Installing Turbo soon

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 02:37 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Turbo soon

I drove my friends boosted Civic and I really can't stand to drive my slow car anymore. I just got back from the speed center here and I got a price between $5-$6K. I'm probably going to have them start on it within the next month. Are there any gotchas I should be aware of? Will having the 5 A/T cause any problems? Will the tranny last with a turbo or should I have it upgraded also?

Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Upgrade The Transmission!

Also, I believe allmotor's kit cost between $5-6k just for all the parts. Labor, R&D, etc aren't figured into that price. Good luck.

Why not just get the S/C for WAY less than that cost?
Old 07-15-2004, 02:39 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
look into the Dr. Evil Tranny they have over on V6performance.net. While it is only a 4 speed it's a stout transmission and the 4 speed won't make much of a difference.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:48 PM
Advanced

The price he quoted me was complete. So between $5-$6K for labor and all the required parts. The S/C is $5K for that alone and it won't compare horsepower wise to a turbo.

Will the turbo void all my power train warranty? What about the tranny since this was recalled?
Old 07-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CLpower
While it is only a 4 speed it's a stout transmission and the 4 speed won't make much of a difference.
There is the small problem of the ECU wanting to control a 5AT.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by scarface
The price he quoted me was complete. So between $5-$6K for labor and all the required parts. The S/C is $5K for that alone and it won't compare horsepower wise to a turbo.

Will the turbo void all my power train warranty? What about the tranny since this was recalled?
I'll start with the last part, if you are asking then you shouldn't begin to think about doing this.

If they quoted a price without getting into it figure they are doing a cheap ob and you will be out another $2k - $4k in the end to get it running right. As for power, how much do you want as the SC is certainly capable of making more than enough power for you.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:02 PM
Team Owner

The S/C can be purchased for under $3700. Add a couple hundred more for a few additional things you will want, high boost pulley, etc. And you will be well under $5k installed. Also, most dealers will not have a problem with Comptech parts, including the S/C.

A turbo setup would definitely prevent you from getting any warranty work done when it comes to the drivetrain. Regardless of a recall or not; if you have a turbo and you blow the transmission, you'll be paying for it.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Advanced

I'm glad I have you people to talk to. Give me the straight low down. How much HP is a fully optimized S/C going to make versus a fully optimized T/C? Given the HP difference between the two (assuming there is one) what would be the real world 1/4 time difference?

Thanks for lookin' out for us newbs.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:38 PM
goldmemberererer

Originally Posted by mrsteve
The S/C can be purchased for under $3700. Add a couple hundred more for a few additional things you will want, high boost pulley, etc. And you will be well under $5k installed. Also, most dealers will not have a problem with Comptech parts, including the S/C.

A turbo setup would definitely prevent you from getting any warranty work done when it comes to the drivetrain. Regardless of a recall or not; if you have a turbo and you blow the transmission, you'll be paying for it.
Agree with all of that, fow show. C-C-C.net has your Comptech S/C for $36XX as of two days ago. _With_ install it should run no more than 5k.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Team Owner

I'm glad I have you people to talk to. Give me the straight low down. How much HP is a fully optimized S/C going to make versus a fully optimized T/C? Given the HP difference between the two (assuming there is one) what would be the real world 1/4 time difference?

Thanks for lookin' out for us newbs.

Obviously a turbo is going to be more efficient than a supercharger. Spining a turbine with air vs. turning the S/C with a belt.

A S/C with an 8lb pulley and an intercooler, proper ECU control will make.... well just ask scalbert... he has this set up now.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
i believe they are expecting ~ 350whp on the s/c auto w/ hbp i/c and emanage.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mattg
i believe they are expecting ~ 350whp on the s/c auto w/ hbp i/c and emanage.

Which is good for 12 second 1/4 mile passes.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Senior Moderator

definately should be, since i'm close w/ 300whp.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Advanced

high or low 12s

Is there any CLS running in the 11s?
Old 07-15-2004, 04:14 PM
Team Owner

high or low 12s

Is there any CLS running in the 11s?
There are 3 currently that have to potential to do so... but they haven't been to the track yet.

Remember, getting a CL-S into the 11s is ridiculously much more harder than getting a civic into the 11s. Our car weighs so much more. And with such a high compression ratio from the factory adding anything more than 8lbs of boost is a Although, seeing what a high compression engine can do with so little boost is quite amazing.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:20 PM
Advanced

12s is plenty fast from what I gather since there was a Toyota Supra with a custom turbo doing high 11s. I'm getting very excited about this. I'll let a few more people post before making my decision. I'm now leaning towards the SC since ultimately you're going to be limited by the amount of boost you can apply. Also not voiding my warrantly is good. I would love a low 12 car and I'd like it to be the CLS.

Also someone said the price for the full SC is $5K. Does this include the intercooler?

Thanks Again
Old 07-15-2004, 04:22 PM
SC, please

so the tranny should be upgraded if a S/C is installed? Even if you're running a 5AT?
Old 07-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have to talk to your dealership first before you go and do this. No Acura dealership is obligated to cover it. It’s up to each individual dealer. Its just there’s a better chance of one covering it if you go with the CT S/C rather then a custom turbo.

-Figure the S/C runs you $3800

-You'll either need to buy a new battery or relocate it to the trunk

-Sounds like you want the High Boost Pulley

-Tranny Cooler would be recommend

-Gauges are optional but very useful to have

-And then there's the install part.

Somewhere north of 5k is about right. That’s not including the Intercooler.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:28 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by BeeTee2
so the tranny should be upgraded if a S/C is installed? Even if you're running a 5AT?

No, not always. Plenty of guys have the S/C with the 5AT. With the 6MT you can run more power (aka turbo) with no problems, well that isn't a 100% fact, but it looks like it will hold the power. The stock clutch may not like it too much though.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BeeTee2
The only tranny that would "need" to be uprgraded is the 5AT.

EDIT- Like steve just said.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:29 PM
Team Owner

Intercooler with Greddy e-Mange runs right around $2500 plus install.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:53 PM
Advanced

So $5K for the SC and all the gauges, HBP, battery etc. Then another $2.5K for the Intercooler. Wow. For that kind of cash I'm leaning toward the turbo since it will make more power.

Keep postin' thoughts...
Old 07-15-2004, 05:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can assume that for $5K you are getting a 'regular' turbo... not ball-bearing. Is all the piping done in stainless-steel? These are all things to check. What kind of engine management is involved? I would seriously doubt the engine management is nothing more than an FMU and a fuel pump. Also, its very difficult to fit a turbo in an auto (especially if you plan on putting it like on my car).

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2004, 05:28 PM
Safety Car

Ask the guy who is quoting you to piece all the components (brand, specs & price). List those out and I'll tell you if you are getting a good deal or getting ripped off.

I can make a kit for you for $4K if you want... but it will be POS
Old 07-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Instructor

crap tranny = crap results. boost on a daily driven auto is definitely not worth 5-6k. instead of boosting the cl, i bought a project car that'll be boosting in a few months from now.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
I can make a kit for you for $4K if you want... but it will be POS
whats does this kit include? its not just pipes is it?
Old 07-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Senior Moderator

a 'kit' would include all the parts, wouldn't you think?
Old 07-15-2004, 09:17 PM
Advanced

He indicated the price was for everything. They are a very reputable shop and I've seen the work they do. I'm not convinced one way or another although I'd be leaning toward the turbo route since it appears to be cheaper and creates more HP.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:29 PM
Team Owner

He indicated the price was for everything. They are a very reputable shop and I've seen the work they do. I'm not convinced one way or another although I'd be leaning toward the turbo route since it appears to be cheaper and creates more HP.

When was the last time they did a turbo set up on an automatic CL-S? I find it hard to believe that they could fabricate a turbo set up just by taking a quick look under the hood. I'm not calling you a liar, I just feel the shop might not know what they are getting into. I mean allmotor... his process took what, like 9 months?! Seems like they might not realize what they are getting their hands on. And without a quote it writing you might as well forget they even said $4-5k.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:39 PM
Safety Car

I am sure they can do something for $4-$5K... its not the price. What kind/quality of components are being used? That's the main price concern. Plus, when they finally figure out where they have to place the turbo, they might reconsider. You can buy a cheap turbo for $500, a wastegate and BOV for another $400, an IC for like $400, FMU for $250. Beyond this, make the manifold, piping etc. and you have a kit for $4K to $5K. Now... will it be durable... run well... not blow up your motor in 4 months? I can't say!
Old 07-15-2004, 09:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by allmotor_2000
I am sure they can do something for $4-$5K... its not the price. What kind/quality of components are being used? That's the main price concern. Plus, when they finally figure out where they have to place the turbo, they might reconsider. You can buy a cheap turbo for $500, a wastegate and BOV for another $400, an IC for like $400, FMU for $250. Beyond this, make the manifold, piping etc. and you have a kit for $4K to $5K. Now... will it be durable... run well... not blow up your motor in 4 months? I can't say!

That was my point from the beginning. Of course it can be done, but it'll be half-ass. If you want "reliable" performance go with what is proven, Comptech S/C. If its 1/4 mile times you are worried about, you bought the wrong car. Too heavy, FWD, etc. If you want to increase the performance of the J32 engine to near its absolute potential, the S/C will suffice. S/C + high boost pulley, should put you in mid 13s if you can drive...if that's what you are worried about... but then again like I said, if that's what you are worried about, you've got the wrong car.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Advanced

I just want a car that I can drive everyday and blow my friends out when they start talkin' shit about my car. I'm willing to spend the money, especially in the right area so I don't blow my car up. The guy that looked at it knew where the turbo had to go. I'm probably going to end up takin' him a pic of the turbo allmotor produced. Is that unethical or what? How much HP will the SC, high boost pulley and an intercooler produce on a CLS 5 AT?

I may consider trading in my car if I can't find a resonable solution. It's a good excuse to trade for an 03
Old 07-15-2004, 11:28 PM
ex 6 Speed owner :(

Pay particular attention to what turbo they want to use with the engine. While it is true that any old turbo off the shelf will make boost and make the customer happy... a properly matched turbo makes a world of difference, allmotor can attest to that as he has run two different turbos on his car. On top of that one with ball-bearings makes for incredible response. A ball-bearing turbo alone can cost upwards of $1400, but money well spent. No dyno graphs yet but we are expecting possibly +30whp just from a more efficient / better matched turbo system at the same boost level.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
well if you think about it...
you pay about 18-20k for a CL-s + 5k or so for a turbo/SC and put you deep in 13's...

But if all you car about is the 1/4 mile time get something REALLy light that is RWD.
I bet you can get a 240sx S13 for 3k then get a black top SR20DET from a S13 for 3k.
Upgrade turbo for 3k, ECU for 1k, and FMIC for 1k. Say... 4k for installation of EVERYTHING...

You looking at 15-16k for a 2700lbs car easily with 300whp.
AND it leaves you money to get REALLY beefy tires to put the power down.

Alternatively you can RX7 for 8k with blown motor. Get a ported motor for 5k, Apexi Power FC for 1k. FMIC for 1k. FuelPump for 200 bux. Tune for 120 bux. Radiator for 300 bux. And you can have a 320rwhp RX7. (This was my old car). This is also assuming
you don't touch the turbos and leave them stock.

The RX7 i drove EVERY DAY 10 miles to work one way in Florida heat.

you have MANY MANY options. (Turbo Integra LS, Turbo IS300, Turbo SC300, etc.)
Old 07-16-2004, 06:38 AM
Suzuka Master

I just want a car that I can drive everyday and blow my friends out when they start talkin' shit about my car. I'm willing to spend the money, especially in the right area so I don't blow my car up. The guy that looked at it knew where the turbo had to go. I'm probably going to end up takin' him a pic of the turbo allmotor produced. Is that unethical or what? How much HP will the SC, high boost pulley and an intercooler produce on a CLS 5 AT?
Let me get this straight. You want as much power as possible to possibly get you in the 11's and are willing to pay for it but are also concerned about your warranty.

Those two do not go hand in hand.

You need to make a choice of three options. Either forego the drivetrain warranty and then you will have two choices; the turbo or SC. Second, talk to your dealer about installing the Comptech blower kit but keep it simple and just run the HBP (3.275ALT ) in hopes of retaining your drivetrain warranty. Lastly, sell you car and get something which can get you into the 11's easier and has a better chassis to support the power similar to what Dimcorner mentioned.

allmotor will need to respond concerning the pictures but those are still limiting in what they reveal. There is still more to an excellent kit than what can be gleaned from some images. In addition, a cheap turbo kit as is being suggested will make about the same power as the SC would. Now a well designed and quality kit such as allmotor's will easily make 30 - 40 WHP more than a comparable SC kit at the same boost level. But that will run you more than what is being quoted.

To answer your last question, about 330 - 350 WHP. And IMO, I doubt any of this will occur.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

I hear ya Scarface...but an 01 with ONLY springs, rims and tires... you got a long way to go....

How about you start with Headers........ maybe an intake........ sways...... then re-evaluate.