way dawg!

I look at it like this, you are getting more flow into that engine, so its going to need more than the stock setup for all that flow to exit as well.

I think all the exhausts are totally fucking overpriced though.

My favorite was the MUGEN, too bad they don't make it anymore!
Old 06-27-2002 | 11:15 PM
Cruisin'

Is the install for the intake pretty simple...not taking into consideration the fact that the bumper has to come off? I'm going to have a difficult time deciding on INJEN, AEM or waiting to see about the COMPTECH intakes. I definitely want a blue one, a great sound, and of course the best gain. But the gains are the same. So which sounds the best, since I think both the AEM and the INJEN come in blue? Where is the best place to order from (cheapest or most reliable service)? Thanks for everybody's replies and efforts to help out.
I bought my AEM w/bypass valve for $200 and my Injen for about $160 through my friends cousin. i would say it's pretty hard to install if you have no idea what your doing. but if you know, well it's not all that hard
Old 06-27-2002 | 11:22 PM
Cruisin'

\(1) how does the AEM cold air intake with stock exhaust sound, or
(2) how does the INJEN cold air intake with stock exhaust sound, and
(3) how does Comptech exhaust with stock air sound, and
(4) how does AEM cold air intake with Comptech exhaust sound, or
(5) how does INJEN intake with Comptech sound.

This ought to be interesting to see how people rate this. If you AEM, try not to guess INJEN, and vice versa (unless you've had experience with both).

\
I think that the injen sounds a lot better than the aem. the injen has a louder lower growl that sounds much better then the high squeal of an aem IMO and i don't have a bypass valve and doin just fine up here in WA
Old 06-29-2002 | 03:35 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by jimcol711
there is no way the CAI does 10-15 hp...MAYBE 5-8 TOPS....and an intake with headers together wont do more than 35-37 over stock, so dont get to hooked on these numbers....they arent always true...the only mod ive ever experienced that you can actually FEEL and SEE a difference is headers..anything else doesnt do much at all...headers definately make a difference and IMHO i would start with springs...best mod there is next to headers
the aem cai for the 2001 cls is dyno'd at a 15 hp gain...look at their site....www.aempower.com
Old 08-30-2007 | 05:55 PM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Originally Posted by Zapata
Welcome to the board.

Use the search feature

Exhaust gains are minimal. They are there for sure but do the intake first. Our stock exhaust is pretty good but our airbox is pretty restrictive!

No real difference with intakes. INJEN has a slightly better design but AEM is no slouch. The performance gains are the same.

Short ram is useless.
Question. Do you the mean the Type S has a pretty good stock exhaust or the CL in general? Cuz i have a CL-P. Is Mine good?
Old 08-30-2007 | 06:41 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by GrandeInter10
Question. Do you the mean the Type S has a pretty good stock exhaust or the CL in general? Cuz i have a CL-P. Is Mine good?
Dude, this thread has been essentially dead for more than 5 years until you revived it. I'm not sure if many (or any) of the folks who posted are even here anymore. The exhaust on the CLP is more restrictive than the S. I believe this would cause you to get more substantial gains from an exhaust system than if you put in on a type S.
Old 08-30-2007 | 07:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by black label
Dude, this thread has been essentially dead for more than 5 years until you revived it. I'm not sure if many (or any) of the folks who posted are even here anymore. The exhaust on the CLP is more restrictive than the S. I believe this would cause you to get more substantial gains from an exhaust system than if you put in on a type S.
and