Improvement for shock sensor install

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2001, 03:50 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Improvement for shock sensor install

I found an improvement for the shock sensor install if anyone is interested:

First of all, "Thank You" to those of you who posted pictures and instructions on the shock sensor install. I would have had no idea where to start if it wasn't for you. The thing I didn't like about the shock sensor was that with the sensitivity set even remotely sensitive you could not close the trunk without setting the alarm off. I was able to pop the trunk open with the remote with no problem, but I couldn't close it(even lightly), or it would set the alarm off.

Here's my solution:

I searched and worked with my multimeter for about an hour, knowing that I needed to somehow tie into the trunk light, so that the shock sensor would know when the trunk was open. I found a wire that goes to the trunk light and switch(in the latch) that has 12 volts on it when the trunk is closed(light is off), and has 0 volts on it when the trunk is open (light is on). I am now using that wire as the power wire for the shock sensor. So, as soon as I pop the trunk with the remote, the shock sensor is deactivated, and as soon as the trunk is closed the shock sensor is reactivated.

It works perfectly, and now I can have the shock sensor set very sensitive, without having the alarm go off whem I'm messing around in the trunk.

If anyone else is interested in this, I can post the location of the wire that I tapped into.
Old 08-13-2001, 03:52 PM
nItIn

Originally posted by ajram:
<STRONG>

If anyone else is interested in this, I can post the location of the wire that I tapped into.</STRONG>
yes, sounds like a good idea .. thanks!
Old 08-13-2001, 03:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
What about voiding waranty when something goes wrong with car's electric system and service technichan will see shock sensor modification????
I bet dealership will deny waranty if something goes wrong with electric system and they will see after market modifications for alarm....
Old 08-13-2001, 04:15 PM
Nightbane

Sounds great Ajram.

Can you post the picture of the wire you're talking about?
Old 08-13-2001, 04:19 PM
Racer

If I ever have a warranty issue relating to the electrical system, I will just remove the shock sensor before going to the dealership(about a five minute job).

Okay here's the location of the wire:

You will find one big mass of wires coming from the back of the car(driver's side), up by the hood release. This mass of wires splits into two groups... one group is plugged into a connector on the fuse panel itself. The second group is plugged into a connector straight back towards the firewall(engine). It's not all the way back to the firewall... just that direction. This second group is the one you are interested in. Unplug the connector and pull it out to where you can get a good look at all of the wires. The wire you want to use is the wire in the fifth slot down, on the right hand side of the connector. The wire is orange.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-13-2001, 04:29 PM
Racer

Sorry, I don't have a dig cam, so I can't post a picture. Just ask me if you need further detail... I will try my best with just words.
Old 08-13-2001, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

hold up are you using the same sensor as me? cause i have no problem. also after i arm it press the trunk open w/ my remote then the security system automatically disarms. Just check the red blinking led on the door. as soon as you hit lock the led will come on, then if you unlock your trunk the led will go off, meaning no alarm.
Old 08-13-2001, 05:02 PM
Racer

I'm not sure if our original systems worked differently or not, but my alarm was not disarmed when the trunk was opened. I had to unlock the car to disarm the alarm. Opening the trunk had no effect on the alarm(it still doesn't, but now the shock sensor won't set it off with the trunk open).
Old 08-13-2001, 05:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Can I ask you question about your original template for shock sensor installation, did you have to losen screws on fuse box in order to wire tap the yellow wire?
Or everything can be done while from underneath the driever's seat?
Old 08-13-2001, 05:56 PM
Racer

I did end up completely dislodging the fuse box to tap the wires. Once you have done this installation, you could probably do it without removing the fuse box, but until you've done it- it's hard to know what you're looking for.
Old 08-13-2001, 06:01 PM
Suzuka Master

I am talking about regular installation not involving the trunk conenction. There is a yellow wire which needs to be wire tapped to include white & blue shock sensor wires.

This yellow wire is on the prong which is all the way back on the box? Is that right?
Can't I just find this wire in the back and wire tap it without displacing my fuse box?
Old 08-13-2001, 06:03 PM
Racer

That's what I was talking about. If you know what you're looking for it's not too bad, but until you know where that wire(yellow) is located, you almost have to remove all of that stuff to find it.
Old 08-13-2001, 06:08 PM
Acura TL-S

<STRONG>That's what I was talking about. If you know what you're looking for it's not too bad, but until you know where that wire(yellow) is located, you almost have to remove all of that stuff to find it.</STRONG>
so what happens if someone knows about this and forces the trunk open first, and when the light is on/shock sensor off, they can go ahead and do the same dirty deed?
Old 08-13-2001, 06:10 PM
Suzuka Master

<STRONG>That's what I was talking about. If you know what you're looking for it's not too bad, but until you know where that wire(yellow) is located, you almost have to remove all of that stuff to find it.</STRONG>
I belive the template tells you how to find this wire without displacing the fuse box. I was wondering if more specific instructions could be given on locating this yellow wire... but I guess its hard to describe in words ...
Old 08-13-2001, 06:12 PM
Racer

Originally posted by ZodiakTL:
<STRONG>

so what happens if someone knows about this and forces the trunk open first, and when the light is on/shock sensor off, they can go ahead and do the same dirty deed?</STRONG>
You can't force my trunk open without setting the alarm off(shock sensor is still active until they get the trunk open).
Old 08-13-2001, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
<STRONG>

You can't force my trunk open without setting the alarm off(shock sensor is still active until they get the trunk open).</STRONG>
i think if they force the trunk open and if the shock sensor doesn't pick it up, the stock alarm still monitors the trunk (through the wire ajram tapped into for power).

i think nova is right that the alarm is off (at least the turnk trigger) when you open the trunk through the remote. but i think as soon as you close the trunk, there's a split second that the alarm arms yet still picks up a shock from the close that cuases it to go off.

someone taht hasn't done ajram's mod confirm this...open the trunk with the remote and try to cause the shock sensor to go off with the trunklid open.

or to test the stock alarm, leave a window open, open the trunk, and try to unlock the door by pulling on the little lock handle and see if the alarm is still armed or not when the trunk is open.

[ 08-13-2001: Message edited by: mrdeeno ]
Old 08-13-2001, 09:08 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NovaWhiteTypeS, exactly. Once you pop the trunk the alarm disarm. otherwise, it would go off cuz it monitor the trunk as well. however, if you just pop the trunk without opening any door, it would arms itself again. That why ppl (including me) have the illusion that it is never disarmed.
Old 08-14-2001, 04:19 PM
Racer

Those of you who installed your shock sensors the *old* way just try it. With your sensor set even somewhat sensitive, open and then close your trunk. 8 times out of 10 you'll set the alarm off.
Old 08-14-2001, 04:48 PM
Nightbane

Originally posted by SilverKnight:
<STRONG>NovaWhiteTypeS, exactly. Once you pop the trunk the alarm disarm. otherwise, it would go off cuz it monitor the trunk as well. however, if you just pop the trunk without opening any door, it would arms itself again. That why ppl (including me) have the illusion that it is never disarmed.</STRONG>

SilverKnight,

In your profile you have a link to your webpage with instructions for Mesh Grill and Sound, you list shock sensor but it's not on there? Whats up? Am I not looking in the right place?

Brenden