IM F'D! need help from everyone

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sidemarker:

Try to get a writen statement from your dealer on what actually caused the problem. Unless it says that your mods is the cause, the extended warraty company can't deny your claim. If all else fails, have you considered filing a claim from your insurance company?
Old 10-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Chung S
Sidemarker:

Try to get a writen statement from your dealer on what actually caused the problem. Unless it says that your mods is the cause, the extended warraty company can't deny your claim. If all else fails, have you considered filing a claim from your insurance company?
i really dont want my insurance to get involved. i rather use it for very serious claims like an auto accident.

well here is an update

GM gave me 2 options:

Option 1. He tells me there is no way mastertech will consider doing any work nor will they pitch in a dime for my problem. He tells me how they have numerous legal people and they all know what they are doing. Furthermore if they were doing something legal they would already have a big lawsuit in their hands. So pretty much he tells me since im his customer the dealership will do a goodwill act and go half on a new used motor. This will cost me approx. $2500.

Option 2. Give me a trade in value of the car if it already had a motor. I asked how much he had a sales rep call me and this is what he says. "well if you can get the car back to stock specifications with the height of the car and the mufflers then we can give you the trade in value according to KBB of $13,500 or just the way it is for $11,300." I didnt know if i should have started to crack up laughing or curse him out!

In my life right now I am not ready to purchase another honda/acura vehicle. Although i love my cl-s it has given me much heart ache and this event has really made me "hate" acura! the dealership is owned by GUNN, and they have infiniti and some other dealerships but i am not interested in any of the infinitis.

I do miss having a car right now. its been about 2 weeks. I could technically get into a car tomorrow but i would lose a lot from the trade in plus i would have a car payment and of course there is nothing and i do mean nothing they could offer me at any of their dealerships for me to consider driving. If they had a 03 IS 300 5 speed with navi or 03 m3 with navi i would jump on one of them. the is 300 because of the price, and the m3 because it is my dream car.

I am not giving up this fight. No sir! but bottom line i need transportation. I am leaning on the 1st option so that i can get back on the road again. But i think i could still battle the fuckers (either mastertech or acura) or at least give them a hard time. Who knows maybe I'll win some huge lawsuit or get reimbursed for the motor??

one problem i am having with the 1st option is that its not a new motor.however they will let me know what kind of condtion and mileage it will have. It will have a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty on it though. Second it will take 2 and a half week until i get my car back. Im telling yall i need a car now cause im tired of this car pooling people driving me around crap!

its officially the weekend now and all i can do at this point is just wait till monday.

i miss my car and right now i think i want her back!

sidemarker
Old 10-23-2004, 05:25 AM
ALi G in the House!

just get a lawyer and have him deal with it. i bet u the first thing he does it tell you to get a rental. you'll get reimbursed for it once u win the case (which from my reading sounds like you will..)
Old 10-23-2004, 09:55 AM
Meat stick

Received 229 Likes on 97 Posts
Another option is to pay the 2500, get your car back. In the meantime see if the dealership will give you a loaner.

ALSO, get a lawyer. Get your case going, and have everything reimbursed once you win. This way, they end up paying, but you get back in your car.

HTH
Old 10-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sidemarker
i really dont want my insurance to get involved. i rather use it for very serious claims like an auto accident.
Your car insurance gennerally will not cover mechanical failures like this.

He tells me there is no way mastertech will consider doing any work nor will they pitch in a dime for my problem. He tells me how they have numerous legal people and they all know what they are doing. Furthermore if they were doing something legal they would already have a big lawsuit in their hands.
He knows more about the car business than either you or I do and if he says Mastertech is legal, I'd take his word for it and forget trying to get anything out of them.

So pretty much he tells me since im his customer the dealership will do a goodwill act and go half on a new used motor. This will cost me approx. $2500.
Looks to me like Gunn is going out of their way to help you. Remember that your original Acura warranty has run out and they are legally obligated to do nothing.

Option 2. Give me a trade in value of the car if it already had a motor. I asked how much he had a sales rep call me and this is what he says. "well if you can get the car back to stock specifications with the height of the car and the mufflers then we can give you the trade in value according to KBB of $13,500 or just the way it is for $11,300." I didnt know if i should have started to crack up laughing or curse him out!
With the mods and a blown engine that sounds reasonable. Remember they will have to spend about 5k to put the motor in before they can sell it. Like I said, they don't have to do anything for you.

....and of course there is nothing and i do mean nothing they could offer me at any of their dealerships for me to consider driving.
Anything on their used lots that are of interest? You might be able to get into something for just a few bucks over the trade in and trade up later on.

$2500 for a used motor installed with warranty is not a bad deal.

I am not giving up this fight...... But i think i could still battle the fuckers (either mastertech or acura) or at least give them a hard time. Who knows maybe I'll win some huge lawsuit or get reimbursed for the motor??
Don't waste your time and money. Neither Acura or Mastertech legally owes you a dime. I think that's as good as it's going to get.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Yeah, insurance will NEVER cover mechanical failure unless you have a special rider or additional insurance from another company. Honestly, if you haven't gotten a lawyer yet, get one ASAP. The reason I say this is that you don't want to dig yourself into a deep hole with all the conversations and such with everyone you've talked to from Acura to Mastertech.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Balla on a Budget

Y are u not talking to a lawyer? Almost all of them offer free consultations
Old 10-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by ktgumbo
Y are u not talking to a lawyer? Almost all of them offer free consultations
I'm wondering this too? I'd at least talk to one & have them give you some advise before taking any "deal" You seem to have things documented well enough.
Old 10-23-2004, 02:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

How much do you think the car is worth?

What year and how many miles?
Old 10-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Zippee
How much do you think the car is worth?

What year and how many miles?
i really want to slap them for this one.

02 cl-s 61k miles with navi trade in value if i change everything back to stock= $13,500

if not then $11,000!

and right in the parking lot i see a used 02 cl-s non navi going for $20,500.

sidemarker
Old 10-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

i really want to slap them for this one.

02 cl-s 61k miles with navi trade in value if i change everything back to stock= $13,500

if not then $11,000!

and right in the parking lot i see a used 02 cl-s non navi going for $20,500.

sidemarker
Go take a look at Kelly Blue Book, trade in for your car in "good" condition is 13,270. His numbers are not that far off. If he'll give you 11k for your car as it sits in the shop and suck up the cost of the motor, that's not bad.

Private party value is 16,340, with the mods you may not get that on the street. You might go ahead and buy the motor for 2500 and then try to sell the car if you want something differnt.

To me the difference isn't enough to screw with. I'd jump on the dealers offer like Oprah jumping on a pork chop.
Old 10-23-2004, 07:05 PM
Advanced

First thing Monday talk to a lawyer, Acura may say Mastertech is right but maybe Acura is just BS'in you. See what the lawyer says and if all else fails trade it in on a G35.
Old 10-26-2004, 05:02 PM
Houses Won't Depreciate?

Any news sidemarker ?
Old 10-26-2004, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by zamo
Any news sidemarker ?
as a matter of fact YES

well last week i watched the movie Rainmaker on tv. And for those of yall that have not seen it its about an insurance company screwing over a kid with leukemia. Anyways it bothered me so much that damn mastertech would not give me the phone number to their floridia branch where i could talk to the vice president and who is also responsible with claims. So after making several phone calls to other "sister" companies i finally got the number to the florida branch. called them up and talked to the supervisors. he pulled my file up on the computer and i pretty much give him my story about how the texas branch was giving me a hard time. Turns out that he has NONE of my letters that i wrote to the company. So i asked if i could just fax it directly to him. He said yes and i called him after the fax he said he was going to review it with the VP and let me know what happens. He was a lot easier to speak with and he didnt even rebuttal anything i said about the M-M warranty act. So who knows maybe the fookin texas branch screwed me over and never gave my info to the proper people.

sidemarker
Old 10-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
That's some good news. Hope it gets worked out.
Old 11-22-2004, 09:57 PM
steelheader

Sidemarker...

What happened regarding your comunication with the Mastertech Veep??
Old 11-23-2004, 03:32 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/pics-m3-161555/

Im guessing everything turned out ok
Old 11-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by banosser
What happened regarding your comunication with the Mastertech Veep??
ever watch the movie the rainmaker?

well im starting to believe that most insurance systems are the same

DENY WHEN POSSIBLE EVEN IF IT COULD VIOLATE THE LAW LET THE INSURER BRING A LAWYER INVOLVED!

they are counting on me not to bring in a lawyer. I really really really want to but i have a downfall. I have little patience with certain things and i hate to wait and ive been in a similar situation with lawyers and insurance stuff it brings a lot of stress. this whole thing could be settled within a month or over a year. I want to go after them because of the principal. However i have consulted 2 attorneys and i dont feel them at all so if i can find one within the next month that i feel will be serious enough to represent me im going after the big bad guys.

sidemarker
Old 11-23-2004, 10:51 AM
Grand Turismo

ever watch the movie the rainmaker?

well im starting to believe that most insurance systems are the same

DENY WHEN POSSIBLE EVEN IF IT COULD VIOLATE THE LAW LET THE INSURER BRING A LAWYER INVOLVED!

they are counting on me not to bring in a lawyer. I really really really want to but i have a downfall. I have little patience with certain things and i hate to wait and ive been in a similar situation with lawyers and insurance stuff it brings a lot of stress. this whole thing could be settled within a month or over a year. I want to go after them because of the principal. However i have consulted 2 attorneys and i dont feel them at all so if i can find one within the next month that i feel will be serious enough to represent me im going after the big bad guys.

sidemarker
Your wasting your time. M + M does not cover modifications to the car and their is a loophole that mastertech can use to get out of it.

Secondly, you fucked up. You broke your contract and now you want to project blame on MasterTech or Acura. Don't project, Acura nor Mastertech is obligated to do shit for you. You did this to yourself. Now, deal with it.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BakedWafer
Your wasting your time. M + M does not cover modifications to the car and their is a loophole that mastertech can use to get out of it.

Secondly, you fucked up. You broke your contract and now you want to project blame on MasterTech or Acura. Don't project, Acura nor Mastertech is obligated to do shit for you. You did this to yourself. Now, deal with it.
you are my hero!

sidemarker
Old 11-23-2004, 11:04 AM
Suzuka Master

i think its natural to blame. Also i am not asking acura or mastertech to cover the aftermarket parts. Only the OEM parts that broke, hence the motor. Hey i dont know what happend to my car but according to the MM it stipulates that the warrantor has to "prove" that aftermarket parts caused the problem. You are right the MM does not cover modifications but that is something i am not concerned about. You are also correct that I broke the contract by adding the aftermarket parts to the the car but that is not what i am concerned about.

All i want is for mastertech to prove that my modifications caused the problems to the vehicle. If they do it and prove that it did fine i pay for my mistake. however they wont and i dont care if you or they think they are not obligated to because they are according to the M-M warranty act.

sidemarker
Old 11-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

another thing

i think my claim is legit. this is not a scam nor is it frivolous. i purchased there most expensive policy and this is what i get??? hey if you dont want to deal with this shit then get out of the insurance business and open some other business.

sidemarker
Old 11-25-2004, 01:34 PM
Beware of leakage

another thing

i think my claim is legit. this is not a scam nor is it frivolous. i purchased there most expensive policy and this is what i get??? hey if you dont want to deal with this shit then get out of the insurance business and open some other business.

sidemarker
Still agree with ya.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:51 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Here are my suggestions. Ran it by some legal folk at work.

I request that your committee reconsider the preliminary decision of this claim. If the decision is not resolved, it will be evident that MasterTech failed to provide the coverage set forth in the binding agreement of the Vehicle protection program contract. I will then consider taking strong legal action to make sure a more equitable decision is made to finalize the outcome of this claim.
Nice additions!

FWIW . . . I never trust non-dealer warranty service companies. I've only used manuafaturer services like Toyota's. I've heard too many horro stories from folks who get 3rd party extended warranty packages. No different that a homeowner warranty companies . . . they really suck as well . . . unless you're willing to accept inferior parts and or technicians.

Ruf
Old 11-27-2004, 11:15 AM
Lead Footed

well here is an update

GM gave me 2 options:

Option 1. He tells me there is no way mastertech will consider doing any work nor will they pitch in a dime for my problem. He tells me how they have numerous legal people and they all know what they are doing. Furthermore if they were doing something legal they would already have a big lawsuit in their hands. So pretty much he tells me since im his customer the dealership will do a goodwill act and go half on a new used motor. This will cost me approx. $2500.

sidemarker
Assuming the dealer really doen't have any liability here this is a pretty fair option from them . . .

. . . I know dealers have a bucket of $$ to cover goodwill situations, but I can't help wonder if the dealer isn't feeling some concern over them selling you a lowlife warranty contract that is obviously worded in their favor . . one reason why I usually don't by extended warranty unless . . .

1) I plan on keeping it stock
2) the car model has a suspect quality issue

. . . so my wife's car has extended and mine doesn't :P

In the end, if you can't get the dealer (and or Acrua/Honda) to support an official statement that these mods WILL NOT have any adverse impact on the viabililty of the powertrain . . . then this might be the least expensive and time consuming option . . . not the one you or I'd want in the end.

Ruf
Old 11-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Lead Footed

Originally Posted by Zippee
$2500 for a used motor installed with warranty is not a bad deal.

Don't waste your time and money. Neither Acura or Mastertech legally owes you a dime. I think that's as good as it's going to get.
And likewise I'm not supporting the fact that these mods are not the cause of the problem . . . been a mechanic in my early life and there's no way these mods would have contributed to the failure. Perhaps improper maintenance and or overriding the revlimiter or changing the valve timing could contribute to it . . . but not those mods.

Bottome line is that it sounds like Mastertechs written some very low risk agreements designed to make money and nothing else . . . err, perhaps bilk unsuspecting consumers which I do think was their intent. A worthless deal is what they are really selling . . . IMO

Ruf
Old 11-27-2004, 11:24 AM
Lead Footed

as a matter of fact YES

well last week i watched the movie Rainmaker on tv. And for those of yall that have not seen it its about an insurance company screwing over a kid with leukemia. Anyways it bothered me so much that damn mastertech would not give me the phone number to their floridia branch where i could talk to the vice president and who is also responsible with claims. So after making several phone calls to other "sister" companies i finally got the number to the florida branch. called them up and talked to the supervisors. he pulled my file up on the computer and i pretty much give him my story about how the texas branch was giving me a hard time. Turns out that he has NONE of my letters that i wrote to the company. So i asked if i could just fax it directly to him. He said yes and i called him after the fax he said he was going to review it with the VP and let me know what happens. He was a lot easier to speak with and he didnt even rebuttal anything i said about the M-M warranty act. So who knows maybe the fookin texas branch screwed me over and never gave my info to the proper people.

sidemarker
ooo . . . this could be interesting . . . can't wait to hear what happens . . .

Ruf
Old 11-27-2004, 11:42 AM
Lead Footed

What a really nice and thoughtful post . . . did someone piss on your party??

Other than the term loophole . . there's no validity to your comments. And loophole implies an intent to circumvent something . . . in this case the warranty company has a loophole to circumvent any real liability on their part so they can screw unsuspecting consumers . . .

The only thing Sidemarker did was trust the dealer to sell him a decent extended warranty coverage plan . . . and not have a lawyer review that agreement to see if it was worth it's salt . . . and ITS NOT

Ruf