I'm Turbocharged!!! (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 06:55 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm Turbocharged!!! (long)

well, actually my wife is in her new 2004 Subaru Forester XT Premium!!

Our compact SUV shopping has come to its fruition with the Subaru purchase. We test drove and considered most of the cars in the small SUV class. This includes the Honda CR-V, Toyota RAV-4, Mitsubishi Outlander, Mazda Tribute, Hyundai Xsomething, Kia Sorrento, Suzuki Vitera, Jeep Liberty, Ford Escape, Rover Freelander, and probably a couple others that I cannot think of off hand. She was somewhat specific about what size car she wanted -- she thought cars like the Pilot, MDX, RX300/330, Cherokee, Explorer, Volvo were much too big. We also wanted to keep the budget as close to $25K as possible.

In the end we were deciding between the Toyota RAV-4 and the Honda CR-V. Most of the reviews list these two at the top. She didn't like the visibilty of the Toyota, and we both were underimpressed with the cargo capacity and passenger room. It did drive nicely, like a car.

We were very close to getting the CR-V. She liked the visibility, passenger room, and cargo space. The 2.4 iVTEC is a nice smooth engine with decent power. The inside layout was a bit weird and Honda seats were not the most comfortable in the world, but it still made the top of the list. Of couse, the dealers were not real willing to deal and one even suggested we pay MSRP for a 2003 model with the 2004s arriving in a few weeks.

For giggles, I suggested we look at Subaru on the same day that we got annoyed at the Honda MSRP comment. Although I think the Forester looks like a brick on wheels, she liked the way it looks. I'm convinced it's a station wagon; she thinks it looks like an SUV. We drove the XS (n/a model with premium package) and liked it. We liked it a lot. It hands down had the best visibility, best drivability, and had decent cargo space to boot. The moonroof is the largest thing I've ever seen in a car! It reminds me of the opening of a VW ragtop bus!

For more giggles, I suggested that she drive the XT model. This is the car with the 2.5 turbocharged air intercooled H-4 engine -- basically a detuned STi engine. This engine in the Forester is new for MY2004. It has an aluminum block, variable valve timing with DOHC, electronic throttle control -- real modern stuff. I should note that all the cars we drove were with automatic transmissions -- she has no interest in a M/T.

The XT is awesome. The launch and passing power surpasses anything else we drove. It has 210 HP and 235 ftlb torque. It takes this mom-mobile to another dimension. AWD is nice with a smooth 4 speed slush box. The turbo lag is negligible - stomp on the right pedal and it really takes off. The butt dyno says Subaru's numbers are right on.

I drove it on one of my twisty roads tonight. There's some body roll and understeer, but not too much considering it's an SUV (or whatever you want to call it). Never did it feel like the car wanted to roll over or was top heavy. Nice.

The XT with premium package comes well decked out too, much more so then the Toyota or Honda. The only thing it doesn't have is a navi system (which would have been nice). It has auto climate control, a nice cold weather package (heated seats, de-icers on the windshield and rear window, side mirror heaters), six disc in-dash CD player with 7 speakers, Alpine security system, compass, leather, etc.

The biggest negative is that this car requires premium grade fuel and the MPG is about 19 city & 24 highway (although some folks have posted better MPG on the Subaru forums). Since 70 - 80% of my wife's driving is in the city and traffic, the MPG was not a big issue.

We picked it up for $26K+change, just above invoice. She ended up with her second choice of Cayenne Red. We did a high and wide search of all the mid-atlantic states and part of the NorthEast and this was the only XT available with premium that wasn't white or gold (colors that my wife refused). There's no silver or black to be found either (her top choices, depending on the day). It seems like Subaru is not letting to many of these come ashore. I can tell you that I searched about 50 dealers and there were only about 4 XT premiums on their lots or coming in. We thought about ordering the car from the factory, but were told that the wait is typically 10 weeks, but can be up to 20 weeks! My wife wanted a new car sooner then later and was weary about the ordering thing so we didn't do a factory order (although I'd have probably done that if it was for me). We had to get the car shipped over from southern Maryland as there were no others in our (Philadelphia) area. The Metro Subaru guys said we have the first XT premium that they've sold.

Yes, this mini-SUV is about $3 - 4K more then the CR-V or RAV-4, but we're getting a lot more for our buck. The visibility alone was a major selling point of the Forester, not to mention the engine. The Forester also surpasses all other mini-SUVs in safety and crash tests, and comes standard with ABS and side airbags.

I took some nighttime pictures but the exterior shots didn't come out. I'll post more later if you want (especially after I Zaino it).

They really cram a lot into the engine bay. The horizontally opposed 4 cylinder engine block sits low in the bay which helps keep the center of the car's gravity nice and low. That's the engine mouted intercooler on top. The hood has a distinctive scoop.

Basic dashboard.

Auto climate control (like our CL), six CD in-dash. The dash is a bit plasticy, but no worse then anything else we drove.

All wheel drive baby! It'll be nice to have a winter ride for those occasional days of really bad weather. The distribution of drive from front to rear is not even and alternates with an electronically controlled clutch. The XT also has a viscous LSD at the rear axle.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:02 PM
TQ > MPG

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Looks nice man. You were lucky to get such a deal on a brand new model. The Subaru dealers in my area wouldn't budge off msrp on a 2003 WRX when the 04's were only a month from delivery.

Anyways, the CRV & Rav-4 are girly suv's anyway. AWD owns fwd in the snow and rain, and it has enough power to probably out-pull the CRV & Rav4 combined.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:06 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 976 Likes on 330 Posts
sweet
Old 08-25-2003, 07:16 PM
Disproportionate Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice choice bro. The lower center of gravity over typical Non-Volvo SUVs should give you added peace of mind as well...

(Of the "traditional" tall SUVs on the market, the Volvo is the only one I'd buy).
Old 08-25-2003, 07:38 PM
ex 6 Speed owner :(

That is actually my choice for our recreation car when the time comes (CL paid off). My good friend's Mom has a 2003 Forester and it is an excellent recreation/grocery getter/backpacking/etc. vehicle! I would love to drive the XT!! Good choice! The big decision for me is auto or 5 speed...
Old 08-25-2003, 07:59 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

awsome choice man, Im sure your wife will enjoy it. Please post pics of the exterior when you can, really wanna see how the scoop sets off the vehicle
Old 08-25-2003, 08:08 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by BlueCLS6
That is actually my choice for our recreation car when the time comes (CL paid off). My good friend's Mom has a 2003 Forester and it is an excellent recreation/grocery getter/backpacking/etc. vehicle! I would love to drive the XT!! Good choice! The big decision for me is auto or 5 speed...
As said, my wife doesn't drive stick, however if it was my primary car I'd be interested in the M/T.

Here's the BIG caveat: The M/T model does NOT come with the premium package! That means no leather or moonroof. Only the auto tranny comes 'fully loaded'.

I saw on a Subaru forum that the Canadian version had a premium package for the M/T too. Why they left that out for the USA is anyone's guess. Of course, a lot of subie folks are complaining to SOA for this shortcoming.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would rather drive that any day than a CR-v
Old 08-25-2003, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

C&D says those things run 13.8 in the 1/4 w/ the stick!!
Old 08-25-2003, 10:40 PM
East Coast Boost.!

C&D also said that it puts down some poor numbers on the skid pad. My parents have been thinking about this car, but my dad doesn't wanna pick it up cause of poor handling.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:15 AM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice choice that car is a sleeper.
Old 08-26-2003, 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Cool, My uncle has a first year model, 98, or 99 I think. He hasn't had 1 problem with it, just regular maintance he's at 75K miles, best car he ever had. Subaru is another over looked brand.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:28 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by gdubb
awsome choice man, Im sure your wife will enjoy it. Please post pics of the exterior when you can, really wanna see how the scoop sets off the vehicle
Ask and you shall receive...
No Zaino yet (it started to rain after I took these).

Old 08-26-2003, 02:58 PM
Masshole

Nice car...err, truck...err, wagon. F*ck it...it's a nice ride, man!
Old 08-26-2003, 03:17 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by Bulldog01
Nice car...err, truck...err, wagon. F*ck it...it's a nice ride, man!
I prefer to think of it as a brick on wheels It's soooo square.
Old 08-26-2003, 04:00 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

first time Ive seen one, looks great man!
Old 08-27-2003, 11:05 AM
Quicker than U Think

Sleeper!!! I tried to get my wife to look at them, but she insisted on at least 7 passenger seating. The XT will definately be on my short list for next cars. Great value, and who can argue with 13s stock. I wonder how much slower the auto is. I bet only a half second or so.

Nice purchase!!!!!
Old 08-27-2003, 11:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Smaller engine, turbo, or less boost than the STi?
Old 08-27-2003, 11:45 AM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by KCPreki11
Smaller engine, turbo, or less boost than the STi?
It's the same 2.5 L flat-4 engine with the same block, bore, stroke, compression ratio, and variable valve timing. From what I've seen on Subaru forums, the STi has a bigger intercooler and turbo, as well as intake and ECU map changes. Boost on the Forester is about 10 - 12 psi. The internals on the STi are forged (I think) so can take a little more punishment.

People in the Subaru community are real excited about this 'sleeper' SUV and think that it can be easily modded back up the STi 300 HP. I think both Cobb and Vishnu Tuning are working on upgrades. It also looks like a lot of the performance mods for the WRX/STi will bolt right on the XT.

Here's a thread from NASIOC commenting on the differences and the mod-ability of the engines click me
Old 08-27-2003, 03:48 PM
Instructor

0 to 60 in 6.2 seconds?
Old 08-27-2003, 03:53 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Nice brick!!! Be fun to launch next to a 5.0 Mustang for giggles!!
Old 08-27-2003, 04:04 PM
4-8-15-16-23-42

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
my buddy's got a 2001 i think lim edition legacy sedan and with the low engine placement and awd he takes corners in the rain at like 50 and it'll slip for about a 1/2 sec, and then wham catches like it's back on rails. i'd do about 3 360s in the same situation

nice pick bro
Old 08-27-2003, 05:56 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Originally posted by SILVERADO
0 to 60 in 6.2 seconds?
From a C&D review (in reference to the manual transmission version):
The force-fed flat-four's combination of torque, gearing, and weight will get you a blazing 0-to-60 time of 5.3 seconds and a quarter-mile of 13.8 seconds at 97 mph, just 0.3 second slower than an $89,665 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Old 08-27-2003, 06:27 PM
Old timer

Not too fond of its looks but props on the purchase. I'm sure it'll be easy to tune a little more power out of it too!
Old 08-28-2003, 04:46 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,421 Posts
fukkin cool...sleeper hot rod for the wifey...when are ya gonna mod it????